Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    This makes no sense. Just because a problem can't being solved right now that doesn't mean it won't be solved later. In many cases it's just a matter of cutting costs in half a few times. For example in 2019 we can sequester some amount of CO2 given some amount of matter or energy for the transformations. As science and technology advance over time that ratio will increase making the solution cheaper and cheaper to implement.
    No. What doesn't make sense is claiming that science will come up riding to the rescue without any shred of evidence that such a thing will happen when progress is measured via the bottom line of corporations.
    So what you're really saying is nothing more than a simple "belief." And a rather silly one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No. What doesn't make sense is claiming that science will come up riding to the rescue without any shred of evidence that such a thing will happen when progress is measured via the bottom line of corporations.
    So what you're really saying is nothing more than a simple "belief." And a rather silly one.
    What i'm saying is that resource wealth, science and tech can solve the climate issue. I'm not saying what people will do i'm saying what people could do.

The only alternative here is to not even try to solve our problems... You sound like a nihilist? Somebody who thinks it meaningless to even try.

10+ Year Old Account
    An arms race to preserve military might will save the world. See any major technological advance, theres military behind it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

What i'm saying is that resource wealth, science and tech can solve the climate issue. I'm not saying what people will do i'm saying what people could do.
    The only alternative here is to not even try to solve our problems... You sound like a nihilist? Somebody who thinks it meaningless to even try.
    And you sound like someone that fantasizes that some corporation will try...
    And that's precisely what you have; a fantasy.

If you haven't learned from history by now, you won't later.
    Stop claiming "science" for fuck's sake. You have a belief similar to religion, and that's all. (And I dare say those honest enough to call it religion have something more going for them than those hiding behind mere words. Which is all you have.)

No it won't. Greed is the final arbiter.
    And if it isn't profitable, and "innovation" isn't in the process already solving the problem now, then why the hell would anyone believe it will happen later?
    Al gore said everyone would be dead like 10 years ago yet here we are. Back in the 20th century it was foretold that there would be an ice age. Was there one? No. The key word on this clickbait article is "could". I'm sure the military has a zombie apocalypse scenario prepared as well.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-10-26 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    An arms race to preserve military might will save the world. See any major technological advance, theres military behind it.
    Yeah...sad to say, but there's a bit of truth there.
    Not sure about the "saving the world" part though. Weapons kill. (DARPA is primarily funded through its inventions I think)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Al gore said everyone would be dead like 10 years ago yet here we are. Back in the 20th century it was foretold that there would be an ice age. Was there one? No.
    And why do you believe that your predictions will be any accurate?
    Or is this Climate Change denial?

Stop claiming "science" for fuck's sake. You have a belief similar to religion, and that's all. (And I dare say those honest enough to call it religion have something more going for them than those hiding behind mere words. Which is all you have.)
    Science discovered solar panels, nuclear power, etc... what are you talking about?

Science discovered solar panels, nuclear power, etc... what are you talking about?
    Feel good bullshit...that I'm sure someone "believes" will undo climate change...

7+ Year Old Account
    They pay taxes which the government can then use for geo-engineering.

So we're just doomed? It's a fantasy to believe we can solve climate problems?

History can't tell us what will happen in the future.

I guess if you want to call atheism a religion.

They pay taxes which the government can then use for geo-engineering. So we're just doomed? It's a fantasy to believe we can solve climate problems? History can't tell us what will happen in the future. I guess if you want to call atheism a religion.
    Words...where are your sources?
    Oh wait, you don't have any.
    You can't even claim any historical trends because if you learned from any of that..even a little, you'd be laughing at your own self.
    No logic to see here...just belief. As usual.

For Frith's sake, read your posts aloud and realize how naive...and even stupid they sound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel good bullshit...that I'm sure someone "believes" will undo climate change...
    I wonder why are all those efforts set on degrading to the point where the mankind will no longer affect the climate, rather than developing to the point where the climate change will no longer affect mankind?

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    U.S. Military Could Collapse Within 20 Years Due to Climate Change, Report Commissioned By Pentagon Says

Even the US military sees climate change as a substantial threat. I'm curious, if our energy needs can be met by reducing or completely removing fossil fuels, why are people so adamantly against it? I understand that some people, who's livelyhoods are are a result of the fossil fuel industry, would be against losing their jobs .. but if they were retrained and given jobs in renewable energy, then even that argument falls apart.

I did not see a climate change megathread - if there is one, feel free to move this post there.
    The military has plans of all sorts for various events and not just war plans. When a humanitarian event or some kind of disaster happens the military doesnt spend time trying to figure out what to do. Everybody involved already knows what to do, its just a matter of actually putting the plan into motion by actually doing what needs to be done. Plans for those types of things usually start out as something similar to that report you posted. Somebody thinks that something might happen, they talk about how it could affect our military, our country or the world or whatever. Then they try to come up with some kind of plan which would be put into action should that event ever occur.

If i interpret that report correctly it says that IF climate change is to occur in the way that they think it will happen then it could lead to the collapse of the military. Its not saying that climate change will happen for sure.
    Last edited by notanmmmonewbie; 2019-10-26 at 09:05 AM.

There's no way to predict anything that is non-trivial... If we could we would just look into the future then find the optimal solution to everything.
    Of course there is these predictions are based on current statistics and the reason they are raising the alarm has to do with the fact that the US does not have the infrastructure to handle climate change. I mean for fuck sake we have states where people live in flood zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Like 10 years ago iPhones didnt exist. We'll be fine. Innovation will solve the problem.
    Changing the entire agricultural system of a country is not an iphone and you shouldn't rely on innovation that does not exist yet to solve the problem. Especially when we can do very basic things to save lives like infrastructure, zoning regulations, safety standards for plants, building standards etc. The US has horrible infrastructure which is why each year we spend billions rebuilding only to have it destroyed again because those things don't get you votes.

8 years after climate change has destroyed the rest of the world, the US military will still be holding on.

'Murica. Fuck yeah

The military (and select other industries) will ALWAYS keep using fossil fuels. even when we get to the point where we have to artificially make it from plants or w/e.

Almost nothing can beat the energy density of fossil fuels, and the things that can are complicated, both in use and supply chains, whereas fossil fuels are simple.

For the rest of the world it's simply an financial decision, they do w/e is cheapest. and yes some people have an interest in making sure the thing they sell stays cheapest. people don't go for more expensive unless there is a urgent reason to do so, and in everyday life climate change doesn't feel very urgent yet (and won't untill its already way to late).
    Last edited by horbindr; 2019-10-26 at 11:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    For the rest of the world it's simply an financial decision, they do w/e is cheapest. and yes some people have an interest in making sure the thing they sell stays cheapest. people don't go for more expensive unless there is a urgent reason to do so
    Unless the repressive regime butts in and forces you to buy more expensive by forbidding cheapest things to exist or by heavily taxing these

Imagine the most over funded, heavily manned, and insanely equipped organization in the world imploding in 20 years. As much as that might grab a headline imagine all the things with less that can and would collapse before it?

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Imagine the most over funded, heavily manned, and insanely equipped organization in the world imploding in 20 years
    I am sorry but that happens all the time giant corporations people thought would be around forever going bankrupt and taking huge chunks of economies along with it. The biggest mistake anyone can make is thinking something is invulnerable sometimes the smallest problems bring down huge organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I am sorry but that happens all the time giant corporations people thought would be around forever going bankrupt and taking huge chunks of economies along with it. The biggest mistake anyone can make is thinking something is invulnerable sometimes the smallest problems bring down huge organizations.
    Right.. the part you left out of what I said is the point I made. But hey.. if you can't speak your mind on your own I will carry you.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Even the US military sees climate change as a substantial threat. I'm curious, if our energy needs can be met by reducing or completely removing fossil fuels, why are people so adamantly against it? I understand that some people, who's livelyhoods are are a result of the fossil fuel industry, would be against losing their jobs .. but if they were retrained and given jobs in renewable energy, then even that argument falls apart.
    The majority of the population listens and buys into the propaganda. They don't pay attention to what is actually going on.

News Corporation went green more than a decade ago despite Fox News still championing climate change denial.

The people with a lot of power spend a good chunk of money preserving what makes them rich. The fossil fuel industry is very profitable precisely because they don't spend money on making improvements or finding alternatives. Corporations, by their very definition, seek to maximize profit by any means...they do not, as some suppose, exist primarily to perform work in the market they exist.

The common people have been programmed all their lives to believe that the people at the top of corporations got there because they are very, very smart people, and that the corporations are successful so must be run by really smart people that know pretty much everything (hence the naive excitement by many of them when a business man runs for political office). They therefore assume that what they get told by those corporations must be the truth told by these really smart people.

Of course, the corporations are the big polluters, but those corporations keep trying to blame the common people who, from the paragraph above, think that must be the truth. Heck, I just saw some propaganda by BP on twitter today trying to get people to change their lifestyles while BP makes no changes at all despite the fact that even if everyone changed their habits drastically, it would only add up to a fraction of the damage BP does to the environment.