Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Anyone getting a little bored with Sylvanas?

This isn’t a hate thread, but with her power creep over the last expansion I’ve slowly lost interest in her as a character. It’s not just the fact that she defeated Saurfang in seconds, then defeated the Lich King and his army without losing a sweat. It’s her attitude that she’s also always two steps ahead, she’s playing chess at a higher level then anyone. We’re not capable of knowing her motives. I don’t want to say it, but it feels a bit fanfic and this is from someone who loves the Warcraft story.

I also think it’ll come across really cheap if they try and swing some sort of redemption or vindication for her mass murderous actions.

That’s just my thoughts after BFA and now seeing the Shadowlands cinematic, anyone else feeling frustrated?

A little? No, not really. A huge fuckton? For sure. And that's coming from someone who liked her a lot, all the way since W3 to about mid-Legion/BfA. But the way they're making her to be literally the most powerful character in history of WoW, completely invincible...yeah, boring.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I don't hate her character but I'm ready for her to go. I hope this is her last expansion and I kinda hope they Gul'dan her and have her go early. They've spent way too much time on her character. People bitched about Thrall in Cataclysm but they have focused on her for 3 expansions now. There are other characters. They made this big deal out of Anduin in Legion and then he's barely done anything since. I get that Jaina is a important character but the BFA cinematic made you think it would be Anduin's expansion and it just wasn't. It was Jaina, Sylvanas and Saurfang's. But mostly Sylvanas.

But I'm glad that she is no longer Horde. So at least we can't say Blizzard has Horde bias. Now both factions are getting screwed over by her hogging the spotlight.
    Last edited by CreatureLives; 2019-11-02 at 02:21 AM.

Given that she's done nothing but fail in BFA except in a nebulous plan that makes her the servant of some guy who's presence was only ever alluded to in stray bits of BFA, I'm going to say both yes and no. Yes, because she's spent the last two years as a crappy plot device. No, because with actual focus on her character as more than a prop to push the worst expansion story thus far she might actually be decent. Not going to count on it though.

@CreatureLives

Sylvanas barely did anything in BFA except twirl her mustache and, with the exception of Teldrassil, engage in things completely tangential to what her plan turned out to be. She was dwarfed in screen time by Saurfang and Jaina and had likely less in total than Baine.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

It's amazing how blind Blizzard is to how tired people are of Sylvanas at this point. The amount of people I've seen commenting about how they were so pumped for Icecrown / Lich King in a cinematic only to immediately have that hope snuffed out at the very moment Sylvanas began narrating is overwhelmingly abundant

She creates a lot of nerdrage so no, I think she's awesome. I hope she one shots Jaina next.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Given that she's done nothing but fail in BFA except in a nebulous plan that makes her the servant of some guy who's presence was only ever alluded to in stray bits of BFA, I'm going to say both yes and no. Yes, because she's spent the last two years as a crappy plot device. No, because with actual focus on her character as more than a prop to push the worst expansion story thus far she might actually be decent. Not going to count on it though.

@CreatureLives

Sylvanas barely did anything in BFA except twirl her mustache and, with the exception of Teldrassil, engage in things completely tangential to what her plan turned out to be. She was dwarfed in screen time by Saurfang and Jaina and had likely less in total than Baine.
    It’s also the aura that even with some of her failures, everything was still a success for her secret plans we can’t possibly understand. She didn’t care about the faction war, she wanted death and N’zoth released. In the loyalist ending she’s pretty much admitted she had it all figured out, to me it just comes across as annoyingly written character, like you say, twirling her moustache.

Love her, way more bored with plain Jane Jaina

Quote Originally Posted by Razaron View Post
    It’s also the aura that even with some of her failures, everything was still a success for her secret plans we can’t possibly understand. She didn’t care about the faction war, she wanted death and N’zoth released. In the loyalist ending she’s pretty much admitted she had it all figured out, to me it just comes across as annoyingly written character, like you say, twirling her moustache.
    Oh, she's a godawful antagonist, no doubt about that. We're now two expansions into a story that her action (Teldrassil) started, and we're nowhere closer to understanding not just when she adopted her present motive and who her boss is, but what that motive is. She has no interiority that's actually canon and recent, and seems to simultaneously fail at every turn at everything she does and yet still be told she's winning, denying both people who like her and people who don't any satisfaction in her storyline. I loathe many other parts of the cast far more than her by an order of magnitude, so I haven't given up on her yet, in terms of (returning to) being halfway interesting. But that'll require character focus and that's exactly what many people justifiably don't want to have, because even with next to no focus she still dominated all discussion and was a soundly frustrating presence.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Ever since I found out that one of the lead writers has a body pillow of her and wrote himself into the story as Nathanos I lost interest.

It also doesn't help that the only people I know who support her either want to fuck her or like her because she makes other fans angry, I haven't concluded which is more sad. : /
    Mighty one, never forget.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wonder who's the next character that is going to be killed just to prove how Teenager Bait is super duper strong and independent
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Am I bored with her in the context of BfA?
    Yep.

Can I be bored with her in the context of Shadowlands? No, duh, because I don't know where the story takes her yet.
    And I'm not a Negative Nancy, I'll experience something before deciding whether I like it or not. So my mind's open as to what story comes.

She needs to die and never return to the story

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting? No, she wore out her welcome for me back in cata....

10+ Year Old Account
    "Getting?"

I was bored with Sylvanas the moment Blizzard shifted the end of the Worgen starting zone expansion to be forsaken-only. Then I was done with her when she died for the... third... time and it became clear that nothing she ever personally did would have consequence for her character because it was clear that she could either call upon her deus-ex-machina Val'kyr to save her in a pinch or the "utterly undefeatable" blight to get her out of any situation.

She's an edgelord's wet dream; nothing more. She has no tact beyond whatever's the edgiest and most sardonic thing to do and say at the time. She's girded in "neener neener, I win" powers that she can just whip out of nowhere at a moment's notice to turn the tide of any battle in her favor.

So yeah, she's boring at the best of times and extremely annoying as an antagonist, either winning by way of some twist of writing or losing whilst shaking her fist and going "NEXT TIME GADGET!" and learning nothing from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Wonder who's the next character that is going to be killed just to prove how Teenager Bait is super duper strong and independent
    If they hadn't already killed off Tirion, it'd be him. 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Yep.

Can I be bored with her in the context of Shadowlands? No, duh, because I don't know where the story takes her yet.
    And I'm not a Negative Nancy, I'll experience something before deciding whether I like it or not. So my mind's open as to what story comes.
    I'm interested in her role in Shadowlands just to see if she justly gets her bitch-ass get slapped around. I have no real hopes for her doing or becoming anything more than the exact same boring one-note character she's been since... forever.

Basically, I'm interested in everything in Shadowlands except for her.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-11-02 at 02:46 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

She the bestest 12 year old boys wetdream ever, what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Yep.

I’m really looking forward to the expansion, it’s just Sylvanas’s character that I’m tired of. Was pumped to see Bolvar getting some airtime but he pretty much just got thrown to the wolves as soon as he appeared.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've hated Sylvanas since bc. She consumes all undead/blood elf lore and a lot of the horde lore. It was really obvious that she would grow into some OP character that's just everywhere like cancer.

Sylvanas is the coalescence of blizzards current shitty writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    Ever since I found out that one of the lead writers has a body pillow of her and wrote himself into the story as Nathanos I lost interest.

It also doesn't help that the only people I know who support her either want to fuck her or like her because she makes other fans angry, I haven't concluded which is more sad. : /
    I think the people that seem to get legit angry over what's basically a saturday morning cartoon villain are the saddest. Sure she's one dimensional and silly but what WoW character isnt at this point? People act like shes the one thing standing in the way of the story being a masterpiece when it's been a total goof fest since Cata.