Poll: What are some good ways to get rid of trash?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account

Is burning trash a good way to get rid of it?

I say the answer is no, reduce, reuse, recycle is the best way to go, however are there some places that isn't an option and like plastic islands the ocean how do we get ride of it?

What are some good ways to get rid of trash?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Is burning trash a good way to get rid of it? Yes
    Is burning trash in campfire good way to get rid of it? No
    Is burning plastic a good way to get rid of it? No

Its complicated question since not all trash are equal. Plastic can be recycled and reused but then there are some trash that cant be recycled. For example there are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste-to-energy_plant where they burn the thrash and generate energy from it. But this wouldn't be a good option for plastic since its more useful to recycle it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

I say the answer is no, reduce, reuse, recycle is the best way to go, however are there some places that isn't an option and like plastic islands the ocean how do we get ride of it?

I agree with this. If the trash is paper or wood base, then no serous issues with burning it. I mean I have used our wood burner on occasion to supplement our heat when it is extremely cold or we lose power and we are stuck with no gas for the generator.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Burning it to just burn it is a waste of energy and a big pollutant. A better idea would be to compact it into logs so that people can burn them in fire places, minus the plastic of course. The plastic itself should be recycled, though I'm sure the reason they don't is because it isn't cost effective. Capitalism wins again.

Burning it and scrubbing the fumes is fine.
    Burning it, scrubbing the fumes, and using the heat to generate energy is even better.

Burning it open flame is a horrible total waste all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The plastic itself should be recycled, though I'm sure the reason they don't is because it isn't cost effective. Capitalism wins again.
    Eventually, it will be cost effective. It already is in some cases, and is being recycled more and more at an increasingly fast pace.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are out there in camping then burning it is the only choice, but in urban area it's better yo recycle it to the max

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    If you are out there in camping then burning it is the only choice, but in urban area it's better yo recycle it to the max
    If you out camping, you either take the trash back with you or pack in a way that you don't have trash in the first place. Burining it because you are too lazy is never a choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Overall, no.

You DON'T do like on the picture. Of course, you can safely burn paper and cardboard.

True answer is, get some pigs / cows to handle some food waste, reuse what plastic / glass you can. Burn or donate the paper / cardboard to people who uses wood for heating their homes.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Why is this a question? I know you believe in the concept of the marketplace of ideas, but it is known that doing it in the open is a health hazard.

Not if there is any plastic at all.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Recycling is the only way to go... launching into space is just beyond stupid as you're throwing away resources from a finite planet for good, and we're not at a stage of gathering materials from outside earth.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-11-01 at 09:57 AM.

Waste belongs recycled, everything that can't be recycled should be used for energy: organic waste for a biogas plant as far as possible, all other trash into a waste-to-energy plant.

Around here they incinerate non-recyclable rubbish to produce electricity, the exhaust is filtered to prevent fine particulate matter being put into the atmosphere.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I have no problem with people burning stuff like cardboard/paper/wood, as long as they're not being stupid about it (so don't burn a huge pile of boxes in the woods on a windy day when it hasn't rained in months, for example). It's perfectly legal here as long as you get a permit, which isn't a long/complicated process.

I'm not 100% sure on the details of the laws involved, but I think it's illegal here to burn anything other than that. So you could get fined or otherwise penalized in some way if you're caught throwing stuff like plastic bottles on a fire. Or if you're caught burning stuff that's normally legal to burn like cardboard but didn't get a permit first.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-11-01 at 05:30 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the type of trash and how you burn it.
    I think there are power plants in Germany that use garbage as fuel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    It objectively is not. For everyone's sake.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Considering most trash contains plastic in it, than no.

Even burning wood to keep homes warm is a shit idea. Whole neighbourhood reeks of smoke because of poor peasants who cannot install normal solution like heat pump.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english