Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Vulpera break the trend

So far all of the Allied Races have been "subspecies" of the current races in WoW. Most of these have been minor reskins of existing races, which is fine since Allied Races were advertised more as unlockable cosmetics to add some NG+ value.

However, Vulpera seem to change that. They are an entirely new race added to the game, and the only thing they have in common with their counterpart race is that they are a small race. But Vulpera are in no way a subspecies or different tribe of goblin.

As the only completely new, unique race of BfA, this puts an imbalance between the Horde and Alliance. So, I'm thinking this implies that the last two AR reveals will include a completely new race for the Alliance side. This leads me to believe that Lightforged UD will be for the Horde (not Alliance as many were predicting), and the Worgen's counterpart race will be something completely new. Sethrak might be on the table but make little sense to me as Alliance has very limited interaction with them. Ankoan/Jinyu would probably make the most sense... but then again Gilgoblins didn't make the Horde cut.

At any rate, it seems the last AR for Alliance is still the biggest mystery of BfA.
    Last edited by Nomads; 2019-10-14 at 02:09 AM.

Are you 100% sure they won't be adding more allied races in the future?

They’ll certainly add more races.

I just don’t want it to come in small amounts. Give us 50+ allies races. The world would be so interesting

nightborne are also a completely new breed of elf, and saying they aren't different is like saying a blood elf is just a night elf.

so we've gotten at least two new races through allied races.

Allied Races don't really have anything to do with cool factor or lore implications.
    They're mass produced because they don't require as much art team work or effort.
    Vulpera use the goblin rigs and animations for the most part.
    They already had their designs in game for their NPCs.
    Nothing much else to it.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    nightborne are also a completely new breed of elf, and saying they aren't different is like saying a blood elf is just a night elf.

That's not what he means. Nightborne are a offshoot of Night Elves. That is a fact. Vulpera has no racial ties to any playable race.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

No, Nightborne are Night Elves... just a different tribe with a slightly new skin.

Void Elves are Blood Elves, with a new skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    That's not what he means. Nightborne are a offshoot of Night Elves. That is a fact. Vulpera has no racial ties to any playable race.
    that's not what he means, as you can see below here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    No, Nightborne are Night Elves... just a different tribe with a slightly new skin.

Void Elves are Blood Elves, with a new skin.
    they're NOT night elves. they're shaldorei, a new breed of elf, separate from night elf, just like blood elf is separate from night elf.

What gives you the idea they'll be adding anymore ARs this expansion?

that's not what he means, as you can see below here.

they're NOT night elves. they're shaldorei, a new breed of elf, separate from night elf, just like blood elf is separate from night elf.
    He literally said what I said. What are you on about? The elves aren't even what the thread is about. Nightborne are connected to other elves. Simple right? Vulpera have no connections. Do you understand?

Allied races were advertised as playable races that need to be unlocked. They've never been defined as needing a counterpart race, and they don't need to be balanced between Alliance and Horde based on whether they have a counterpart race.

They're a way for Blizzard to reuse assets and get additional playtime out of them.

The next Alliance race will be a new species. Horde will get some kind of fancy Undead, be it Light or just "Nicer Corpse" like Derek.

And void elves are called Ren'dorei ... but they're still reskinned blood elves. Just like blood elves are called Sin'dorei but high elves are Quel'dorei. The different name doesn't mean anything other than different affiliations.

Plus, you're missing the point of the thread entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    What gives you the idea they'll be adding anymore ARs this expansion?
    The missing space on the AR screen is one clue.

In my opinion I could see Blizzard adding a Saberon rep faction for Alliance next expansion. The Saberon managed to flee Draenor with the Mag'har at the end of their questline so I imagine Blizzard would bring them back. They have the Worgen rig and would be a race similar to the Vulpera where they have no racial connections.

Plus there's nothing that say they can't add more Allied Races next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    In my opinion I could see Blizzard adding a Saberon rep faction for Alliance next expansion. The Saberon managed to flee Draenor with the Mag'har at the end of their questline so I imagine Blizzard would bring them back. They have the Worgen rig and would be a race similar to the Vulpera where they have no racial connections.

Plus there's nothing that say they can't add more Allied Races next expansion.
    Personally, I'm hoping that with the emphasis on Dragons coming up, it's some form of Dragon races... but I'd be happy with any scaled race, Sethrak, Ankoan, Sarouk, Dragonkin, etc.

I’ve always considered the subspecies thing as sharing the same model. It was like this for NB and VE just the factions switched.

I think Vulpera use the Goblin skeleton.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's why they are called Allied Races instead of Subraces or Subspecies. It gives them the freedom to do whatever they want.

Vulpera are still derived from the goblin model and rig. Actually right now the only Allied Race with completely unique models and rigs are the Kul Tirans, despite just being humans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    For Worgen? As Pebrocks said - Saberon? But what's the lore reasons?
    How about Rajani mogu? Maybe flesh-cursed. Mogu are based on foo dogs after all...

And the issue with "lightforged" undead is there is no corresponding Reputation that makes sense. I mean, Honorbound, maybe? But that's kind of a stretch.

Honestly based only on existing Reputations, I could see Horde and Alliance getting Rajani mogu and Ankoan jinyu as the "pandaren allied races," because those are at least established and are thematically linked. Not sure people would be thrilled since they're not unique rigs, but I think it's more likely than a lot of ideas being floated.

I guess the other possibility is that whatever the Forsaken and worgen get will have a different unlock method...

How about "lightforged" undead for Horde with models based on humans, and K'thir for Alliance, with models based on Forsaken?

Could maybe tie them to the narrative choices in this expansion? Horde loyalty and Gift of N'zoth. Though that would prohibit some players from unlocking them.

Not that anyone seems to be chomping at the bit for playable K'thir...
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2019-10-14 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    They're not though.

Nightborne are LITERALLY Night Elves.
    They're all just trolls who got a little to close to the glow-y magic pool.

I for one would love Mogu as an allied race. Make 'em faction-agnostic, like the Pandaren.