Need help with (CPU) Upgrade - budget build.

Hey guys!

First of, I want to state that I'm clueless when it comes to hardware, so any help is appreciated!
    I usually play WoW and FPS Shooters (CoD, CS, Apex, Borderlands etc.)

With the release of Borderlands 3, my build is really struggling - My CPU is maxed, while my GPU is only at 50% (So I'm guessing my CPU+MOBO is the main problem).
    I am looking for a "best-value build", so I was looking at 3700x. since my budget is around 5-599$ (But preferably in the lower end)

My current build:

CPU: Intel i5-6600
    GPU: 1070 Asus Strix
    PSU: Corsair VS550 550W
    RAM: HyperX FURY DDR4 Memory (2x8GB)
    MOBO: B150M-A

What parts would you replace?

(Also, I have no clue what MOBO fits with certain CPU's so please help with viable combinations )

Thank you for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by This One Time At Bandcamp View Post
    Hey guys!

First of, I want to state that I'm clueless when it comes to hardware, so any help is appreciated!
    I usually play WoW and FPS Shooters (CoD, CS, Apex, Borderlands etc.)

With the release of Borderlands 3, my build is really struggling - My CPU is maxed, while my GPU is only at 50% (So I'm guessing my CPU+MOBO is the main problem).
    I am looking for a "best-value build", so I was looking at 3700x. since my budget is around 5-599$ (But preferably in the lower end)

My current build:

CPU: Intel i5-6600
    GPU: 1070 Asus Strix
    PSU: Corsair VS550 550W
    RAM: HyperX FURY DDR4 Memory (2x8GB)
    MOBO: B150M-A

What parts would you replace?

(Also, I have no clue what MOBO fits with certain CPU's so please help with viable combinations )

Thank you for your time!

You could get away with just replacing the CPU and MoBo. The DDR4 in your Intel build might be slower than Ryzen likes, but it will still work (if its DDR4-3000 or better, itll be fine).

You could also simply look for a used i7 for that socket (after updating the BIOS itll take 7000-series chips as well as 6000-series chips). Dont ignore a K-sku chip if you can find one for a decent price, as while you will not be able to overclock it on B150, in the 6 and 7 series chips, the K-sku's also have higher base and boost clocks.

A new Ryzen chip (no point in spending out on the 3600X vs the plain 3600) and a decent MoBo (the B450 Tomahawk is very good and affordable) will probably run you ~300$-350 depending on where you get it and whats on sale. If you live near a Micro Center, you can probably get it cheaper (they usually offer a deal on a MoBo+CPU combo).

If you look around on Craigslist or eBay you might be able to find a i7-6700 or i7-7700, for 150-200$.

Also, just because your CPU is maxed your GPU isnt, unless you're missing a performance target (like, its not hitting 60fps because of it) then it isn't an issue. My GPU is rarely maxed out in most games, and neither is my CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you're getting a frame rate you're comfortable with, don't upgrade. If you aren't.. Then you have a reason to.

The MOBO you have can support Intels 6000 and 7000 series CPUs if you upgrade the BIOS, so try looking for a 6700(k) or 7700(k) if you want an easy upgrade. They'll be just drag and drop. You'll need new thermal paste though (probably). This will involve scavenging used-sites in your area though, since they aren't sold new.

If you want something newer and better, you can upgrade to a B450/X570 chipset and Ryzen 3000 series. I wouldn't buy a 3700x if you just game on it, it offers almost no performance benefit over a 3600 non-x. If you go with this option you'll have to replace the entire motherboard as well, but you can reuse everything else. RAM might be a bit slow, but if you have 2666 we're talking ~5-10% downgrade over 3000, and that might not be worth the ~80 dollars you're looking at for new RAM.

Thank you for your answers!

I didn't realize 3600 and 3700x were relatively close in gaming.
    Will the B450/x570 be compatible out of the box or do they need a BIOS update? (...With the whole 3000 series?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by This One Time At Bandcamp View Post
    Thank you for your answers!

I didn't realize 3600 and 3700x were relatively close in gaming.
    Will the B450/x570 be compatible out of the box or do they need a BIOS update? (...With the whole 3000 series?)
    B450 might, depending on how old the stock is and how lazy the retailer is. They shouldn't need a bios update though, most un-updated stock should either have been sold off or updated by now.
    X570 will not though, it was created and launched with the 3000 series. That said, with some of the newer BIOS's out there, it might be an idea to update if you're having performance issues, but you won't need to do it before booting your system

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    but if you have 2666 we're talking ~5-10% downgrade over 3000, and that might not be worth the ~80 dollars you're looking at for new RAM.
    If it's even 5%. The major performance gains come above 3000 with Ryzen 3, especially.

For the OP:

I really wouldn't bother with X570 unless there's some feature you need there. Its a lot of extra spend-out for not much gain. B450 is fine. Grab the Tomahawk if you can find it and call it a day.