10+ Year Old Account

"The Darkest of Terrors, Which Should Never Be Set Free"

So from the Shadowlands features trailer:

The part that begins at 0:30 is what I am referring to. Bolvar narrates:

"Within the realm of shadow, lies the darkest of terrors, which should never be set free."

And this is the scene:

So that is most definitely Mueh'zala, right?

Or this "Jailer" perhaps?

Or if not, would could possibly be considered the "darkest of terrors" that should never be freed? Certainly Bolvar knows what he is talking about being the Lich King for the past 4 - 5 years. We've encountered a lot of terrible things. Sargeras, N'Zoth... but the darkest of them all?

Calling it the "darkest of terrors" reads as hyperbole - It's generic hype talk common in fantasy. At best, the creature represents the most powerful being of that scope of the cosmology. Ie. Death. It might compare to N'zoth, but no way to Sargeras or the Void Lords or any of that.

Kind of lame that the Lich King has gone from basically the most dangerous being on Azeroth to... Underpowered stooge. Classic Dragon Ball tactic, there.

In the WoW Panel they said this guy is the "Jailer".

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Calling it the "darkest of terrors" reads as hyperbole - It's generic hype talk common in fantasy. At best, the creature represents the most powerful being of that scope of the cosmology. Ie. Death. It might compare to N'zoth, but no way to Sargeras or the Void Lords or any of that.

Kind of lame that the Lich King has gone from basically the most dangerous being on Azeroth to... Underpowered stooge. Classic Dragon Ball tactic, there.
    After seeing LK noting that Sylvanas is missing from the spot which was hit by the giant rock I just waited to hear something like "NANI!?"

5+ Year Old Account
    It's possible that this is the literal incarnation of Death. Basically the Grim Reaper.

Which would make it quite overpowered.

I bet this is just generic talk, meaning that he is just very, very powerful

From what I understand, Jailer is who Sylvanas works with, but he still serves *somebody* else. It's not clear whether he goes into business for himself or if he just follows orders.

Or he meant something that is actually jailed in the maw, now jailer himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Revaniter92 View Post
    Or he meant something that is actually jailed in the maw, now jailer himself.
    Yep, if the Maw is meant to keep all of the worst souls in jail, and Shadowlands are "universe-wide" plain of afterlife, then it could me anyone from Hogger to Argus, or Old Gods themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    Real question is: who is the jailor "jailing"? Who or what is consuming souls in the Maw?

I'm secretly still hoping that the answer to both these questions is Yogg Saron - the connection between him and the Lich King (and, by extension, the Shadowlands) was never expanded on, and I really feel like (with early leaks of the Shadowlands concept hinting at Old God soul consumption) it's probably a plot element they're going to use somehow.

He's the guy that'll take all the combined might of at least... 20 people to kill and get a mount of.

Seriously, if we're just gonna kill Nzoth easy peasy then I just don't know what the point of these big baddies is. We should lose these fights, every single time, yet we just keep winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    Real question is: who is the jailor "jailing"? Who or what is consuming souls in the Maw?

I'm secretly still hoping that the answer to both these questions is Yogg Saron - the connection between him and the Lich King (and, by extension, the Shadowlands) was never expanded on, and I really feel like (with early leaks of the Shadowlands concept hinting at Old God soul consumption) it's probably a plot element they're going to use somehow.
    His crown somehow resemble Helm of Domination*, i bet if the Tower is a counterpart to ICC, then the Jailor is a counterpart to Lich King.

*or maybe Lordaeron Crown, I guess Terenas namedrop was on purpose

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    He's the guy that'll take all the combined might of at least... 20 people to kill and get a mount of.

Seriously, if we're just gonna kill Nzoth easy peasy then I just don't know what the point of these big baddies is. We should lose these fights, every single time, yet we just keep winning.
    Welcome to video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post

The funny thing is Sylvanas is above the most powerful entity in the Shadowlands, as stated by Ion during the panel.

So what the hell is this all about when Sylvanas still comes out atop. At this point I really question why she hasn’t soloed Sargeras yet.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post

Could be, but also the one with seven heads, one killed by titans.

If he is so powerful, and he's the Jailor, then who managed to lock him up?

Also, with the imagery of a symmetry between the two towers: Icecrown and Torghast, I'd expect some Lich King backstory lore shenanigans this expansion. Ion specifically pointed out that the architecture of Torghast will remind us of Icecrown (and it shows - even from the outside Torghast looks like a twisted version of Icecrown), and they both - until recently - had the Jailor (of the Damned) sit on their tops. I doubt that's going to be a coincidence, it will rather turn out that the Icecrown was built to mirror the Torghast on the other side of the veil. So what exactly is the relation between the Jailor and the Lich King?

I expect that the story will follow the origins of the Lich King and the Helm of Damnation. They need to answer the question why the destruction of the helm has torn the rift between the worlds. We know that the helm was created by Nathrezim, and so it happens that the first raid is the Castle Nathria. Also, we will visit Maldraxxus which is supposed to the the source of the powerful undead serving the Lich King, so we are sure to explore that connection as well.

Edit:
    Ok, so quoting Blizzard:
    During your adventures in the Shadowlands, you're going to find the forge where Domination armor is created, where they made the Helmet and where they made Frostmourne
    which basically confirms the Lich King / Nathrezim plot being explored this expac.
    Last edited by KurtMash; 2019-11-02 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    The funny thing is Sylvanas is above the most powerful entity in the Shadowlands, as stated by Ion during the panel.

So what the hell is this all about when Sylvanas still comes out atop. At this point I really question why she hasn’t soloed Sargeras yet.
    Why would she? If she wants as much death as possible, killing Sargeras should be that high on her list.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post

You do realize N'Zoth is the weakest of the Old Gods, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by HailArthas View Post
    Oh my, I forgot that being 'the weakest' of one of the strongest beings in existence is a solid justification. Stupid titans, should've just gone for Nzoth if he's so obviously and clearly weak.

Quote Originally Posted by HailArthas View Post
    He still should be leagues above Sylvanas. Sylvanas has been given divine powers without ANY explanation.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again