Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How do you feel about Mechagnome customization?

From what we have seen of this upcoming allied race, they have a severe amount of restriction in regards to how much they can customize their armor/transmog.

Specifically, they literally cannot equip boots, gloves, or bracers, and part of their chest armor and most of their leg armor does not show up. I haven't tested the head armors, but I'm sure the head alterations can clip and clash with many types of head armors. However, using those is totally optional anyways. It's also worth noting that some of the smaller shoulder armors clip badly with the arms, though this may be a bug.

How do you feel about this? Do you think it's okay, or do you feel like Blizzard should allow armor to be equipped over the mechanical parts, or perhaps something else entirely?

Personally I'm kind of conflicted on this. On one hand, I do really like the race and its theme, and I am okay with the mechanical parts standing out, but on the other hand, it's going to limit what you can do with them because the arms and legs will stick out like sore thumbs. And if you don't have armor that goes with the 3 color scheme options for them, it will probably look (and feel) bad.

PS: Please note that this is not a thread to vent about how much you hate mechagnomes or gnomes in general. Please take that to a different thread; if you hate this race there really isn't much to discuss here and there are plenty of threads for you to release your frustration in or whatever else. I'd also prefer if we don't compare them to Vulpera or other allied races (i.e., another race has better options, it's unfair to mechagnomes, etc.), and instead just talk about what you'd like to see done with this race on its own merits. Thanks for understanding!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no interest in the Mechagnomes, but if you're not gonna make most gear work with them, then don't add them to the game.

I think they were a really bad idea for an allied race in general, and this issue is one of the several different reasons why.

It's stupid there is no option to make them full mecha like Mechagon is. I think it would have been better as a Night Warrior/Golden Eyes Blood Elf option. Where you can take your existing gnome to Mechagon and choose to gain mecha enhancements.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Sounds similar to what Forsaken players have been complaining about for years. I think character customization has always been an afterthought for Blizzard. I'm frankly surprised they bother with Allied races at all, though I'm not surprised they half-ass it where they can.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

I think the ptr is on it's first freaking build and NOTHING is final.

Ffs guys you really think no gloves, feet, legs for mechagnomes will slide? Use your common sense.

Give them time. Im sure they'll come up with something thatll work similar to all the gear looks lots of races have, broken forsaken gear for example.

Mechagnomes are sick, let blizzard have time to polish them out before you cry about "how stupid they are".

I swear most of the people hating on them are just salty their idiotic helf fantasies got crapped on again.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    It's stupid there is no option to make them full mecha like Mechagon is.
    Same point , if you call race Mecha Gnomes allow atleast full-mecha-body option, otherwise its just gnomes that lost legs and hands in accident of stupidity = Junker Gnomes.
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2019-10-10 at 07:43 PM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

i like it.. to me the appeal of that AR is the robo bits so clamoring for covering them up makes no sense to me.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    i like it.. to me the appeal of that AR is the robo bits so clamoring for covering them up makes no sense to me.
    Which is why theres a hide gear option for people who like that but there's no way it'll stay none optional by the time 8.3 goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post

Ffs guys you really think no gloves, feet, legs for mechagnomes will slide? Use your common sense.

Give them time. Im sure they'll come up with something thatll work similar to all the gear looks lots of races have, broken forsaken gear for example.

Mechagnomes are sick, let blizzard have time to polish them out before you cry about "how stupid they are".

I swear most of the people hating on them are just salty their idiotic helf fantasies got crapped on again.
    Well, I mean... yeah, I do. They were talking about this for long before they were confirmed playable and added to the PTR, and their NPC counterparts have the exact same problems. If it wasn't going to apply to them, it wasn't intended to apply to the race. But Blizzard could still change it.

That said, I'm sure a lot of people are hating them for the wrong reasons, but this is a real issue with mechagnomes and if we ignore it, it's going to happen for sure. It probably will anyways, to be fair.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    That's fair, but I mean we do have options to hide armor already. I would have liked personally if there was an option for arms and legs that made the upper arm and legs (where leggings/chest armor would cover) be a choice by the player to show or hide in that way, and for the other parts to simple be available for players to put armor over or not.

A good example of this is the iconic Star Wars franchise. Just because the robo bits are partially hidden doesn't mean that they are entirely gone. Personally I'd like the option to cover the upper arms and legs but show the hands and feet. Maybe other players would like the vice-versa.

It feels kind of weird as it is now, but it's tolerable enough. It's not going to stop me from playing the race.

- - - Updated - - -

It's stupid there is no option to make them full mecha like Mechagon is. I think it would have been better as a Night Warrior/Golden Eyes Blood Elf option. Where you can take your existing gnome to Mechagon and choose to gain mecha enhancements.
    That's actually a pretty cool idea. I would have liked to have seen that. Mechagnome racials feel a bit lacking and this would have been a great way to change them. Maybe the active racial could have had several options based off of what you want to enhance, but given a cooldown to prevent you from changing it constantly. Similar, but less punishing than Zandalari, since while Zandalari do not change loa on a whim, mechagnomes are designed for adaptability. They feel too static to be a mechagnome right now.

But I am kind of digressing at this point. I don't feel like the aesthetic customization should have been directly tied to the racial at any rate.

I'm actually tired of allied races. Literally no one asked for mechagnomes or even void elves. Thank god I'm Horde, Alliance keeps getting shafted on theirs lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie081 View Post
    I'm actually tired of allied races. Literally no one asked for mechagnomes or even void elves. Thank god I'm Horde, Alliance keeps getting shafted on theirs lmao.
    You cant say that for sure. There's plenty of people who wanted these gnomes since blizzcon 2018.

Also velfs are the answer to helf requests, so yeah they kinda did but not really cuz adding simple helves when we got belves is stupid and lazy and only pandering to fedora flippers who want to play a belf without being forced to play in huts.

Blizzard adds we they want. If it lines up with what people want then great. If not then oh well.

I think either they should be able to cover up their arms and legs OR they should be able to go full mechanized.

Also their heritage armor needs different colors to match their arm/leg options. As it is right now it looks awful on the anything but the gold option.

I don't think I'll be able to play one if you can't transmog on them, everyone's mechagnome is gonna wind up looking more or less the same because of this

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the shittiest argument anyone can make with regards to PTR content. When it's on the PTR that's when you're supposed to give feedback. Or are you only allowed to complain when it's already on live servers?

Which is why theres a hide gear option for people who like that but there's no way it'll stay none optional by the time 8.3 goes live.
    this is WoW we're talking about customization is very low budget. sure it'd be cool to pick a limb or 2 that would show just like a normal gnome limb but that's not likely to happen. and the robo bits are the only thing that sets them apart from regular gnomes so you kinda need them visible.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Agreed. I think mechagnomes are the weakest race they could have done for an Allied race, but when looking at how they phoned in this entire expansion I'm not surprised.

Would have rather seen the fish people with the option you said above as an option. They as a race really don't have enough to stand up on their own.

5+ Year Old Account
    What bugs me the most is the copy paste faces. I think one is different. I know most ppl will have the mech faces, but since there are options to see the face new faces would have been nice. Considering they are already in the game though as NPCs.... sigh. That is the only thing that “took the wind out of me.”

Not appealing to me at all unless they get transformer-druids.

I do like the legs mount though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Mechagnome is not a "race", it's a customization for Gnomes.
    Lightforged are not a "race", they are a customization for Draenei.

Both "races" show just how little thought Blizzard was willing to put into Alliance Allied Races in General. I'm not saying all of the Horde ones are fine, but these two just show how much Blizzard cares about one of the two factions and its players.

OT:
    I agree with the OP. Since hiding armor is an option, armor should show on player models. Yes, this is true for Undead as well.