Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

'Clicker' for 15 years and counting...is keybinding really that much better?

The confession is in the subject. I have (for the most part), just clicked my way through the game since Vanilla, using various mods and such of course. No matter how often someone tries to convert me, I just can't shake my clicking play style. That said, it has never caused me to under-perform in healing or dps. Ever. In fact, I usually perform better than people who swear by keybinds. So is it REALLY that much better, easier and efficient?

It could be that I'm working twice as hard as everyone else for the same result, I don't know. Every time I've tried to bind, I can't adapt. It just doesn't work. I either need professional help or validation that clicking is actually 'ok' as long as I'm not screwing other people over or limiting my own play experience. Thoughts? Advice? Anything?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is.

By norm, it is.

But you do whatever feels more comfortable to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Yes, it is.
    But if it is, then why am I doing just fine when everyone else in my group is binding?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    But if it is, then why am I doing just fine when everyone else in my group is binding?
    You could be doing better.

You are bottlenecking your own performance.

As someone who used to be a clicker, playing melee for many, many years... and used to die to bad stuff easily on a rogue, trust me, make the transition. You won't believe how much a difference it makes until you get used to using the keyboard. Then you'll wonder how or why you ever even played as a clicker.

Also, for healing specifically, my frames are set up so that I just use the Clique add-on and hover-target-click anyway. How would it be better to assign a button than to just left/right/shift+/etc. click for spells? When I think about it, how would I do both that AND use the mouse for moving at the same time? I couldn't.

Thoughts? Advice? Anything?
    stop with the attention seeking.
    change can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothg View Post
    You could be doing better.
    This dude. Yes, it's better - don't even question it. I clicked like you did from vanilla to WOTLK, and keybind is, without a sliver of a shadow of a doubt in my mind, FAR superior. It might take like, a week or two tops to get used to but you'll be doing waaaaaaay better. Now do yourself a favor and get started!

To make the transition easier, start by binding your most used abilities, and as time goes on and as you get more comfortable, you can start binding more and more of your abilities. That's pretty much what I did when I used to click from TBC to like Mid Wrath.

The game is so dumbed down that you could probably play it using a very simple gamepad.

Just play the way you are comfy with.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you are good while clicking, you'd even better with keybinds. I couldn't imagine healing without mouseover macros.

There was one german hunter that clicked and played in a top20 some years ago. Don't know if he is still playing.

5+ Year Old Account
    If you give up every time you try it of course you're not going to get better at it bro.

I used to be a clicker too, was one for almost an entire decade, but I decided my performance wasn't as high as it should be so I had to unlearn the muscle memory of clicking and kept going at it for quite some time with binds. It was hard at first but eventually my muscles got used to it and now it's second nature.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    This dude. Yes, it's better - don't even question it. I clicked like you did from vanilla to WOTLK, and keybind is, without a sliver of a shadow of a doubt in my mind, FAR superior. It might take like, a week or two tops to get used to but you'll be doing waaaaaaay better. Now do yourself a favor and get started!
    Ok, just answer one question for me: what is the mouse used for if you're keybinding all abilities? I use scroll to zoom in and out and WASD for movement now. I can't imagine using the mouse to move. With WASD, I can both move and mouse-adjust the camera far more efficiently.

Also, for healing specifically, my frames are set up so that I just use the Clique add-on and hover-target-click anyway. How would it be better to assign a button than to just left/right/shift+/etc. click for spells? When I think about it, how would I do both that AND use the mouse for moving at the same time? I couldn't.
    Oh, okay, so can I hear how what combination of button/mouse presses you do now, cause this doesn't sound like you're a clicker to me. This sounds like Shift/CTRL/ALT with a mouse button, but when I hear someone saying "clicker" I'm thinking the person who has the spell on their action bar, goes over and clicks on the spell, then drags their mouse over the nameplate/target frame and clicks that. If you're just hovering over a name in something like HealBot and just pressing shift/left click there, that's not a clicker to me, you've got it binded to something.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like FPS players. Clickers are like controller users and keybinders are keyboard/mouse users. You can still perform well and do mythic raiding as a clicker, but your overall ceiling is lower than a keybinders. I the most common reason most people don't transition to keybinding is that you have to learn the muscle memory and condition your hand to do more than just press WASD. I remember when I did, it took about 1 1/2 weeks before I started to get the hang of it. Completely changing how the game felt since I had access to all 30+ abilities with my left hand instead of trying to play whack a mole with my cursor. Again, you can raid mythic and do decent keystones as a clicker, but the ceiling as a clicker will always be lower than a keybinders.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a gaming mouse you can accomodate more clicks like you already do with shift. I usually only click as healer, but I keybind a few spells like trinks, ccs, and interrupts. I started out clicking but slowly added one keybind at a time into my rotation.

Try it for a week.