Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Does anybody else not see allied races as one of the biggest cash-grabs ever?

Thread title, discuss. Isn't releasing allied races over time just a huge cash grab for character race changes? After seeing mechagnomes, they're barely different than gnomes at all but plenty of people are going to spend their money changing their existing character to it, and I just see it as a huge cash grab - but hey what can you expect from current Blizzard?

If they are barely different, then why would you want to race change?

You can apply that argument to all new races in the game. So basically you wish for this game to be forever stagnant, no new races added. Adding them over time has nothing to do with anything and no one forces you to racechange for one, in fact you get punished by not earning the heritage armor if you take any shortcuts.

No thanks.

No, because you can just make a character from the ground up.

Feels like a bait thread because you currently have issues with Blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    It just sounded ominous as if he would save that info for future use to something, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Next class is Necromancer. Tinker will never happen.

You read first here.
    Oh yeah?

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I don't see it as a cash grab. Sure, I like some of the allied races. But my main stays my main. I changed my main once, when my old guild in vanilla broke away. Since TBC I am playing the same main. I do have a character of every class and at least every race once, but my main stays.

I don't get it why people see the need to pay for race changes.

Blizzard created a video game for people to play and they charge money for that! What an outrage a company trying to make money off of people!

Imagine if other companies did this? its like McDonald's charging for a cheeseburger! A slap in the face!

why do people think everything is a cashgrab these days?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    Blizzard created a video game for people to play and they charge money for that! What an outrage a company trying to make money off of people!

Imagine if other companies did this? its like McDonald's charging for a cheeseburger! A slap in the face!
    imagine restaurants charging extra toppings on your food, fucking scammers

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i always think its funny when people think they have super original thoughts especially when theyve been discussed 1000 times already. GJ though you were the first one to think of this bullshit

Yeah, so? I'd rather spend money on a race change every six months than a $30 mount every 3 months. That's just my personal preference, though.

And I'm not spending a dime on race changing to a Mechagnome, I will race change to a Vulpera, though!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    Thread title, discuss. Isn't releasing allied races over time just a huge cash grab for character race changes? After seeing mechagnomes, they're barely different than gnomes at all but plenty of people are going to spend their money changing their existing character to it, and I just see it as a huge cash grab - but hey what can you expect from current Blizzard?
    Then the question would be if the race change as it exist right is now is a cashgrab.

Because, I don't know about what your opinion is, but the services for the account are too expensive for what they are.

I mean... 20€ for moving -one- character to another realm? Then are dead realms cashgrabs or the service to move the characters to other realms are?

I would say the latter is.

Even though it is a bait thread. Where is the gun to your head or anyone else for that matter to spend money on race changing? Here are two races besides what you think of them are in the game on a content patch with heritage armor, mount and not behind the next expansion pre-order deal. So your point is invalided.

Welcome to the end of Legion where everyone without a blue fanboi glasses already said the same. Half the allied races might as well have been just customization options.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    I have only ever paid for a race change once. That was back in Cataclysm when I changed my Nelf main into a Worgen. Since then, if I wanted to play a new race, I've always created and leveled one from scratch.
    Paid race changes are for the weak. Besides, you can't get their heritage armor unless you level one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally no. I see them as a reason to roll alts.

I mean, every single feature is an attempted cash grab. Blizz is a business, not your friend.

I personally think that AR are a far more interesting cash grab than the RNG lottery, or azerite farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yeah, so? I'd rather spend money on a race change every six months than a $30 mount every 3 months. That's just my personal preference, though.

And I'm not spending a dime on race changing to a Mechagnome, I will race change to a Vulpera, though!
    Also, this. (though we really don't HAVE to race change, either)
    I find character models to be far more exciting cosmetics than mounts or pets.

There is a difference between Allied races and "normal" new Races: Standard races have their only unique content right in their starting zone. So race changing to them - while an option - would rip you off that unique content. Now, you may not care about that content, but it is there.

Allied races skip this unique part. And more so, they are added late in an expansion cycle when Blizzard designed systems like essences to be not very catch-up friendly on Alts at all.

Allied Races - to me - just seem to be DESIGNED to promote race changes. They do not appear to me like new content where Blizzard sat down and set out with: (A) "Let's add a customization feature which players have asked for for many years!" but instead (B) "Let's pretend we add something players wanted for years...but how can we design it in a way that creates a maximum of additional shop income?"

And that is my problem with them. If Blizzard had set out with (A), you would be able to upgrade your existing Draenei to Lightforged via a quest.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2019-10-11 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    There is a difference between Allied races and "normal" new Races: Standard races have their only unique content right in their starting zone. So race changing to them - while an option - would rip you off that unique content. Now, you may not care about that content, but it is there.

Allied races skip this unique part. And more so, they are added late in an expansion cycle when Blizzard designed systems like essences to be not very catch-up friendly on Alts at all.

Allied Races - to me - just seem to be DESIGNED to promote race changes. They do not appear to me like new content where Blizzard sat down and set out with: (A) "Let's add a customization feature which players have asked for for many years!" but instead (B) "Let's pretend we add something players wanted for years...but how can we design it in a way that creates a maximum of additional shop income?"

And that is my problem with them. If Blizzard had set out with (A), you would be able to upgrade your existing Draenei to Lightforged via a quest.
    Except Allied Races "only unique content" once again requires that you play them from the start, while the issues you mention would be the same if a regular new race was added in a patch.

And your suggestion wouldn't work with any of the Allied Races except Lightforged anyway.

pvp season are a bigger cash grab

15+ Year Old Account
    Never thought about it. If it was a cash grab then 120 rewards would be available after paidboosting.

It's just a race and well, story driving stuff, for me -- its cool
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon