Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[Anime] Does ongoing manga usually= season 2? (Spoilers for safety)

I'm kinda new to the world of seasonal anime, or rather I'm new to watching anime that hasn't already been finished for a decade. I looked at Wikipedia for three anime series I follow, and they all have end dates... But the manga is listed as ongoing. Does this mean they're just up in the air for renewal or are they over?

I'm confused- I mean, Cautious Hero seems like it might have had a conclusive ending but the manga is still going. Same with After School Dice Club, although there's no way they'd just end it like that. Kemono Michi I really don't know yet.

I mean... A dude can dream. Re:Zero got S2 finally and so will Miss Kobayashi with time- very much willing to wait on that one after what happened, although I thought about getting started on the manga since it's for sale in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't hold my breath, I've been waiting for some series to get continuations for decades... if you really wanna see the continuation you should just read the manga, and then if they ever release more anime episodes you can watch those too for the animation and stuff.

Not at all. That's the case sometimes, but there are plenty of shows that have an ongoing manga that never have and never will get a second season.

After all, anime adaptations mostly exist to sell the manga, so whether the anime actually ends at a satisfying spot or not is kind of irrelevant, in fact it's better for sales of the manga if the anime ends on a cliffhanger. And once the manga is completed there's also little incentive to go back and make more of the anime.

Of course there are exceptions, shows like Fruits Basket are adapted from an already completed manga, but that's because the series is so popular that it'll be a financial success on its own. Most anime don't have that luxury.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Not at all. That's the case sometimes, but there are plenty of shows that have an ongoing manga that never have and never will get a second season.

After all, anime adaptations mostly exist to sell the manga, so whether the anime actually ends at a satisfying spot or not is kind of irrelevant, in fact it's better for sales of the manga if the anime ends on a cliffhanger. And once the manga is completed there's also little incentive to go back and make more of the anime.

Of course there are exceptions, shows like Fruits Basket are adapted from an already completed manga, but that's because the series is so popular that it'll be a financial success on its own. Most anime don't have that luxury.
    Well, either way I got to enjoy a good-ass season of anime. I checked all of these and the folks on Reddit all seem hopeful for renewals. Hopefully Winter 2020 brings some good stuff- I am behind on my whole queue, since I kinda fell off the wagon of watching every week due to holiday stress (I work in retail.) killing my mood, but anime Wednesday is hopefully back on the table soon.

Edit: Well, shit. I think I might take a break from new stuff for the most part this time around- nothing for the Winter 2020 list looks good to me aside from maybe Darwin's Game. Viewing priorities this time will probably be to finish up Dragon Ball since I'm on 127, and maybe start on Jojo (Yes, seriously. I never got past ep. 5 of Phantom Blood.) and pick Naruto back up from 26/MHA from the end of the Sports Festival. I also need to wrap up S2 of Kono Oto, and Kabukicho is still going. Might also check out Radiant.
    Last edited by Texan Penguin; 2020-01-03 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Bobblehead View Post
    Well, either way I got to enjoy a good-ass season of anime. I checked all of these and the folks on Reddit all seem hopeful for renewals. Hopefully Winter 2020 brings some good stuff- I am behind on my whole queue, since I kinda fell off the wagon of watching every week due to holiday stress (I work in retail.) killing my mood, but anime Wednesday is hopefully back on the table soon.
    Yeah hopefully Winter 2020 is good, only two shows I'm really interested in but I'll probably check out a few of the others and see if they're worth it or not. Feels like every season is pretty good nowadays, I mean with like 70+ shows a season there's bound to be quite a few good ones haha.

There are two types of anime. Stand alone productions for the sake of "anime" and adaptations as part of the advertisment, mostly Light Novels (or Web Novel) today and some stand-alone manga.The show you mentioned is originally a Light/Webnovel afaik, got a manga adaptation and after only releasing a few chapters of the manga got the anime. Both of these adaptations are purely for marketing/advertisment of the source material with a small RoI from the animation studios to sate some of the streaing and TV studios in Japan.

If the anime continues is purely up to how successfull it was and if the animation or TV studio (depending on who is funding it) has something better (or just cheaper) for that time slot. Personally I found that for most of these shows it's best to just flat out gun for the novels or manga, but always go for the original source first as that is the most likely to be actually finished one day. Currently there is a hype of adapting light novels in Japan, which brought along the Isekai (what your show falls under) genre to the forefront. This opened up alot of fantasy genre shows being produced, which is why you will often read about "Isekai trash", though there are definitely better/more original ones and worse ones.

The usual publication path is

Web Novel -> Light Novel -> Manga -> Anime.

Sometimes you can encounter IPs that skip a step or start further down the line, but with the current hype it's fairly unlikely. Especially Isekai shows and others that deviate from the "Shonen" trash came out of the WN/LN category.

They also often have the advantage that both written mediums have less restraints when it comes going into the nitty-gritty where the TV adaptations have to often make concessions, since most series don't have the pull of a Berserk.

Edit: Cautious hero was also far from conclusive imho. They flat out get sentenced to clear the world they originally failed, the story just begins here anew, they've advanced from an S class world to an SS class world.

Edit: I guess I didn't make it clear above, the answer to you question is a NO. Usually they don't get a second season, since they are only produced for advertisment in the first place. Only if they were successfull in Japan can you expect a continutation. That is why shit like "sword art online" keeps getting more seasons, there are enough idiots to lap it up .
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-01-03 at 06:21 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The continuation of a manga does not guarantee a second season. Sad as it may be, a lot of really good, interesting Anime are left after season 1, regardless of the manga continuing. It's sadly part of the deal. It primarily depends on the show's success in Japan.

Best thing you can do is keep an eye out. I do not enjoy reading mangas, I do not have the attention span, which makes it annoying when a show goes off the rail for an "Anime ending," like Blue Exorcist, because it's not certain whether it'll continue. You eventually start getting a good idea of which shows tend to get more seasons, once you've watched enough. Re:Zero is a good example of this, I was surprised it took the amount of time it did for S2 to be announced, but I never really doubted it was gonna happen.

We just had a great season though, and lots of my favored shows are getting a season 2, it's great <3 Ascendence of a Bookworm, Beastars, ofc there's Boku no hero, No guns life.

But the short answer though, is no. Continued manga does not = More anime seasons.

I'm kinda new to the world of seasonal anime, or rather I'm new to watching anime that hasn't already been finished for a decade. I looked at Wikipedia for three anime series I follow, and they all have end dates... But the manga is listed as ongoing. Does this mean they're just up in the air for renewal or are they over?

I'm confused- I mean, Cautious Hero seems like it might have had a conclusive ending but the manga is still going. Same with After School Dice Club, although there's no way they'd just end it like that. Kemono Michi I really don't know yet.

I mean... A dude can dream. Re:Zero got S2 finally and so will Miss Kobayashi with time- very much willing to wait on that one after what happened, although I thought about getting started on the manga since it's for sale in the US.
    It can sometimes take a while (it took Attack on Titan 4 years to get its season 2), generally though, the more popular a show is, the more likely it is to get a season 2. There are some exceptions such as No Game No Life, Devil is a Part-timer, and High School of the Dead, but generally speaking, if the anime was in the top 5 of a season and was unfinished, it will likely get another season.

Cautious Hero in particular may take a while as white fox is busy with Re:Zero, Arifureta, as well as Goblin Slayer at the moment. I could see them passing it to another studio though.
    Last edited by Paetolus; 2020-01-03 at 06:26 PM.

Anime adaptations rarely ever finish the story.

Anime adaptations are usually commissioned for the purpose of advertising the source material (manga, web novel, or light novel) to a wider audience. These adaptations are usually commissioned when the popularity of the source material is on the rise. When the popularity of the source material declines, it is very rare for it to receive further anime adaptations. Thus, why you have dozens and dozens of anime adaptations that do not finish the story.

Full Metal Panic (a light novel series) was insanely popular during the 2000's and received three seasons. Then it was forgotten. It's a miracle that it received a fourth season all of these years later, but it is unlikely that we will ever see the story finished onscreen.

Re:Zero was the most popular anime adaptation of a light novel I've seen in years, but I am doubtful that the whole story will be adapted into anime. The license holder didn't immediately jump on the chance for a second season, instead waiting years to announce it. The hype for the series has significantly died down. The arcs also get longer and longer as the series goes on, to the point where a 24 episode season might not be enough to cover an entire arc without cutting content. I doubt we will see the entire story adapted into anime.

There is also a special category of anime adaptation: Shounen Jump adaptations. The manga publisher, Shounen Jump, prefers to milk their properties for as long as possible. You may remember that they commissioned anime adaptations for their big three manga series, One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto, and ordered the series to go on indefinitely. Thus, why their anime adaptations are riddled with record breaking amounts of filler and padding. You need to watch Naruto Kai, a fan recut, in order to consume the anime adaptation of the story in a timely manner, whereas it is virtually impossible to do so with One Piece as even non-filler episodes are laden with filler scenes. The Naruto manga was headed to naturally conclude with the defeat of Pain and Madara, but Shounen Jump couldn't make money off of a concluded story, which is why Kaguya was introduced. The Bleach storyline was prematurely axed when its popularity had waned, which is why it had a rushed conclusion. Black Clover is the only other Shounen Jump adaptation besides One Piece that is slated to go on for forever with fillers. It's a miracle that Assassination Classroom and My Hero Academia didn't get slapped with anime adaptations meant to go on for forever, which is also why their anime adaptations are so good.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Well, shit. I think I might take a break from new stuff for the most part this time around- nothing for the Winter 2020 list looks good to me aside from maybe Darwin's Game. Viewing priorities this time will probably be to finish up Dragon Ball since I'm on 127, and maybe start on Jojo (Yes, seriously. I never got past ep. 5 of Phantom Blood.) and pick Naruto back up from 26/MHA from the end of the Sports Festival. I also need to wrap up S2 of Kono Oto, and Kabukicho is still going. Might also check out Radiant.
    If you are interested in Naruto, there is a fan recut of the anime called "Naruto Kai" that tells the entire story in just 72 episodes, only 8 episodes longer than Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

The most important criteria for an Anime to get a second season is how well the dvd/bluray's sell.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anime is popular and it sells other goods, then it will get another season or movie:

However a lot of anime made is generaly quick trash production that doesnt last a season. If you see a quality in animation, then it has a good chance of a new season.

Quality: Somali to Mori no Kamisama
    Trash: Koisuru Asteroid
    For example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Anime adaptations rarely ever finish the story.

Anime adaptations are usually commissioned for the purpose of advertising the source material (manga, web novel, or light novel) to a wider audience. These adaptations are usually commissioned when the popularity of the source material is on the rise. When the popularity of the source material declines, it is very rare for it to receive further anime adaptations. Thus, why you have dozens and dozens of anime adaptations that do not finish the story.

Full Metal Panic (a light novel series) was insanely popular during the 2000's and received three seasons. Then it was forgotten. It's a miracle that it received a fourth season all of these years later, but it is unlikely that we will ever see the story finished onscreen.

Re:Zero was the most popular anime adaptation of a light novel I've seen in years, but I am doubtful that the whole story will be adapted into anime. The license holder didn't immediately jump on the chance for a second season, instead waiting years to announce it. The hype for the series has significantly died down. The arcs also get longer and longer as the series goes on, to the point where a 24 episode season might not be enough to cover an entire arc without cutting content. I doubt we will see the entire story adapted into anime.

There is also a special category of anime adaptation: Shounen Jump adaptations. The manga publisher, Shounen Jump, prefers to milk their properties for as long as possible. You may remember that they commissioned anime adaptations for their big three manga series, One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto, and ordered the series to go on indefinitely. Thus, why their anime adaptations are riddled with record breaking amounts of filler and padding. You need to watch Naruto Kai, a fan recut, in order to consume the anime adaptation of the story in a timely manner, whereas it is virtually impossible to do so with One Piece as even non-filler episodes are laden with filler scenes. The Naruto manga was headed to naturally conclude with the defeat of Pain and Madara, but Shounen Jump couldn't make money off of a concluded story, which is why Kaguya was introduced. The Bleach storyline was prematurely axed when its popularity had waned, which is why it had a rushed conclusion. Black Clover is the only other Shounen Jump adaptation besides One Piece that is slated to go on for forever with fillers. It's a miracle that Assassination Classroom and My Hero Academia didn't get slapped with anime adaptations meant to go on for forever, which is also why their anime adaptations are so good.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are interested in Naruto, there is a fan recut of the anime called "Naruto Kai" that tells the entire story in just 72 episodes, only 8 episodes longer than Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
    - I loved Assassination Classroom and I would throw a fucking chair if they extended it. It had the most perfect ending for an anime and that is where it needs to stay.

-I think I might skip Bleach’s anime in favor of the manga, or at least finish that first.

-I think MHA will go for at least a few more seasons. Not ridiculously long like One Piece but I’d say 300 episodes max.

I'm not sure why anime in general seems to hate doing a season 2...like it's a serious problem.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'm not sure why anime in general seems to hate doing a season 2...like it's a serious problem.
    Money, what else.

Making good quality anime isn't cheap, and the revenue has to be made somewhere. Often it's part broadcast/DVD sales, and part promotion of secondary materials like manga or (now more commonly) light novels. If the first season yields profits that make them think a second season would also be profitable to produce, they'll do it - examples include e.g. Overlord, where the anime resulted in a good enough boost in sales for the light novel that they keep making new seasons. But that doesn't always work that way, like with e.g. Rokka no Yuusha where the anime was rather disappointing and as a result was discontinued despite the massive cliffhanger at the end.

It's all about profits. Which is no surprise to anyone I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's all about profits. Which is no surprise to anyone I suppose.
    Yea, it's a shame because there's really no way to tell how much money a second season would makel. But you'd like to napkin math think series would garner huge profits by giving fans more of what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Yea, it's a shame because there's really no way to tell how much money a second season would makel. But you'd like to napkin math think series would garner huge profits by giving fans more of what they want.
    There's people whose entire job is literally this, making profit predictions. And it's not as simple as "just give fans more" - the question is how many fans there are, and how much they will pay in the future. SOMEONE would watch it, obviously - but HOW MANY is the actual question, and that's... complicated. If it was an easy job, there wouldn't be so many failures.

15+ Year Old Account
    No game no life s2 never. But anyway new madoka and railgun s3 might be alright

10+ Year Old Account
    In a word: No.

In several words: There is a wide variety of factors that are in play when it comes to anime getting additional seasons. Whether the source material has enough content to carry another season is only one element in the process. I'd say that how profitable the IP is the biggest factor in whether or not a show will get additional seasons. Also most of the shows that get additional season are based on LNs, not manga (though some do wind up with manga adaptations, but those come after the LNs).

There are a couple of shows that are practically guaranteed to continue until the manga ends (Gintama, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach are all examples of this, but they're the exceptions to the norm).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anima is rarely made with a full adaptation in mind. More often than not, the source is still ongoing. The only recent exception I can think of is the Fruits Basket remake, though that's kinda a special case.

existing story to build with doesn't always mean a new season will be made. There are a lot of other factors to consider, like how well merchandise sells and general interest in the IP in addition to just needing more material to draw from.