Florida County Board Rejects Library's New York Times Subscription as 'Fake News'

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019...ork-times.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-yor...ump-fake-news/

So in Florida, a County Board rejected a Library's request for a digital subscription to NYT, with at least one commissioners citing 'Fake News' as the reason.

I'm kind of curious about this, as far as I know, there is no real credibility in calling the NYT fake news, but here you a County Commissioner citing it as the reason for not allowing a subscription to the library, publicly.

This would seem like a dangerous game, to deny a public library the funds by publicly declaring that the publication is fake news, wouldn't that open you up to also sorts of legal issues?
    Last edited by Casterbridge; 2019-11-05 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added link to an extra article

This is nothing more than Trump cultists proving their complete ignorance.

Their entire religion is based on avoiding being informed, so this is par for the course.

I'm not sure what legal matters come up. They aren't required to have the web subscription at the library.

I would imagine any district that has someone calls accurately reporting the news "fake" is unlikely to be a place that does the proper response of removing him from his position.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019...ork-times.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-yor...ump-fake-news/

So in Florida, a County Board rejected a Library's request for a digital subscription to NYT, with at least one commissioners citing 'Fake News' as the reason.

I'm kind of curious about this, as far as I know, there is no real credibility in calling the NYT fake news, but here you a County Commissioner citing it as the reason for not allowing a subscription to the library, publicly.

This would seem like a dangerous game, to deny a public library the funds by publicly declaring that the publication is fake news, wouldn't that open you up to also sorts of legal issues?
    Possibly, although the legal grounds would be difficult to navigate, possibly expensive, and not worth the time at the end of the day.

This Fake News thing is only going to get worse. Citing the New York Times, one of the best journalistic publications in the world, as "fake" is beyond ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This is nothing more than Trump cultists proving their complete ignorance.

Their entire religion is based on avoiding being informed, so this is par for the course.
    I wonder how long it will carry on after he's out of office.

These are the parts of Florida that banned Harry Potter books for actual witchcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Florida Man can't read anyway.

In all honesty, Citrus County is one of the 'old fashioned' counties of FL. There's a ton of cities in FL with more people than Citrus County as a whole. Its a pocket of people who all buy into the same nonsense.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Florida Man can't read anyway.

In all honesty, Citrus County is one of the 'old fashioned' counties of FL. There's a ton of cities in FL with more people than Citrus County as a whole. Its a pocket of people who all buy into the same nonsense.
    What's sad is that all the kids in that area don't stand any fighting chance of learning about the real world. Racsim/hatred/[willful]ignorance) is all taught behavior. And that county just voted to keep their kids dump and hateful, all the while sucking on the government tit whilst simultaneously bemoaning it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I feel bad for the children in the area who don't have a choice about remaining ignorant, there's really probably nothing that can be done about it. When you get right down to it, having the government step in and require people to support a publication is as pernicious and dangerous in it's own way as the government censoring a publication. If we say that this place MUST support the New York Times, we can't very well turn around and say that it is wrong if they then require everyone support Breitbart.

Edit: To be clear, I'm talking about the federal government stepping in. This is the kind of decision that is intended to be handled at the local level, because the locals can replace the people making the decision if it's one they don't support.
    Last edited by Lynarii; 2019-11-05 at 11:40 PM.

There’s some goofs in the NYT I’m sure I could look up, but by and large it’s still the paper of record in my book. Calling it fake news is comparing it to CNN or Fox editorials. Just no.

Hmm... Forget black people, I'm starting to think that maybe we might need literacy and/or basic intelligence tests for holding public office these days.

/sarcasm...kinda

If they wanted to block it for financial reasons, they should have just said that instead of going with the "we're going to suck Trump's micropenis" angle.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-11-05 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I wonder how long it will carry on after he's out of office.
    There will be an absolute fuckload of people who didn't really vote for the guy and wore the hats just out of peer pressure...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Hmm... Forget black people, I'm starting to think that maybe we might need literacy and/or basic intelligence tests for holding public office these days.

/sarcasm...kinda

If they wanted to block it for financial reasons, they should have just said that instead of going with the "we're going to suck Trump's micropenis" angle.
    At some point people will realize that a random selection of people to serve as representatives is the best way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    There will be an absolute fuckload of people who didn't really vote for the guy and wore the hats just out of peer pressure...
    Lol, probably. We'll either descend into Gilead or find ourselves at some point relatively Trump-free. Then the Commission can begin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are Trump supporters such delicate snowflakes?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Well...at least they still have a public library. Burning all the books is the next logical step in Trumpland.