Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation UK beats China in developing social credit systems

Original sauce.

Monday, 4 November 2019

North Bristol NHS Trust has today launched a “Red Card to Racism” campaign to protect all staff from any discrimination.

Following a national trend, staff have reported that incidents of racism on wards have increased over the past year so the hospital will be enforcing its zero tolerance policy against abusive behaviour.

This means that any patient abusing staff will be challenged and warned, leading to a sports-style disciplinary yellow card and then final red card in which treatment would be withdrawn as soon as is safe.

Any visitors causing disturbance or behaving in an unacceptable manner will get one verbal warning before being removed.

Andrea Young, Chief Executive from North Bristol NHS Trust said:

“We have staff from many different backgrounds, from all over the world, and we pride ourselves on our commitment to equality which is a fundamental value of the NHS.

“We’re sending a strong signal that any racism or discrimination is completely unacceptable – we want staff to challenge and report it and we want everyone to know that it will have consequences.”

The abusive behaviour policy covers anyone with mental capacity making:
    • Racist or sexist language, gestures or behaviour.
    • Excessive noise.
    • Abuse of alcohol or drugs.
    • Threatening and offensive language.
    • Malicious allegations.
    • Intentional damage to trust property.
    • Any cases will be reported on the trust’s incident management system and on patients’ individual notes.

Posters around the hospital and videos and photos on social media will inform staff that they are protected by the policy and encourage them to speak up if they witness or experience an incident of racism or discrimination.

The hospital will also be calling for staff to join its Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Network to champion the approach and to provide support to any affected staff.

Alex Raikes from Stand Against Racism & Inequality (SARI) said:

“SARI is working with a number of hospital trusts regarding racist incidents towards staff and patients, and is pleased to be supporting a dedicated working group at NBT in enforcing the zero tolerance approach towards racism and hate crime.

“It is crucial that hospitals are safe, respectful and inclusive environments, and that all the hard-working employees’ feel fully supported when they face such abuse.

“It’s great to see NBT putting out the strongest message possible to the wider community about the abhorrence of any forms of discrimination against their staff or visitors.”

Those wimps in China merely stop you getting on flights and such if you have a bad score. Pfft - we here in the UK will be doing our best to kil- uhm, I mean send home as soon as safe to do so all the white supreeeeemists in our midst.
    Still not tired of winning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Do you understand the "as soon as safe to do so" part?
    By definition, they're talking about sending people home earlier than they otherwise would, because racist or w/e. Luckily, complications will never arise in the time period between being sent home early and staying on until you'd be sent home under normal circumstances .

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Just don't be an abusive or racist person towards anyone in the hospital, problem solved.
    Uh-huh. What are "malicious allegations" exactly? What about "offensive language"? If a woman doesn't want a MtF transsexual to give her a cervical swab, will she have to hold her tongue in case she gets classified as a BadThinker? If you see a nurse abusing a patient and call it out, you can bet the nurse will consider that a malicious allegation.

And that doesn't even get into the problem of simple misunderstandings.

But no, I'm sure the slippery slope is just a logical fallacy, and never happens IRL .
    Still not tired of winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    What, its creating consequences for bad behavior. I thought conservatives were all about responsibility?

Unless their personal privilege for being mean, and getting away with it, suddenly has consequences.
    Government Affiliated Snark

My concern is that there's a very real risk that individuals with legitimate concerns will be painted as being 'abusive' simply for standing their ground and refusing to be treated dismissively. The entire health system is currently under immense strain for a number of reasons and over time the availability of appointments has decreased significantly. To say nothing of how quickly people are brushed aside during the five to ten minutes they are designated for an appointment.

Yes, lets put pressure on vulnerable people we don't like!

Meanwhile on the other side of the planet it is pretty well understood that people want to see doctors of their own culture(so much so there is relaxed medical school entry rules for certain ethnicities) because getting people to go see a doctor is already harder than it should be, especially among those minorities. It is not about absolute access either, it is going at all because of trust/security issues and the like that are there whether you like it or not.

^^ that there is called inclusion. Punishing people you don't like is inherently exclusive. The person that came up with this idea will no doubt face the music at some point. Not sure if stupid or...

I am sure this will get the usual applause from the brain dead sheep this kind of nonsense always seems to attract.

But you go you! Fight the good fight
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I'd be curious to know how individuals with severe mental health problems and disabilities such as tourettes and dementia are going to be handled. It's easy to implement a zero tolerance policy against abuse and be applauded for it, yet it fails to address the nuances. It isn't an easy line of work to be in and abuse from individuals in full control of their faculties should not be tolerated.

Yet I'm concerned about those who cannot control themselves being treated with utter contempt and punished. Is there anything to suggest that such a thing has been factored in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'd be curious to know how individuals with severe mental health problems and disabilities such as tourettes and dementia are going to be handled. It's easy to implement a zero tolerance policy against abuse and be applauded for it, yet it fails to address the nuances. It isn't an easy line of work to be in and abuse from individuals in full control of their faculties should not be tolerated.

Yet I'm concerned about those who cannot control themselves being treated with utter contempt and punished. Is there anything to suggest that such a thing has been factored in?
    Not defending the system since it is retarded, but it says right in the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The abusive behaviour policy covers anyone with mental capacity...

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Original sauce.

Monday, 4 November 2019

North Bristol NHS Trust has today launched a “Red Card to Racism” campaign to protect all staff from any discrimination.

Following a national trend, staff have reported that incidents of racism on wards have increased over the past year so the hospital will be enforcing its zero tolerance policy against abusive behaviour.

This means that any patient abusing staff will be challenged and warned, leading to a sports-style disciplinary yellow card and then final red card in which treatment would be withdrawn as soon as is safe.

Any visitors causing disturbance or behaving in an unacceptable manner will get one verbal warning before being removed.

“We have staff from many different backgrounds, from all over the world, and we pride ourselves on our commitment to equality which is a fundamental value of the NHS.

“We’re sending a strong signal that any racism or discrimination is completely unacceptable – we want staff to challenge and report it and we want everyone to know that it will have consequences.”

• Excessive noise.
    • Malicious allegations.
    • Any cases will be reported on the trust’s incident management system and on patients’ individual notes.

Posters around the hospital and videos and photos on social media will inform staff that they are protected by the policy and encourage them to speak up if they witness or experience an incident of racism or discrimination.

The hospital will also be calling for staff to join its Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Network to champion the approach and to provide support to any affected staff.

“SARI is working with a number of hospital trusts regarding racist incidents towards staff and patients, and is pleased to be supporting a dedicated working group at NBT in enforcing the zero tolerance approach towards racism and hate crime.

“It is crucial that hospitals are safe, respectful and inclusive environments, and that all the hard-working employees’ feel fully supported when they face such abuse.

“It’s great to see NBT putting out the strongest message possible to the wider community about the abhorrence of any forms of discrimination against their staff or visitors.”

Those wimps in China merely stop you getting on flights and such if you have a bad score. Pfft - we here in the UK will be doing our best to kil- uhm, I mean send home as soon as safe to do so all the white supreeeeemists in our midst.
    Do you have to limber up before performing those sorts of mental gymnastics? This is a low-tolerence approach to people being abusive towards staff and it's a bit sad you have to stretch to these comparisons because you're outraged over people not being allowed to be racist towards the medical professionals giving them treatment.

Most institutions and organisations already respond like this - try getting service in a restaurant or boarding a plane while racially abusing the staff and I suspect you will be denied, it doesn't mean those businesses are operating a Chinese-style social-credit system.

Its literally just a system to report if you are being treated badly within a hospital. You are an idiot OP
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-11-05 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming - Be civil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alt-right misinformation, simply another day on mmo-c. Ignore and move on, all this is some sort of justification that racism is okay.

At best this thread should be used what the chinese social credit system is, if decided to keep open an obvious bait thread on that note don't get baited into calling other people racists or other insults as that's the intend of this thread to get others infracted. As the OP has no clue by drawing that comparison.

As someone who works in the NHS and is on multiple wards every day i can tell you from first hand experience that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

This should be across the board. When you get poorly do you go and see your Dr and act like a mature reasonable adult or do you give that person shit? I would think you act like a reasonable adult. I will not even get into the things i have seen and words i have heard said to Dr's and nurses of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Original sauce.

Monday, 4 November 2019

• Excessive noise.
    • Malicious allegations.

You are being flat-out disingenuous.

Nobody should be required to serve people who are being racist shitbags.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You are the one who is always championing the stifling of capitalism, freedom of speech, and freedom of expression.

That makes this comment rather ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You are the one who is always championing the stifling of capitalism, freedom of speech, and freedom of expression.

That makes this comment rather ironic.
    On the one hand it's nice they've found a book to point at that isn't 1984, on the other it's a bit odd they read Farenheit 451 and thought it must have happened through employee welfare standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    On the one hand it's nice they've found a book to point at that isn't 1984, on the other it's a bit odd they read Farenheit 451 and thought it must have happened through employee welfare standards.
    It really boggles my mind that they are trying to say that freedom of association s what causes fascism and authoritarianism.

It's weird when people who support fascism try and point fingers.

So...where's the scoring system? Does it work for the whole country? How do they crawl through your physical and digital footprint to build a profile for you?

Because this just seems like a pretty normal, routine, positive internal policy change to directly address instances of racism/harassment from patients against their staff and make it clear to patients this behavior isn't acceptable while making staff feel safe.

Or am I missing something and this isn't absurd hyperbole?

You will get thrown out of most places of business for those violations, if you do not heed the warnings of the staff, that you need to chill the fuck out. Be that place a store, a bar, a church or whatever. You making this into a slight toward white people is telling as fuck, considering those acts toward a white staff member would likewise elicit a similar response.

Also, likening this to the chinese social point system is pretty hilarious.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Teleros misrepresenting the facts? I'm shocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    You will get thrown out of most places of business for those violations, if you do not heed the warnings of the staff, that you need to chill the fuck out.
    But this isn't a business. Its publicly funded government run healthcare in a country where 'health' is considered a human right.

Pretty sure the law doesn't stipulate "you have a right to health; unless you're a racist asshole, in which case, fuck off and die..."

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So...where's the scoring system? Does it work for the whole country? How do they crawl through your physical and digital footprint to build a profile for you?

Because this just seems like a pretty normal, routine, positive internal policy change to directly address instances of racism/harassment from patients against their staff and make it clear to patients this behavior isn't acceptable while making staff feel safe.

Or am I missing something and this isn't absurd hyperbole?
    It leaves a hole that can be exploited to deny treatment...

All you have to do is claim someone did something racist to deny them treatment. Perfect world I don't see a problem with it.

In the real world I can't see how this won't be abused. It feels weird that I have to explain to people why denying medical treatment is a bad thing..