Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Because they don't remain cloistered. And then you've gained the tremendous cultural and human capital of an entire group of people, with the capacity to accommodate even more.

Still waiting on your example, by the way.
    You can get the advantage of culture without the disadvantage of language barriers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That isn't even a disadvantage that exists.

The reality is that people just become multilingual, where those groups interact.

In Canada, Quebec is largely French (Montreal aside), most of the rest of the country is English. We have very few issues due to language, at all.

There is no such "cloistering", unless there is some separate antagonism between these cultural groups which would drive a divide between them, which would not otherwise exist. And frankly, to stick to my Canada example, we have such an antagonistic divide, dating back to Canada's origins, and we've mostly gotten over it ("mostly" because Quebec separatist sentiment still exists, but that's akin to the Scottish independence movement in terms of "antagonism"; it's not a heated issue).
    You literally just proved the Quebecois are cloistered.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    I just wonder why exactly is this a problem and why it is not desired to further improve the situation towards the 100%
    Learning another language is beneficial to education, I mean just google it, there's pages and pages on it.

Especially helpful in insular societies, which experience a kind of brain rot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Name an advantage that exceeds the disadvantages of ineffective communication between groups and the cloistering of said groups of multiple languages.
    How does advocating multilingualism lead to less effective communication?

Linguistic ghettoing is exactly the thing it advocates against...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Learning another language is beneficial to education, I mean just google it, there's pages and pages on it.
    Learning another language is a different story. The concern is 10 to 15 percent of population not being able to speak common language thus are excluded from normal communication

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sol View Post
    You should learn the language the majority speaks in a country. If you have no intent in learning it, why are you in the country unless just there to work temporarily and move back home when you're done?
    This is the US we're talking about, as I just finished saying that is a non-problem. The vast majority of the country only speaks English, and I literally can't even find figures on the percent that don't speak it at all. I suspect it's tiny.

Getting all worked up over a non-issue like this is basically just for bigots.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sol View Post
    Sincerely, someone from the old world. And not an Anglo country.
    You live in a country where 80% have at least one secondary language. English.

Which is another great way of making my point - that English is the least imperilled language on Earth and America has less to worry about than anyone else. You should be a lot more concerned about Swedish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Learning another language is a different story. The concern is 10 to 15 percent of population not being able to speak common language thus are excluded from normal communication
    Please provide your source for this 10-15% that can't speak any English.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think I'm ever going to quite be able to grasp how folks on your side of this issue think that the lesson modern Americans should take from the Native American experience with the European influx into the Americas is that no one should have any concerns about newcomers with different cultures.
    I love it when you let your careful mask of neutrality slip lol.

You think people cutting through a fence in the southern border are comparable to an invading imperial army with vastly superior technology bent on domination of the continent?

I guess in your mind the Blitz was just a really quick German immigration into France lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I guess in your mind the Blitz was just a really quick German immigration into France lol.
    If only those French had built a great, protective barrier against the Germans, a line, if you will, then they totally never ever would have been conquered in WW2! Because barriers always work if you pour enough blind time and money into them, right?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.