Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    There's really not much story left in the WoW universe. They HAVE to start creating new lore. All the old gods are dead and gone. The only big bads left are the void lords, and I assume we'll kill them in 10.x. I'm not sure what you expect, here. I think the new story they've come up with looks kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryonas View Post
    There's really not much story left in the WoW universe. They HAVE to start creating new lore. All the old gods are dead and gone. The only big bads left are the void lords, and I assume we'll kill them in 10.x. I'm not sure what you expect, here. I think the new story they've come up with looks kinda cool.
    The problem is that Blizzard seems intent on cutting existing plot threads that could be fleshed out in an entire extension's worth of content short to pigeon hole a narrative that they feel is "epic". The setting has become less about world building and more about using setting as a prop for story and nothing more.

Vanilla - WotLK thrived on world building. It gave mystique to the world and made people want to explore. Post Wrath story has driven the setting and it has suffered.

i wouldnt even go so far as to say that adding abilities back is patch worthy content, its them fixing something they broke for stupid reasons in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Its not dramatic... Blizzard has shown time and time again that "Wait for X" isn't a reliable method of expectation.

Lets talk about shamans as an example. A lot of issues concerning Enh/Ele shamans were raised in the BFA Beta. Shamans went live anyway. In 8.0, once the majority of people started playing, there was a lot of feed back again provided regarding how bad enh/ele felt. Blizzard responded by saying they were aware of the issues but the fixes were beyond the capability of a hotfix and would have to wait for 8.1. Here we are on our way to 8.3 and STILL no real changes to Ele/Enh.

This is a perfect example of why "Wait until X" is awful logic when discussing issues concerning Blizzard.

You wait and wait and wait and nothing happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Its great for people who are happy with classes as they are. Very bad for people who aren't enjoying any of the classes in their current implementations. There is nothing announced that would interest people who don't feel any particular draw towards any of the classes.

For me, I've played since classic. I've played most of the classes that I was interested in to death. The last few expacs they've felt very bland and same-y. Now, none of them draw my attention, none of them have anything new or interesting happening.

If you don't identify with any of the classes and don't particularly enjoy playing any of them, then it doesn't matter how good the "content" of the expansion is, you aren't going to be able to enjoy it playing a class that you don't really feel a connection to.
    Something something nonsense something something more nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by tyranade View Post
    I agree totally with OP and in addition to this I think the expansion is so early in development because they have been forced to backtrack.
    Maybe they had started on something but the success of Classic and failure of BfA put them in an untenable position and they where told to change course.
    Lmfao, you can't be serious. Expansions are planned two or more in advance. We were farming Archimonde mounts while the early draft for this expansion was being worked on. Cancelling everything because of Classic is one of the most hilariously silly conspiracy theories I've ever heard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khahirr View Post
    The problem is that Blizzard seems intent on cutting existing plot threads that could be fleshed out in an entire extension's worth of content short to pigeon hole a narrative that they feel is "epic". The setting has become less about world building and more about using setting as a prop for story and nothing more.

Vanilla - WotLK thrived on world building. It gave mystique to the world and made people want to explore. Post Wrath story has driven the setting and it has suffered.
    Are you one of those people who would have preferred for retail WoW to have stayed on patch 3.3.0 since 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker1 View Post
    Disagree 100%.it's way to early to be overdramatic when The expansion doesn't even exist live yet.
    - Its no out yet!
    - Its an alpha!
    - Its an beta!
    - It just released!
    - its just 9.1!
    - Its just 9.2!
    - its just 9.3!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabai View Post
    - Its no out yet!
    - Its an alpha!
    - Its an beta!
    - It just released!
    - its just 9.1!
    - Its just 9.2!
    - its just 9.3!
    It's just bitching for the sake of bitching, producing zero constructive discussion other than "DAE Blizz sux???!"

I am pretty much in the same boat. very little apart from the tower seems interesting to me. if that can be used as a way of alternate end game progression over raiding and mythic plus id be happy. just solo or small group play that allows me to get gear and push further up the tower. would work for me since becoming a father. and would give me a reason to stay subbed.
    in reality its going to be a something to do that isn't very rewarding after earning the legendries. then that's just a complete waste of an opportunity to me.

I am holding off my prepurchase until they release some new info or at least some more details about whats coming. a big thing would be the gear etc.

Legion Feature Trailer:
    - New Continent
    - Artifacts
    - Class Halls
    - New Class - Demon Hunter

SL Feature Trailer:
    - Lists each zone as a separate feature...

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    When they try to sell "fixing classes" as a feature, yeah, it's hard to call this expansion anything but a maintenance expansion.
    If they fix classes its already better than bfa though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Legion Feature Trailer:
    - New Continent
    - Artifacts
    - Class Halls

SL Feature Trailer:

People defending this scam of a expansion: They are making customization options and reworking the classes.

I pretty much agree completely OP, and I think the majority of people not addicted to WoW feel the same. Shadowlands lacks a hook, I haven't heard a single thing that makes me genuinely excited to log in and play it. This feels like a band-aid expansion with a new continent thrown on.

I'm open to being proven wrong but all signs so far point to this expansion being a new low point for WoW, too. They've already hinted that they don't want to make huge changes to classes, but honestly for once I'd be open to it because of how atrociously bad class design feels right now on live. No new classes, no new races, nothing really to make the world feel like it's changed from what I'm familiar with and frankly bored with? It doesn't have to be a new class, but something to really surprise me.

As it stands, Shadowlands looks like a comfortable expansion for Blizzard, and an attempt to keep players they already have instead of impress. I'm getting the impression that Legion really was their last big hurrah and we'll just be getting more BfAs after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I pretty much agree completely OP, and I think the majority of people not addicted to WoW feel the same. Shadowlands lacks a hook, I haven't heard a single thing that makes me genuinely excited to log in and play it. This feels like a band-aid expansion with a new continent thrown on.

I'm open to being proven wrong but all signs so far point to this expansion being a new low point for WoW, too. They've already hinted that they don't want to make huge changes to classes, but honestly for once I'd be open to it because of how atrociously bad class design feels right now on live. No new classes, no new races, nothing really to make the world feel like it's changed from what I'm familiar with and frankly bored with? It doesn't have to be a new class, but something to really surprise me.

As it stands, Shadowlands looks like a comfortable expansion for Blizzard, and an attempt to keep players they already have instead of impress. I'm getting the impression that Legion really was their last big hurrah and we'll just be getting more BfAs after this.
    More BFAs woot woot feels good man!!!!!

Honestly, after reflecting a bit I think I may have figured out the business model.

It’s almost as if they will be depending on alts carrying their subs forward. Think about it.

Currently:

You hit max level, and then only have the personal resources to really keep 1-3 characters caught up and geared.

Shadowlands:

Get bored on your main? Run out of things to do? Go play an alt.

Farm out and play that allied race. New racials, but that’s it. Still using the same class abilities. Still completing the same content/same quests.

They can add no end of allied races, it only requires a few racials, and a short introductory starting area (5 quests?).

It’s the most bang for their buck quite honestly and players eat that shit up. Wait, I can play as a gnome with mechanical arms and legs? Sign me up. Sure, I’ll slog through the same quests over and over again!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Its great for people who are happy with classes as they are. Very bad for people who aren't enjoying any of the classes in their current implementations. There is nothing announced that would interest people who don't feel any particular draw towards any of the classes.

For me, I've played since classic. I've played most of the classes that I was interested in to death. The last few expacs they've felt very bland and same-y. Now, none of them draw my attention, none of them have anything new or interesting happening.

If you don't identify with any of the classes and don't particularly enjoy playing any of them, then it doesn't matter how good the "content" of the expansion is, you aren't going to be able to enjoy it playing a class that you don't really feel a connection to.
    I do understand the issues people are facing. However there was a point being made how or why people can be hyped or think they might enjoy Shadowlands even tho it lacks changes to classes.

I do not wanna discuss if x class or x specc is bland or the same-y.

My point was merely made that for some people that are happy for the new expansion dont need class changes to enjoy or be hyped for the new expansion.

And all those people basicallly say: i am happy with xpac because of x feature.

Since class changes aren't needed in their eyes.

I do understand people want changes and keep on hoping for major changes to classes and speccs. However i do not think we will see major changes in the coming years.

So the only thing i can say about it:
    Find a class or specc you like and play it.

Or move on and look for another game, you will get disappointed the coming years if you keep hoping for major changes.

Dont get me wrong, i totally understand the feedback towards the changes people want.

However putting them under the: the new xpac sucks because classes dont get changed at all isnt going to work or get the right attention from the people looking for things to work on.

I do fear that down the line, threads like these will get interpreted the wrong way and the new expansions or patches to come will feature content or changes to content nobody is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Lmfao, you can't be serious. Expansions are planned two or more in advance. We were farming Archimonde mounts while the early draft for this expansion was being worked on. Cancelling everything because of Classic is one of the most hilariously silly conspiracy theories I've ever heard.

I think a lot of it have changed course, yes. Not the whole thing. What they presented was really unfinished. It could be that the presentation on Blizzcon had been hastily changed and had bits edited out. Like when Ion skipped over the part about Anima.
    If they haven’t changed and just trying to hide things they don’t want to talk about, then it’s even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Legion Feature Trailer:
    - New Continent
    - Artifacts
    - Class Halls

SL Feature Trailer:

aaaand banking on a new LK to help boost hype. :P

- - - Updated - - -

You guys know pretty well that if blizz really wanted to make this an awesome expac, they could. I mean..shadowlands has been a long discussed and speculated topic. Now that we are finally getting it, seems a tad lackluster compared to what we hoped the expac could be. I'm pretty sure ideas for this were joughted down well before they made the expac, on possible things that they could put in. Who really knows thought, they just might have a plethora of surprises that await us in the land of the dead. Since we are getting covenents, think we will see The San'layn in this expac? If you think about it, makes perfect sense for blizz not to add them. What would a shadowlands expac be w/o them darkfallen vampires?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Anima isnt ap. They said its closer to something like Valor or War resources.
    You go on believing that. There's an AP grind in this expansion whether it's Anima or something else. The takeaway is that there's going to be something either 1:1 an AP grind, or something slightly different that fills the same position as an expansion long grind that takes longer and longer as levels get higher. Even if they dial it back just a smidgen to try and throw people off, it'll still be there.

AP grinding was not a 'feature' for gameplay purposes. It was a tool implemented for a specific reason.