Thread: DH vs Demon

DH vs Demon

What is the difference between a Demon and DH?Don't they both use fell magic i think?So the power source should be the same.If i look at Ilidan's model he has horns,hooves,wings,nails,fell tatoos so nothing different than a demon.When i look at the legion the only difference i see there is the huge amount of races in it.

So what differentiates a DH from a demon exactly?Also is there a difference for example between an elf DH and a Man'ari?Both have demonic powers.
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....

There is no difference in power source, Their whole thing is using fire to fight fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUfOIvlC6Eo

10+ Year Old Account
    In a lot of ways, demon hunters are just rebellious demons who have decided to use their powers against the Burning Legion. Like Jalham said, it's fighting fire with fire. The name itself is kind of a play on words. Demon hunter. Demon hunter. They hunt demons, but they're also hunters who are, well, demons.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    In a lot of ways, demon hunters are just rebellious demons who have decided to use their powers against the Burning Legion.
    That's quite a mischaracterization, and puts the cart before the horse.

They're not rebellious demons.

They're Elves who's peoples were slaughtered by demons, who hate them so much that they are willing to fight them by any means necessary. It just so happens to be that killing demons and consuming their souls grants you their powers, which are very effective for killing more demons to consume and gain the powers of, ad infinitum.

By definition, you cannot rebel against something from which you were never a part of. Demon Hunters gained those powers and became demons in order to wipe out the Burning Legion as an act of revenge, not rebellion. That is the central them of their class. When they say they've sacrificed everything, they mean that they've sacrificed themselves, becoming what they hate the most in order to most effectively destroy it.
    Last edited by Draeth; 2019-10-17 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post

They're Elves who's peoples were slaughtered by demons, who hate them so much that they are willing to fight them by any means necessary. It just so happens to be that killing demons and consuming their souls grants you their powers, which are very effective for killing more demons to consume and gain the powers of, ad infinitum.

By definition, you cannot rebel against something from which you were never a part of. Demon Hunters gained those powers and became demons in order to wipe out the Burning Legion as an act of revenge, not rebellion. That is the central them of their class. When they say they've sacrificed everything, they mean that they've sacrificed themselves, becoming what they hate the most in order to most effectively destroy it.
    That's pretty much on the nose right there. Even if they become half demon like it's speculated (but not confirmed) Illidan is, which explains how he didn't die and stay dead after Black Temple, they weren't demons to begin with, and became demon-like to as has been said, fight fire with fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post

By definition, you cannot rebel against something from which you were never a part of. Demon Hunters gained those powers and became demons in order to wipe out the Burning Legion as an act of revenge, not rebellion.
    Well yeah, I was obviously simplifying it a little. I know how demon hunters originate, as does everyone who played Legion or read the Illidan novel.

There are dozens of examples of demon hunters losing themselves to the fel and becoming more demons than hunters. They're not rebelling against the Burning Legion in a literal sense (I never said that), but rather rebelling against the temptations of the fel and the "demon within".

Just because they were elves once, that doesn't mean they can't be considered demons. The Burning Legion consists of a lot of humanoid races that were turned into demons, the eredar being perhaps the best example.

The difference is obvious. Demons will stop at nothing to destroy azeroth while dh's will sacrifice everything to save it.
    Its like you weren't even paying attention.

The fel magics makes you almost turn into a demon yourself. Their tattoos helps them cast the fel magic without being consumed by it, to absorb and consume the magic without turning into a demon. A demon hunter had to use fel magic to fight against the legion itself. To eat their souls. You can say demons are also cannibals. The way demon hunters turns into demon hunters ain't pretty either, they need to summon a demon on a ritual and fight it, the person needs to eat the demon's heart and drink of it's blood. If they failed into surviving after this ritual, they would die and the demon will grow strong enough to control this person body. Their stomach gets upset, also their eyes start burning, the bright colors are not a good feeling anymore and they gauge their eyes, to adjust their vision and spectral sight. They got demonic mutations, but they are not demons, they could be if they got killed and didn't had tattoos and couldn't pass their process of transformation, but then they would lose their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    The fel magics makes you almost turn into a demon yourself. Their tattoos helps them cast the fel magic without being consumed by it, to absorb and consume the magic without turning into a demon. A demon hunter had to use fel magic to fight against the legion itself. To eat their souls. You can say demons are also cannibals. The way demon hunters turns into demon hunters ain't pretty either, they need to summon a demon on a ritual and fight it, the person needs to eat the demon's heart and drink of it's blood. If they failed into surviving after this ritual, they would die and the demon will grow strong enough to control this person body. Their stomach gets upset, also their eyes start burning, the bright colors are not a good feeling anymore and they gauge their eyes, to adjust their vision and spectral sight. They got demonic mutations, but they are not demons, they could be if they got killed and didn't had tattoos and couldn't pass their process of transformation, but then they would lose their identity.
    So basically the DH is not a demon by default.They have demonic mutation without turning into a real demon.Only the source behind a DH's and a demon's power is one and the same(fell magic).Also there is a difference in their ideals?I didn't know DH by cannibalism acquire their power.This is awesome.

I don't understand something.They have Horns,Wings,Hooves,Transformed body parts like bigger and sharper nails,Eyes and tattoos filled to the brink with fell magic.So why is this consider only a mutation and not full demonization?
    Last edited by dragnipur; 2019-10-18 at 07:53 AM.
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....

Quote Originally Posted by dragnipur View Post
    So basically the DH is not a demon by default.They have demonic mutation without turning into a real demon.Only the source behind a DH's and a demon's power is one and the same(fell magic).Also there is a difference in their ideals?I didn't know DH by cannibalism acquire their power.This is awesome.

I don't understand something.They have Horns,Wings,Hooves,Transformed body parts like bigger and sharper nails,Eyes and tattoos filled to the brink with fell magic.So why is this consider only a mutation and not full demonization?
    After a point it reaches the status of being a pedantic difference. The only thing that separates a demon and a demon hunter is that demon hunters temper their thirst for power with their hate for the Legion to keep from turning heel and joining it, and even then sometimes that's not enough.

The tattoos serve as a power limiter for their full demonic essence, and as a way to keep the corruption at bay because letting them be in their demon forms full-time would tempt even the most willfull Demon Hunter (Save Illidan himself). Note that the two villains of the DH campaign, who are traitors, are both in their metamorphosed forms full-time.

It's also noteworthy the demon they eat/bind to themselves isn't dead. It takes certain circumstances to permakill a demon, just binding them into one's body doesn't do that, so they're not just struggling to resist the temptations of the Fel, they're fighting from within to make sure the demon doesn't get control over them and hijack their body or fuse entirely with the demon as the dominant personality, it's described as being all in the willpower, and again, the tattoos (scribes help a demon hunter make a new tattoo for himself as his old one is fading, and with it his inner demon is starting to seep through the cracks).

It's important to note that the strongest demon hunters have so little difference from demons at that point their souls become immortal and able to return to their corpses or reform entirely new bodies, something only demons can do (from a lore perspective, disregarding the gameplay mechanics of corpse runs and spirit healers).
    Last edited by Veluren; 2019-10-18 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragnipur View Post

Ye cause they have those mutations by doing the ritual i said before, like drinking their (demons) heart's blood. It's really interesting to be quite honest, i have interest in dhs for such a long time <3 it's my main since they came out in legion. So yes you can say it's a mutated night elf/blood elf with demonic origins. And the reason why only elves are demon hunters is because in the lore, no one accepted demon hunters and they went to Outland to be trained by illidan (night elves) and kael'thas provided his blood elves to train with illidan.
    Last edited by Shakana; 2019-10-18 at 09:20 PM.