Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I would argue being educated is a state of mind. What Trump has are degrees and diplomas, but that doesn't make him educated imo
    The thing is, calling someone uneducated, even though the got an Ivy education. Is what helps Trump with the assertion that he is fighting elites. He is educated, at an Ivy League school, where educated middle class can only get in after busting ass. The fact that Trump squandered it, since his daddy’s money made it unnecessarily, should not let him carry the same banner as the middle class he tries to appeal to. He didn’t get an education because he couldn’t afford it or had some sort of hardship impede him. He tossed what would be hundreds of thousands of dollars in modern day, because his daddy would pay for it regardless.

Trump’s apparent lack of education is the result of affluenza affliction, not the affliction of being an average American. The average American not being able to afford higher education affliction is what democrats are trying to fix. Affluenza required a doctor...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Trump got an Ivy League education in Pennsylvania.
    Yeah, I know the story. He was educated (as in, he was receiving education) but he clearly is not educated in the everyday, adjectival sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Who said Wall Street? I hate Wall Street. Vote for Elizabeth Warren to piss off Wall Street? Of course I would, just watch me.
    I tend to think that she is copying the Obama playbook. She will likely have a few inside her circle if she is to win the presidency. That is not to say i would not vote for her which i obviously would just be mindful of her is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Conservatives insisting this is a bad thing just makes it even more apparent this is a very good thing. Seriously, fuck Wall Street.
    You dont necessarily want to just say "fuck wall street" 100%. I'd say fck them 90%, but they still have a lot of control over the economy, retirement plans, etc. I'd say listen to what they say but be skeptical about their reasons for saying so.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    You dont necessarily want to just say "fuck wall street" 100%. I'd say fck them 90%, but they still have a lot of control over the economy, retirement plans, etc. I'd say listen to what they say but be skeptical about their reasons for saying so.
    They need to be regulated, not removed completely, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    They need to be regulated, not removed completely, I agree.
    For example, the Warren tax on every trade made. Most people just think "Fuck yeah! Fuck Wall street!" However, they don't realize that 401k plans, retirement plans, and indexes all have algorithms that adjust their portfolio constantly for the best returns for their clients. If we put a tax on every single trade, then that could effect the portfolios of every person in america. I guess the algorithms would take that in mind and would be more conservative in the number of trades they do. The game would just be changed a bit. I don't know the full effects of the proposal, but it's best to think about EVERYONE that could be adversely affected by a policy and not just be laser focused on fucking Wall Street in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    This is especially important in 2020. Democrats have been lucky that the Republicans ran very technologically and organizationally obsolete campaigns (1990s model) in 2008 and 2012. It gave them a massive competitive advantage. Obama's campaigns were extraordinarily innovative in terms of funding, voter out reach, communications and get out the vote. Hillary's 2016 campaign rode that as well, with many of the same people, and did it against Donald Trump's super minimalist campaign that was a shitshow from top to bottom.

That isn't what Democrats are facing in 2020. They're facing the most modern Republican campaign ever, with technology and organization on par with what Democrats usually field. Donald Trump will sit at the top of it, but Republicans have decided to enter the 21st century with campaigning finally and are aping the post-2008 Democratic model. It's high tech, and very "grass-roots-y".
    I think you've underestimated the capability of the GOP election machine in the past decade. 2010 best showed what they were capable of and they got some serious shit done. They won tonnes of elections ranging everywhere from multiple Governor races all the way down to local dogcatcher. They then used those gains to rig elections to further reinforce their positions. The GOP has shit tonnes of dark money and the will to use it.

The problem is they keep electing fucking clowns to office. Trump might be the head clown but he's by no means the only one. Baiting libtards only gets you so far. It amuses your base but you still gotta bring home the bacon. The Dems had numerous gains in 2018 despite competing in a rigged game. 2020 will be a little more favourable for them since some of the electoral maps the GOP used are being tossed out for something that's a little more favourable.

10+ Year Old Account
    For example, the Warren tax on every trade made. Most people just think "Fuck yeah! Fuck Wall street!" However, they don't realize that 401k plans, retirement plans, and indexes all have algorithms that adjust their portfolio constantly for the best returns for their clients. If we put a tax on every single trade, then that could effect the portfolios of every person in america. I guess the algorithms would take that in mind and would be more conservative in the number of trades they do. The game would just be changed a bit. I don't know the full effects of the proposal, but it's best to think about EVERYONE that could be adversely affected by a policy and not just be laser focused on fucking Wall Street in the ass.
    I don't see pensions or 401k's being effective once the economy collapses. Remember a 401k is just your retirement money used to purchase stock, and if the stock collapses then guess what happens to your retirement fund? Most pension plans are also on the Exchange Traded Fund, which is just an investment fund traded on stock exchanges. Either way, it will end badly.

Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sander's, and Andrew Yang all have the right idea, but have a lot of opposition against them. The reason we need something like taxing trade is because for over a decade the 2008 recession was never a burden on the wealthy, and it needed to be their burden. The wealthy don't like the idea of paying their fair share, and will fight against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I don't see pensions or 401k's being effective once the economy collapses. Remember a 401k is just your retirement money used to purchase stock, and if the stock collapses then guess what happens to your retirement fund? Most pension plans are also on the Exchange Traded Fund, which is just an investment fund traded on stock exchanges. Either way, it will end badly.

Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sander's, and Andrew Yang all have the right idea, but have a lot of opposition against them. The reason we need something like taxing trade is because for over a decade the 2008 recession was never a burden on the wealthy, and it needed to be their burden. The wealthy don't like the idea of paying their fair share, and will fight against it.
    The smarter approach to Democrats, which they are doing on Climate change, is to push through reform, programs and taxation at the State level. It'll hit most Americans and most constitutiencies.

If people in Wyoming want to live their frontier-life late 19th century fantasy, let them rot, be without healthcare and die at the age of 71, what do we care?

The smarter approach to Democrats, which they are doing on Climate change, is to push through reform, programs and taxation at the State level. It'll hit most Americans and most constitutiencies.

If people in Wyoming want to live their frontier-life late 19th century fantasy, let them rot, be without healthcare and die at the age of 71, what do we care?
    The big problem is cost since states lack the power to regulate those costs. That'll be something the federal government needs to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't want it to hit most Americans because most Americans are tapped out. Too much debt, too much of their pay going towards rent/mortgage. The burden must fall onto the wealthy.
    We care about human lives. We want people to move out of crowded cities to help lower rent cost. We want people to not worry about their health and keeping their job.

Would need an exception for retirement plans for people making under a certain value. Can't just blanket exempt retirement funds since the super rich would just hide their trades as retirement funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Wait a minute. Wasn't one of the major complaints against Hillary from the Right was that she was in the pocket of Wall Street. And that she would pack her administration with Wall Street moguls?

But suddenly the Right repescts Wall Street?!?!?!?!?!?!
    The only thing that the Right stands for nowadays is pissing off the Left

10+ Year Old Account
    *looks at the title*

That's the entire point. Congratulations.

Also if "vote for our candidate or else we'll fund white supremacists" is the best reason you can give to vote for Biden, please don't question why the majority of people don't like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimensius View Post
    The only thing that the Right stands for nowadays is pissing off the Left
    Are you saying that the left doesn' do things to piss off the right? I can go into any number of threads in this politics sub forum and find people saying they're voting for someone or something just to piss off the right.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Are you saying that the left doesn' do things to piss off the right? I can go into any number of threads in this politics sub forum and find people saying they're voting for someone or something just to piss off the right.
    I don't think you can. Because the left is smarter than that, we don't fuck ourselves over like you right wingers have with Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I don't think you can. Because the left is smarter than that, we don't fuck ourselves over like you right wingers have with Trump.
    Also our wack jobs don't rise to the top on the right the crazies get top billing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly the concept of just three powers is outdated. The Executive, Legislative and Judiciary should be joined by Electoral and Auditory authorities that are independent.
    Yeah basically I'd take the Office of Government Ethics and make it a fourth branch.

And perhaps a separate one solely for elections, also responsible for districting to eliminate gerrymandering.

Would definitely require multiple Amendments though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

owell. Warren or Sanders will be an uphill battle, but one definitely worth fighting

10+ Year Old Account
    What I don't get is how is Biden ahead in the polls? Does anyone actually like him?