Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    blizzard never did ptw contents in their game, i dont see any hint they will do it for d4
    it will only be cosmetic , like skins, mount, pets etc..

if blizzard would go for a ptw situation, they would do it with WoW already

peoples panic on everything since a few years, jesus christ ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Why would anyone be surprised? This question was asked at Blizzcon and the answer they gave, didn't even answer the question at all. It was just some bullshit non-conclusive answer about "different playstyles for different players" or something like that.

They were directly asked if D4 would have microtransactions, and gave a vague non-answer. That alone was confirmation that yes, there would be microtransactions.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody is "defending microtransactions", we're saying that it's just cosmetic items so it's not that bad.
    You just defended it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    That's more like "downplaying the rage", MTX is always portrayed more seriously than it really is.
    Every game is probably better without MTX (more stuff to unlock by playing), but not every game with MTX is shit and it's not bad for every game and it's future (even if full priced).

You could argue for example that the amount of skins would be significantly lower without MTX than it is with MTX.
    There are only "so many" cosmetics you can put in your game at release or are willing to support, everything else would require "extra work" you won't get because there is no benefit for them to do so.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-11-09 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Hm lets see, position 1, a game which is completly free and only make smoney trough said microtransactions and position 2, a game which you ha dto buy and also have to buy the addons
    Now lets put them together and maybe, just maybe even you are able to see the problem here...
    To be fair, PoE kind of skimps on storage solutions baseline to where you'll need to buy storage tabs and the currency/map/etc. tabs. Even if you don't get them all, you're dumping quite a bit of money into getting workable stash space (especially if you do a lot of trading). You could easily spend $70 - $100 on storage solutions alone depending upon how much space you need and how much you farm at a time, even with sales. When we get into cosmetics pricing, you're ranging from spending roughly $10 to $65 per individual item. I have a friend that I play PoE with who spent $650 on just one full cosmetic set with matching portals effects, and to most people that's a ton of money to spend on a "free" game.

If you compare that to Blizzard games any storage solutions that you need are pretty much achievable without having to spend money on microtransactions. The expanded baseline bag in WoW was related to having an autheticator (but that's free now) with bags being in-game currency and D3's storage is expanded via completing content and spending in-game currency. When it comes to vanity items and other cosmetic products in their in-game shops, they're way cheaper than what PoE is offering, but that's to be expected since it's PoE's only source of income. As an example of what you get from Blizz typically, think of all the in-game items you get when purchasing a BlizzCon ticket... and with that same amount of money you can't even buy a large portion of the PoE cosmetic individual items.

Simple version is this: you cannot directly compare PoE with Blizzard and potentially D4 when it comes to microtransactions and profit models, as it's an apple to oranges comparison. PoE skimps on quality of life to make players want to spend money on microtransactions on a free game while Blizz has an initial purchase amount with lower cost vanity microtransactions. If D4 has us making microtransactions to expand storage space and have tidy currency/key/etc. storage tabs on top of having a baseline cost, then people might have an argument... but as of right now, there's no argument to be had as there's nothing to indicate an issue yet.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2019-11-09 at 08:13 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Darklurker View Post
    https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status...02103212802049

So on top of the paid game and expansions, there will be microtransactions. Shame, my excitement had almost made it through one entire week.
    lol you had other expectations? of course it will have micro transactions, it's blizzard
    the moment they announced the game will have mounts i already imagined the blizz store full

Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    Anyone else concerned they added mounts just for another things to sell MTX for? From a gameplay standpoint, it seems like an odd inclusion.
    Given the size of the maps we've seen and the size of the world map that hints at, mounts actually make a LOT of sense. That's not to say that mounts as a cosmetic draw (and thus MTX) isn't ALSO a reason, but I'd say it's a little too far-fetched to suggests they were added as "just another thing to sell MTX for". Even given D3's fairly small map sizes and decent monster densities, I still find myself wishing I had a mount for something like bounties. I expect that to only be more desirable in an even larger, even more open world.

And with this focus on a dark and gritty artstyle, is it going to be a problem with MTX armor and public zones/towns? People want to look cool, fancy glowing armor, flaming wings, etc. Are they going to reign in the design team to make armor that looks like it belongs in a Diablo game, or are they going to try to make as much money as possible and create a variety of armor, including flashier options that wouldn't have been considered for in-game obtainable designs.
    Has this ever been a problem in Diablo? Even D2 had fancy armor effects like glows or even full-body transformations. You can still make cool shit that's within the chosen aesthetic, and with a more robust engine (as D4 seems to have) you can make even better-looking armor. I doubt they'll do outright cartoonish stuff like the Horadric Hamburger, but imaginations can run wild even if it's a dark and gritty world.

And I wouldn't hold out hope for many additional classes down the line, because of all the class specific affixes, they're going to need to design an entire games worth of gear everytime they want to add another character. And does it make sense doing that? Or working on another dungeon for people to run, armor set or mount to sell, etc.
    It's been that way before. D2 added two classes, as did D3. Both added vast amounts of items with them. Why should this suddenly be a problem? It's not like the item system seems hugely class-specific so far - in fact, we've barely seen any class-specific itemization so far.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    It still comes down to what you're willing to spend your money on. If you don't like how a game is offered...don't buy it.
    You build your own company, you can offer the things *you* want. Till then, you can either buy it, or decline to do so.
    That's what I always have done and will continuing doing. I'm voicing my opinion about the thread topic at hand

As far as what other people spend or don't spend, that's not your affair. If someone wants to buy everything in the store, then, that's the market talking. If someone else won't give Blizzard a penny, that's their affair as well.
    Blizzard including mtx does impact how the game is made so that's kind of all our business
    Bunch of people trying to tell other people how to spend their own hard-earned money. Stay out of it, and take care of your own stuff.
    Well I never attacked anyone for how they spend their money.. I pointed out how you and a few other people don't seem to understand the difference between D4 and PoE monetization and why Blizzard takes their greed to new levels
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

10+ Year Old Account
    Since is cosmetic i have no problems with it at all.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    CDPR begs to differ. It is *A* model.

Also, just because something is the norm doesn't mean it's good or should be supported. Slavery was the standard business model for quite some time as I recall...

Also, just because someone doesn't also complain about WoW MTX in a D4 thread doesn't mean them complaining about MTX in D4 is "fake".

If the station decreased the quality of fuel and then sold sodas, chips, and beer that somehow increased the quality of the fuel, your comparison would be valid.
    Really, your argument is to compare a video game business practice to slavery? And btw, cosmetic items do not improve the quality of a game.

look at poe

the in game armor looks absolute shit

the store armor looks amazing

this will suck for d4 if you actually play the game nothing that you can earn will look cool and make you standout because it will be cheapened by microtransactions.

cosmetics only? like path of exile? if that means the game will be updated and expanded with (good) seasons and patches, im ok with it

Thats fine. As long as you can't buy power.
    Pets, wings and some flags does not bother me one bit.

Might as well play Path of Exile. It's got MTXs, but it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Really, your argument is to compare a video game business practice to slavery? And btw, cosmetic items do not improve the quality of a game.
    I think you know exactly what my argument is. The scale differs obviously, but you know that. It certainly proves the argument against "existing business practices should be supported simply because they already exist" moot. As that is what my goal, yes - that's my argument. I could have used something else for comparison, but I chose to go with something pretty much everyone knew about, understood, and agreed was bad.

As to cosmetic items not improving game quality, I disagree (though I'd say enjoyment as a subset of quality to make it more clear). I, and many other people (you can tell by the responses here as well as the fact that people are paying for these services), enjoy the quality of the look of things in our games - including, if not especially, our characters.

Let's take another extreme comparison - as it helps make the point clear. If I'm playing a game of WoW, but all the textures and polygon meshes in the game are of the same quality as classic - and that's all I could get - people could obviously enjoy that. However, if you then make high quality textures and high poly meshes available for purchase only... maybe it's shallow... but that would affect my enjoyment of the game. Perhaps a better example would be if all your gear looked like starting zone gear for the entire game, but all the cool looking stuff (currently available in raids/high-end pvp/etc.) had to be purchased. Again, you may think it shallow - or it may not be important to you - but that would affect my (and apparently others here) enjoyment of the game. As enjoyment is the goal of most games, I think it valid to say that a quality game provides enjoyment. Thus if cosmetics affect enjoyment, they affect quality.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

Nobody is "defending microtransactions", we're saying that it's just cosmetic items so it's not that bad.
    well first of all the game is not f2p initially, so having MTX is already weird. Maybe MTX will be the reason why they'll keep updating the game unlike d3, but maybe instead it'll be an excuse to not update anything, cuz why make new content if we can keep making money selling some cosmetic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    That's just like a piece of shit on a cake. Damn, why? Unless the "entry fee" for the game isn't just 10 or 20 bucks there is no reason to put micro-transactions in it
    I fucking love how stupid people are about these things. "no reason"? How about making more money? Why wouldn't they do that, when the items are completely optional?

If the game makes money post launch, that means Blizzard is more likely to keep it updated (since more players = more players who buy stuff = more money). It's a win-win for both sides, is everyone complaining just too stupid to understand that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Might as well play Path of Exile. It's got MTXs, but it's free.
    But it has crappy, clunky gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    look at poe

the in game armor looks absolute shit

the store armor looks amazing

this will suck for d4 if you actually play the game nothing that you can earn will look cool and make you standout because it will be cheapened by microtransactions.
    Meh, I just redownload it to check this out. Nothing stands out on the store to me as good looking. The game is hideous to look at IMO, all the store armor gives you is glowy effects.

As expected. In my eyes, cosmetic matters though and the argument "it's cosmetic only" falls short as many care for the way the character looks in what is shaping to become mostly a multiplayer game with solo option for dungeons.

Bli$$ and other multiplayer games gamemakers are well aware of that. And the fact that D4 will have a much higher emphasis on meeting other players in the world, with worldbosses, in town for trades etc (with no offline mode on top of that) just make "look badass" even more sellable / important.

Not to be super cynical, but my guess is that the no offline mode and push to multiplayer content / interaction was here just to push ingame shop. This was based upon the success of WoW ingame shop and the fact that the main competitor (PoE) also has microtransactions. The mistake here is that PoE is FtP. But as always, actiblizz know they can push their fans a little further and will get you to pay for the game, pay the for expansions and pay for cosmetics.
    XP potions etc would create a backlash so i doubt they will go that far as they need to get back goodwill from fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I fucking love how stupid people are about these things. "no reason"? How about making more money? Why wouldn't they do that, when the items are completely optional?

If the game makes money post launch, that means Blizzard is more likely to keep it updated (since more players = more players who buy stuff = more money). It's a win-win for both sides, is everyone complaining just too stupid to understand that?
    I think so. Too many are attached to the old days and think that it's all greed. Well yes, in a way, but without funds there is no support. So if D4 can prove it has a halfway decent way of generating revenue post launch, it's more than likely we will get substantial support for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    "defending it" would be saying it's good, retard

Infracted
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2019-11-09 at 07:43 PM.