Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    A natural game cycle.
    There is nothing natural about a game still having millions of players 15 years after it's first release lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    It's sad to see so many people grossly inflate Classic's success. What they are doing is looking at the numbers that came to try out Classic, not those who will stay 6 months later. I'm happy that people are stoked about getting to play Classic, but the ones going on with "see how successful it is and how much better than retail it is" need to tone it down. Retail is evolution; Classic is stagnation. Deal with it.
    Evolution means thar your current version is better than your old one. BFA is not overall better than Classic so its not wow evolution. Its regresion. Only thing whaylt have retail better is graphics and class rotations. In all other aspext classic is far superior mmorpg.

I don't think it's a stretch at all to estimate that millions played classic at launch. They kept having to open new servers because of how popular it's been. Even some of the newly opened servers were experiencing huge queues.

However that is past tense. I think the amount of people still really playing classic is probably down 80-90% from its peak. I don't have anything to prove this besides anecdotal evidence. I could easily be wrong. I think the playerbase will continue to dwindle until all that remains is a very small but very loyal group of players (200-300k?)

I got a character to 60 and cleared the raids, but endgame is so terrible that I haven't logged on past checking auctions in weeks. I thought of leveling alts but literally every friend I had started classic with (10 people) have quit. Activity is down immensely. I might check out future phases though.

I enjoyed it while it lasted and hope blizzard takes some aspects of classic to improve retail. Endgame is just horrendous by today's standards though.

And before anyone calls me a retail fanboy, retail sucks too. I would have quit long ago if I didn't like my guild. They are both incomplete games.

Quote Originally Posted by Notdev View Post
    I don't think it's a stretch at all to estimate that millions played classic at launch. They kept having to open new servers because of how popular it's been. Even some of the newly opened servers were experiencing huge queues.

However that is past tense. I think the amount of people still really playing classic is probably down 80-90% from its peak. I don't have anything to prove this besides anecdotal evidence. I could easily be wrong. I think the playerbase will continue to dwindle until all that remains is a very small but very loyal group of players (200-300k?)

I got a character to 60 and cleared the raids, but endgame is so terrible that I haven't logged on past checking auctions in weeks. I thought of leveling alts but literally every friend I had started classic with (10 people) have quit. Activity is down immensely. I might check out future phases though.

I enjoyed it while it lasted and hope blizzard takes some aspects of classic to improve retail. Endgame is just horrendous by today's standards though.

And before anyone calls me a retail fanboy, retail sucks too. I would have quit long ago if I didn't like my guild. They are both incomplete games.
    While you're almost certainly correct, it won't stop anybody on this forum from using "but my friendslist is full of Classic players," or the fact that there's a login queue for a realm that Blizzard has warned daily for the last two fucking months to transfer off of (for free) as "proof" Classic is a ravishing success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I don't understand the shame ppl seem to have about it. Most of my guild in retail muck around in classic, some more than others.

Classic is a terribly flawed game with no scope. I enjoy it for what it is - a trip down memory lane. It's fine, but from class design, to the sub LFR difficulty raid encounters, it lacks everything I enjoy about retail.

Retail is very functional, but lacks any real soul or adventure. It has exceptionally difficult content, and you have a huge amount of content at endgame.

What I'm saying is both iterations are flawed, but currently I am playing very little of either and actually enjoying bfv and re:2 and other games from different genres.

The biggest flaw wow has is the community, and that's true from vanilla to bfa, and imo, at it's worst in classic.
    Players like this guy are gonna get rocked p2, pvp is the real end game in classic.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    It was mentioned twice already, Classic wow brought back millions of subs to World of Warcraft.
    My assumption is 3.5m subs.
    Where's the confirmation? They've never said this directly. Only thing said is that in a single quarter Classic brought in the largest sub increase in history. This does not equate to a numerical value nor does it claim that they kept those players for the entire quarter and moving into this current quarter. If you want to make a post with the word "confirmation" at least have sources and evidence before you look like a fool.

That said, I enjoyed what I got from Classic, I have no interest in reliving the raids or the PvP ranks. So I'm pretty done with Classic moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Players like this guy are gonna get rocked p2, pvp is the real end game in classic.
    Been there, done that. What exactly are you expecting to "rock" me second time round? PvP was a literal afterthought for the game. Seriously, im genuinely interested about what exactly in my post made you think im going to get "rocked" by vanilla pvp?

Fun times ahead with honor up and layers gone.

\o/

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Where's the confirmation? They've never said this directly. Only thing said is that in a single quarter Classic brought in the largest sub increase in history. This does not equate to a numerical value nor does it claim that they kept those players for the entire quarter and moving into this current quarter. If you want to make a post with the word "confirmation" at least have sources and evidence before you look like a fool.

That said, I enjoyed what I got from Classic, I have no interest in reliving the raids or the PvP ranks. So I'm pretty done with Classic moving forward.
    Here is my issue with the statements, and i called this MONTHS ago when the joint sub was announced - Blizzard, through clever word use, can frame whatever game they like as a success. And although classic has clearly been popular for the first few weeks, i think it is lip service at it best on Blizzards behalf, because they know that, for reasons i will never understand, SOME classic fans are so unstable they are fascinated by not just the success of classic, but the 'defeat' of retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Evolution means thar your current version is better than your old one. BFA is not overall better than Classic so its not wow evolution. Its regresion. Only thing whaylt have retail better is graphics and class rotations. In all other aspext classic is far superior mmorpg.
    Evolution does not mean better.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Here is my issue with the statements, and i called this MONTHS ago when the joint sub was announced - Blizzard, through clever word use, can frame whatever game they like as a success. And although classic has clearly been popular for the first few weeks, i think it is lip service at it best on Blizzards behalf, because they know that, for reasons i will never understand, SOME classic fans are so unstable they are fascinated by not just the success of classic, but the 'defeat' of retail.
    Personally I don't care either way. I still play Classic with my friends casually and I still raid in retail. I just want the franchise to succeed and it just aggravates me when debates on which game is successful or which game has more subs, because honestly who gives a fuck if you're playing the game and not having a difficult time forming groups or participating in your preferred in-game activity. I think Classic has significantly less players than it did at launch, the rush is over people leveled and that's all a lot of people wanted to do, relive the leveling experience. I think the most anecdotal evidence to this is that Blizzard is trying to push phases super fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It's strange how many people on MMO Champ HATE WoW Retail.......its sad.
    Is it? Retail Wow has been declining hard for years...

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    The features, QoL changes, options, intuitiveness of the interface and customisation options all increased in retail, therefore it qualifies as an evolution of the game. The only reason you would think Classic is a better game is because you are blinded by nostalgia. Take away the nostalgia aspect and Classic is a very dated, stagnant and counter-intuitive version of the game.

3+ Year Old Account
    I want both Classic and Retail WoW to succeed because I want to be able to play them five to ten years from now. Nothing lasts forever and eventually the servers will be shut down for good, but I’d like to forestall that inevitably for as long as possible. Play Classic, play Retail, whatever makes you happy. Just keep the game alive.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleloron View Post
    I want both Classic and Retail WoW to succeed because I want to be able to play them five to ten years from now. Nothing lasts forever and eventually the servers will be shut down for good, but I’d like to forestall that inevitably for as long as possible. Play Classic, play Retail, whatever makes you happy. Just keep the game alive.
    NO! Reasonable and positive comments are not allowed here!

But in all seriousness, I agree. I just want blizzard to do better with the future expansions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    The features, QoL changes, options, intuitiveness of the interface and customisation options all increased in retail, therefore it qualifies as an evolution of the game. The only reason you would think Classic is a better game is because you are blinded by nostalgia. Take away the nostalgia aspect and Classic is a very dated, stagnant and counter-intuitive version of the game.
    I didn't play in Vanilla. I started playing in very late TBC and I think that Classic is quite a bit better than the current version of WoW. I don't have any nostalgia at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Is it? Retail Wow has been declining hard for years...
    The Simpsons has been declining for years too, but i see no reason to HATE it, and to make my hatred for it vocal to anyone who will listen, and to specifically target a forum dedicated to people who DO enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    While you're almost certainly correct, it won't stop anybody on this forum from using "but my friendslist is full of Classic players," or the fact that there's a login queue for a realm that Blizzard has warned daily for the last two fucking months to transfer off of (for free) as "proof" Classic is a ravishing success.
    What proof do you have that Classic is failing? the only proof of anything that we have heard is Blizzard saying in there Quarterly report; "World of Warcraft® Classic drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans in franchise history, in both the West and East".
    And another quote from the Quarterly report; "World of Warcraft Classic sustaining strong engagement into Q4".
    Sounds like Classic is doing pretty well...
    Last edited by khazmodan; 2019-11-12 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    What proof do you have that Classic is failing? the only proof of anything that we have heard is Blizzard saying in there Quarterly report; "World of Warcraft® Classic drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans in franchise history, in both the West and East".
    And another quote from the Quarterly report; "World of Warcraft Classic sustaining strong engagement into Q4".
    Sounds like Classic is doing pretty well...
    Did you even bother reading the post I quoted? Neither myself nor the dude I quoted said it was failing, only that there has been a significant drop off in player activity in Classic since launch.

Honestly the cognitive dissonance coming from anti-classic posters is mind boggling. Blizzard could come out and release a statement saying “classic has more people than retail”(it does) and posters on this board would spend 5 paragraphs breaking down why blizzard was wrong with their statement and how inaccurate it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovaaa View Post
    Honestly the cognitive dissonance coming from anti-classic posters is mind boggling. Blizzard could come out and release a statement saying “classic has more people than retail”(it does) and posters on this board would spend 5 paragraphs breaking down why blizzard was wrong with their statement and how inaccurate it is.
    Pray tell, in your infinite wisdom, why exactly does it matter whether Classic has more players than retail? (It doesn't.)