Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    cuz cartoon characters are real and tv-series/movie characters are fake

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Like I know it's a niche already, but from someone who's skeptical, what do things like cartoons (of all kinds) have that would make people think "I want to watch this over cinema? Like a unique appeal or trait that can't be replicated by actors or humans in general. And no I don't think just the fact it's drawn counts, it has to really be something unique to itself.
    Easier to make, not having to pay insane millions to celebrities

Because way less people get raped in animation studios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

You have declared your love for Anime tons of times.

As for the question: Different tastes and different expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    SAO on a small budget?
    You mean a budget to match the quality of the series' writing? An interesting idea...

Because It's the story I care about and less the visuals.

Why read a book if you can see it as a life action movie?

If the story is good I don't care if it's drawn, video animated or with real people.

To be honest, I would like more anime to be serious and a bit more adult, as I think it would be capable of some pretty epic things that way.
    I wouldnt say anime is for kids either, I think it appeals primarily to the 13-21 age range. But there is too much stupid fan service, weird shit (some weird shit I like, some I do not), and poor plotlines. Strip some of that away and it may make inroads more in the west, but I dont think the Japanese fans would be happy if you removed their huge boobies.

I like both, but I do still like anime because I enjoy it in a way I do not enjoy cinema. It is funny, maybe my logic is twisted, but while cinema is actors who are real people, I am painfullly aware that they are just actors in a fake world (and as someone touched upon, I also get sick of seeing all the same actors). But when watching anime, they are not actors they are the characters in their world (yes it is all artwork drawn by someone, but the Light Yagami I see when watching Death Note, IS Light Yagami, not an actor playing him) but in some twisted way I can find it more real.

Plus, as others say, some stories anime does that u just dont find elsewhere, and they happen to align with my tastes (e.g. Death Note, AoT, March Comes in Like a Lion). And the style of some anime just floats my boat I guess
    Last edited by Geo9999; 2019-10-17 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I'm not a complete weeb, but there's just some stories no other media does. Show me one show outside of anime like Psycho-Pass. No, seriously, if love more of this style, any media will do.
    That's like the worst example because psycho-pass was inspired by minority report

is there such a thing as a genuinely mature cartoon though? By genuine I don't mean obscenities and gross out violence just to push up the age rating. I mean like thematically meaningful and believable adult's story.
    Erased on Netflix. It has some sci-fi, but the story is mature and deep.

I want to watch things that are good. Everything can be enhanced if they take advantage of their medium. Cartoons for example favor creative exaggeration which can lead to some real spectacles to watch and highly expressive characters.

Off the top of my head in recent memory, the Steven Universe movie really showcased what was so fun about rubberhose animation.

Combine great animation with a great story and you've got an instant favorite in my book, but it doesn't mean I only watch animation. I feel the same way about a good comic book, utilizing their own medium in their own way, like a dramatic or humorous reveal on a page turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

is there such a thing as a genuinely mature cartoon though? By genuine I don't mean obscenities and gross out violence just to push up the age rating. I mean like thematically meaningful and believable adult's story.
    What qualifies as an "adult's story"? Many of my favorites have meaningful and believable stories that apply to growing up and learning. Lessons that can target the adolescent, but still ring true to some adults who still haven't fully processed the same things.

I just finished Infinity Train for example, which had really strong themes of identity, controlling your life and the lives of others, and moving on past experiences that you can't change. I related to it in both thinking back to experiences I've moved on from and are still working on well into my 20's.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    So minority report took the mentality disturbed and forced them perm jail or be the triggermen for a corrupt government ran by literal brains harvested from the smartest of the human race with guns that very from intensity based on how crazy you are? Neat
    It's what the mangaka said.

Predicing crime in a sad future and the whole plot spins around the errors this system made of human brain does. Minority Repport uses three human brains swimming in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    And minority report was based on a short story from the 50s :P
    Everyone just stealing these days ):

7+ Year Old Account
    Been a while since I watched any new shows but here are some of my favorites in what I could call more mature shows:

Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor. It's a story about a guy with gambling issues and how he manages to get himself caught in the most insane gambling scheemes you can imagine. It's for adults about adult issues and it is thrilling as heck.

Full Metal Alchemist, regular and the Brotherhood edition, does a great job at being very adult. While the main characters are young, the plot takes itself serious and doesn't shy away from showing the brutality of life, death and war. It has more believable human characters in any media I have watched/read. In that show/manga you will meet adults that has lost their children, their spouses or their entire families and their pain feels real because even while the story has unnatural elements it is still grounded in reality. It also uses blood and gore tastefully.

Could also mention Akira(watch the movie for the amazing animation and read the manga for the story as the movie only scratches the surface) and Grave of the Fireflies which I would not show to kids as A) They might not fully understand everything that happens in it even if it is a Ghibli movie and B) it is a tearjerker of massive proportions about two siblings trying to survive the aftermaths of WWII.
    Death Note is also great if you like thrilling crime solving with a supernatural twist(for the love of god do NOT watch the Netflix live action adaption! The anime is good though.)
    Ajin: Demi-human was an interesting one as well, even if the main character can be a self-centered jerk. It's the characters around him that are interesting.

I get that cartoons aren't for everyone. Believe it or not my 7 year old niece doesn't like to watch them because she thinks they are too childish. Part of it is just a personality thing.

But I remember when my dad would sit down with us kids and watch Dragonball Z with us. He was a grown man watching a childish cartoon. But that's not the point, he was bonding with us kids, and felt like it was time well spent.

I could also bring up literally every Disney live-action remake, which kind of speak for themselves. Not dissing people who like the remakes, but animation makes quite a difference in presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    What qualifies as an "adult's story"? Many of my favorites have meaningful and believable stories that apply to growing up and learning. Lessons that can target the adolescent, but still ring true to some adults who still haven't fully processed the same things.

I just finished Infinity Train for example, which had really strong themes of identity, controlling your life and the lives of others, and moving on past experiences that you can't change. I related to it in both thinking back to experiences I've moved on from and are still working on well into my 20's.
    Well for the most basic and novice example: Breaking Bad is an adult's story.

3+ Year Old Account
    Like I know it's a niche already, but from someone who's skeptical, what do things like cartoons (of all kinds) have that would make people think "I want to watch this over cinema? Like a unique appeal or trait that can't be replicated by actors or humans in general. And no I don't think just the fact it's drawn counts, it has to really be something unique to itself.

Now you kow why.

15+ Year Old Account
    For me it is emotions. You get more feels from cartoons/anime than watching real people. Of course, it depends on the story as well, but a sad anime is more feels than a sad real show.

Pfft shows on the television or big screen? I spit on them. Go watch a real show in the auditorium. That’s where the real art is.

Obv sarcasm is obv. Just a joke guys. Don’t be so serious. GUYS!

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    [IMG]http://photos.costume-works.com/full/spongebo_daddy_and_bel.jpg[IMG]

Now you kow why.
    I can't tell if the point is "so parents can enjoy cartoons with their children and have something special in common" or "so grown adults can look like nightmare fuel dressed as kid's characters" both are technically valid.

Having something shared to talk about with my dad as far as MLP:FIM has been swell. Somehow I made him a bigger nerd than I am over it. I feel like a lot of the animation renaissance as of late has been them realizing that appealing to both generations means twice the fans and all the more influence over those sweet, sweet parent's wallets. :P I only ever bought one toy, my dad owns over 20.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-10-17 at 07:56 PM.