Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Doesen't it kinda seem like Blizzard is trying to finish off WoW

I mean story wise, just look at the recent

WoD was basically a plot device to bring Gul'dan back. Back from what exactly? You see MUCH of WoD was scrapped and rushed to Legion, and what happened then? They began resolving plotlines at a super fast pace.

In Legion, we destroy the burning legion, the number one threat, we wondered what happened to Illidan, and he got locked away at the phanteons seat, resolving his story. Alleria and Turalyon was also found, resolving their story aswell. There is also the stormheim attack which is the catalyst for the war. So the burning legion is gone. What does this mean?

No argus expansion. We could have had one but now it's HIGHLY unlikely.

After the attack, Sylvanas describes in a good war that she doesen't believe that Anduin can keep the piece, so she uses Teldrassil as a bargaining chip. So In battle for Azeroth we do 3 things. We resolve the faction conflict, we defeat Azshara, and we are likely to defeat N'zoth. What does that mean?

No more expansions like MoP/Bfa. The leadership of the horde has been replaced with one dimensional good characters.
    Azshara is already defeated so this means no Naz'jatar/South Seas expansion
    With N'zoth gone, this also means no Ny'alotha expansion.

So they basically, crammed 5 expansions into two story wise. So what do we have left? The only two explainations is... They are setting up to making a dickton of new lore, or they are prepared to move on.

I don't really think Yrel is worthy of her own expansion, and I think returning to Draenor is out of the equation

Some might say that Sargeras is stored off for later, but lets be honest, it aint gonna be an expansion, if anything he's going to ship up in the nick of time with illidan on his shoulders to kick the void lords asses.

Then we have the Lich king and/or the shadowlands

And then ???

Adventure expansions have always been about fighting for the resources, so unless blizzard is planning on doing another PvP expansion I dunno what else they could do
    An'u belore delen'na

K'aresh, Dragon Isles, Shadowlands. There's still a bunch of places to go to, and they can make up new stuff along the way.

That's writer's job. They'll come up with something. In meanwhile, we got Void Lords to worry about. They're the main reason Sargeras created Legion and went on crusade. They made Old Gods on Azeroth.

Maybe we'll get to see return of the dragonflight.

Or something wild!

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoup View Post
    K'aresh, Dragon Isles, Shadowlands. There's still a bunch of places to go to, and they can make up new stuff along the way.
    If Argus wasn't worthy of an expansion I doubt the ethereal homeworld which consists of a couple of flying rocks in the middle of absolutely fucking nowhere is going to, and dragon isles is just an Isle filled with old god stuff.
    An'u belore delen'na

10+ Year Old Account
    You do need to remember, that Blizzard writes the lore.

They can add anything and everything they want.

I'll just give you two quick things that could be the next bad guys.

Tyrannde, Alexstraza (only aspect that hasn't gone crazy yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    If Argus wasn't worthy of an expansion I doubt the ethereal homeworld which consists of a couple of flying rocks in the middle of absolutely fucking nowhere is going to, and dragon isles is just an Isle filled with old god stuff.
    And Broken Isle was just filled with some Legion stuff, and voila, 5 new zones. They can do the same with the Dragons Isles too, if they like. Lots of content and story to go through, Void Lords among others. The Void and The Light can easily make 2-4 more expansions.

5+ Year Old Account
    The only time I genuinely believed WoW might've ended was Legion.

I still firmly believe Legion shoulda been the last expansion or at least a precursor to a soft reboot bc going from Legion to BFA was so stupid.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Quote Originally Posted by DTJames View Post
    That's writer's job. They'll come up with something. In meanwhile, we got Void Lords to worry about. They're the main reason Sargeras created Legion and went on crusade. They made Old Gods on Azeroth.

Maybe we'll get to see return of the dragonflight.

Or something wild!
    You honestly have faith in these writers? Please.

If Argus wasn't worthy of an expansion I doubt the ethereal homeworld which consists of a couple of flying rocks in the middle of absolutely fucking nowhere is going to,
    Outland says 'hi'. Literally "a couple of flying rocks in the middle of absolutely fucking nowhere."

and dragon isles is just an Isle filled with old god stuff.
    The Broken Isles also say hi. They were also just "an isle filled with demon stuff".

10+ Year Old Account
    You still have following unused:
    Dragon Isles
    K'aresh (As well as other worlds that we either were hinted at in Legion, or by other species)
    Undermine + its reach
    The Kingdom of Ahn'kahet (The Nerubian most likely has more of them)
    Shadowlands
    Emerald Dream (We've only seen a fraction)
    Tel'Abim

You can also delve into:
    Reclaim of old kingdoms
    Rekindle of old clans
    Ogre clans returning to power (We saw a hint of their might in WoD, what is to stop more adventures Ogres to journey through and make contact?)
    Void Lords
    The realm of Death (where it seems where heading)
    Gnomeregan (reclaim)
    Update of the current world (i.e. make Gadgetzan as we see it through Hearthstone. Growth to Orgrimmar/Stormwind, rebuild of Silvermoon, Exodar progression etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently, K'aresh is still active functioning. You hear of the Ethereals moving goods to and from the planet. And apparently cities there constructed in defense against the void. You hear of some Ethereals who broke part and join the path of the Void and more. So, one can safely believe K'aresh is doing better than Argus.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

A place is as interesting and big as the writers need it to be. Just look at the Broken isles or Pandaria.

As long as they keep inventing new mystery boxes full of vague cosmic powers planning to kill us all (void lord, death guy, evil elune, space old gods), I think it's safe to say that they are at least planning to keep the lore going.

But I do agree that BfA had a very messy story that burned through way more interesting places than it deserved.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Every journey has to come to an end some day.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well Sargeras stuck a pin in it so we'll have to see if it's something they're planning for or if it'll end up outliving us all.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

We also have had a ton of stuff being teased through Island Expedition quests, a lot of them came through in 8.3 with the mantids, and other old god related ones, but a lot of the other quests are still somewhat unresolved, not to mention we apparently have a cult of Dark Irons trying to res Ragnaros Twilight Hammer style

Also while we did defeat Azhara, we seem to let her go in Ny'alotha, a whole new set of Il'gynoth whispers seems to imply we haven't seen the last of the Old Gods, so South Seas and Black Empire expansions are still plausible, give them a couple expansions out of the spotlight and next thing you know you've got Naga and Pirates up to your rectum

Dragon Isles, and K'aresh (and perhaps the back of Azeroth)could end up being their own expansions since we know so little we can take what we do know an count it on 1 hand, and seeing as Yrel has what basically amounts to her own Army of the Light, we might see her on a world that has been corrupted by Light

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, ummmm....No, not really.

Why do people think that the IP that makes more revenue than any other they have is something that Blizzard is trying to end.

It's just...I don't know. Dumb.

"Oh yes, they're milking it for everything they can" alternating with "They're trying to end it" or "This is the last expansion."

How does any of that make any sense at all?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

There is no practical means to determine this, but I always wonder what % of the playerbase actually cares about the story. Vocal minorities can be misleading. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who care, it's just not proof.

Personally, I couldn't care less. I figure they'll fit the story to whatever they want for gameplay reasons. Also, I get my fix of stories and character development from books and film and I really don't need it in a video game. I mean, if it was some amazing story that would be cool, I just don't expect it from Blizzard. I love the Games Workshop stuff, so I don't think I am biased against game based stories, but that is a whole different tangent.

Anyway, I'll keep playing as long as the game is fun and I have friends playing. Even if the story is dumb, just like it has been for a long time.

They've been doing their best to have storylines that resolve within the expansion.

As for long term, well, depending on how Ny'alotha goes we might still have a huge sword sticking out of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Every journey has to come to an end some day.
    Yeah but Blizzard isn't Bobby Fisher. They're not going to pull up and ride off into the sunset because they have nothing left to prove. WoW will end when it is no longer an economic engine. That's not a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Deventh View Post
    You honestly have faith in these writers? Please.
    I never said I have faith in them. They WILL come up with something to keep story going.

If EverQuest can have their 26th expansion and still counting. So can WoW.

I mean story wise, just look at the recent

WoD was basically a plot device to bring Gul'dan back. Back from what exactly? You see MUCH of WoD was scrapped and rushed to Legion, and what happened then? They began resolving plotlines at a super fast pace.

In Legion, we destroy the burning legion, the number one threat, we wondered what happened to Illidan, and he got locked away at the phanteons seat, resolving his story. Alleria and Turalyon was also found, resolving their story aswell. There is also the stormheim attack which is the catalyst for the war. So the burning legion is gone. What does this mean?

No argus expansion. We could have had one but now it's HIGHLY unlikely.

After the attack, Sylvanas describes in a good war that she doesen't believe that Anduin can keep the piece, so she uses Teldrassil as a bargaining chip. So In battle for Azeroth we do 3 things. We resolve the faction conflict, we defeat Azshara, and we are likely to defeat N'zoth. What does that mean?

No more expansions like MoP/Bfa. The leadership of the horde has been replaced with one dimensional good characters.
    Azshara is already defeated so this means no Naz'jatar/South Seas expansion
    With N'zoth gone, this also means no Ny'alotha expansion.

So they basically, crammed 5 expansions into two story wise. So what do we have left? The only two explainations is... They are setting up to making a dickton of new lore, or they are prepared to move on.

I don't really think Yrel is worthy of her own expansion, and I think returning to Draenor is out of the equation

Some might say that Sargeras is stored off for later, but lets be honest, it aint gonna be an expansion, if anything he's going to ship up in the nick of time with illidan on his shoulders to kick the void lords asses.

Then we have the Lich king and/or the shadowlands

And then ???

Adventure expansions have always been about fighting for the resources, so unless blizzard is planning on doing another PvP expansion I dunno what else they could do
    Yeah, that's a big issue. Back in time, in WotLK for example the threat was understandable. You knew the enemy. Nowadays they try really hard to make this story as unconventional as possible, yet they fail miserably. They literally start a couple of themes at once and have a serious problem with how to interweave them. And so we end up with crap like BfA.