Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why not just make WoW 2.0 at this point?

If they're squishing the levels and making old zones useless, why not just make an entirely new 2.0 version of the game at this point? I get that Classic is there for nostalgia so there's no reason to leave old useless areas when we could have an all new game from top to bottom.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that they should make a new, separate WoW II, with classic as wow 1.0, and retail as wow 1.1, many people will still play without new content since the game is huge

but the task is probably bigger than we could think of, it basically needs a warcraft 4 for new lore, real new quality lore and create characters superior to arthas, without making it redundant

they could use a new graphic engine, maybe similar to diablo 4 but in free 3d and with more color and more details

it worked for everquest...I think they're afraid that people lose interest, they need to attract new generations which are playing fortnite for it to be worth it

Making a WoW 2 is a looooooooot more work than just adjusting numbers, which is essentially what a stat/level squish is. And you don't have a guarantee that a lot of people will even swap over to the new game. MMOs have a high risk of flopping and have high development costs. Why go for a new WOW when you can keep the current one going for a lot less money?

Hey guys all the work you did last 15 years,we gonna throw it all away and we will restart it.

Old zones are already useless and WoW 2.0 is a huge risk for them. They still make money from this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    all it takes is a very very wealthy wow lover investor that is willing to absorb the risk and the many years of work from elite artists
    expect 100 millions dollars of investment or something. in a few decades maybe a future trillionaire of our generation would totally be willing to do it. high risk high reward but entertainment is a thing nowadays unlike for current day billionaire of another age

Quote Originally Posted by MoltenIceCream View Post
    Hey guys all the work you did last 15 years,we gonna throw it all away and we will restart it.
    look at classic, people play the 2, proofs that it works well as a synergy. many people who play classic and retail probably won't switch ever. but many will switch also. and it's to attract a new audience.

because WoW 2.0 is not a good idea.

Yeah they'll just put a dollar in the vending machine at the office and WoW 2 will fall out, why didn't any of us think of this??
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    If they're squishing the levels and making old zones useless, why not just make an entirely new 2.0 version of the game at this point? I get that Classic is there for nostalgia so there's no reason to leave old useless areas when we could have an all new game from top to bottom.
    Because redesigning another mmo would be a bitch when they can just make small changes to the current version.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Making games costs money. Making expansions costs less money.
    Taking away everyone's achievements/collections and other progress in general is a good way to alienate your audience.
    Don't fix what's not broken, etc.

They're already on thin ice thats cracking when it comes to lore. They have nothing left in the tank to build an entirely new game upon based on the Warcraft universe.

A new WoW would have been to have been announced 3-4 years ago at the latest. Its far too late for that now. If we ever saw one, it wouldn't be for at least 10 years, probably much longer, before enough new lore is generated.

Warcraft is likely that game you'll see pop up in the news as a full VR MMORPG in 20-25 years time as the "spiritual successor to the supremely popular World of Warcraft". These developers have to beat that dead horse one last time before they let expired IPs die.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2019-11-07 at 04:16 PM.

One word: EQ2

That's why not.

too risky. a lot of people stay with wow because of sunk cost. wow2 would give a lot of people the option to make a clean break, even if it was wow2 in the overwatch2 style.

and that's before you even look at the financials and opportunity costs.

WoW 2.0 would mean I quit, not because I expect it to suck but more that "my WoW" would be over and I have no intention in dwelling this deep into a game ever again. I will play WoW as long as it's getting expansions but when it goes, I go! ... and there are dozens of us, DOZENS!

I feel like they might actually be working on WoW 2 or a REALLY big expansion after SL. BfA was meh, and Shadowlands barely has any features and they had nothing to show from either of their "main features" and it's supposed to come out next year..

Overwatch barely got any updates other than heroes for a while and we got Overwatch 2 and it explains the content drought

7+ Year Old Account
    We are already playing WoW 2. Check how different retail is to Classic.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

People don't get that this will NEVER happen.

A separate game splits the user community.

There is nothing that they would want to do in a WOW II that can't be done in WOW I. Replace the engine, redo anything you like, add in anything you like.

Name one thing that would require a II total game replacement. There aren't any.

Maybe instead of WoW 2.0... they should make something like World of Starcraft 1.0 or World of Overwatch 1.0... just something new instead of stretching out an already very thinly stretched story line.

3+ Year Old Account
    You're already playing WoW 2 and you don't know it. Many games in this world have a sequel that has less difference between its predecessor than retail has with the previous versions of the game. I know what you mean, you want something completely new and everything, but at the end of the day that's pretty much it.

The reason why there's not a real WoW 2 is because enough people still pay for this game, making a new engine, making all new assets and stuff just to end up with a game that has less content and risk not being as big a success as WoW is could be a giant loss. They know that to 1up this game they have to go fucking all out and make the base game so gigantic that by today's standard it's almost impossible to create without losing money, specially in a slowly dying MMO market.

The expected reward is not worth the calculated risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MoltenIceCream View Post
    This is a big one: A Total reset of everything - starting again at the beginning of a totally different MMO (a new warcraft mmo would be a new MMO in the same way that FFXI and FFXIV are both MMOs set in the Final Fantasy universe - but not "linked"). Who's to say that everyone who plays wow would want to stop and start playing a new warcraft MMO? Even if many would - that would mean spending a whole ton of cash to keep servers going for WoW Classic, WoW Retail and Warcraft New Gen MMO.

The only time this might be worth it to them would be if the numbers on wow got so low they had to start moving over. However imo they still would not do this as I cant see blizzard making a new mmo - they are more into microtransaction games these days.