Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    0_0

If the erasure of "european heritage" is all it takes for people to stop thinking fantasy races are equitable representations of non-white people, then it cant come soon enough.
    The anger these high suspect "arguments" have is almost more entertaining than 8.2. Guess I should just be happy being represented by a race that's been historically evil and destroyed their own planet! Because you know, Black people = Orcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    are there any legitimate arguments against adding black and asian human options to Warcraft?
    Blackface. The argument is pretty much the same as that against blackface, with the added problems of how people behave online.

Player A might create Sambo, a black character, just because they remember the old children's story, but he'll offend a bunch of people even though he didn't intend to.

Player B might be a well meaning Chinese guy, but go on to commit horrible cultural stereotypes based on how he sees black people.

Player C could just be a flat out racist who plays up stereotypes to push his own agenda.

All of those things probably happen anyway, but making real world race options more clear in the game isn't likely to go well.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

So who else is going to make an Asian character named bliyzchung

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    decided to stroll though some comics for the "doesn't fit the lore" people. there is a clear black guy and then Althea Ebonlocke who is more then likely Asian but didn't have the model to back it up.

then there's Lorna Crowley who is more questionable but she looks rather distinct.

Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-11-09 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    All of those things probably happen anyway, but making real world race options more clear in the game isn't likely to go well.
    Valid reason but laughably has no real weight in the comparison of what good it will be for the game. Hell people are racist in plenty of other games with far more character creation depth than WoW will ever have but they don't remove black/asian features because of a few Mongoloids
    FWIW orcs > humans. Humans are elves are literally the worst fantasy races

But yeah fantasy as a genre seems to not even try distance itself from the racism which fueled it and is still represented in fantasy races.
    Not to mention how orcs are commonly used as an allegory for black people in fantasy settings far too often anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    decided to stroll though some comics for the "doesn't fit the lore" people. there is a clear black guy and a more then likely Asian girl in the older comics.

[IMG]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qWGr0Nu8_as/VuDEnIelpeI/AAAAAAAABC4/cXrkX2aEPRE/s1600-Ic42/RCO020.jpg[/IG]
    [IMG]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/CGhf7BXLKaAx77pecXa2PdOg1K1TOB_cRbN3VuYgjKS8dvBSLbMMUwnmC_g7p3Ei2-0w7pWkdDy3=s1600[/IG]

then there's Lorna Crowley who is more questionable as shes in game but she looks rather distinct.

[IMG]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/lkwrTOWnYTWaaQa6V7POy1lpTuub0DlwxkW_YeNlZy5dYsZVc0vE7GRD7tPOSNO17qaQvDLRxWh3=s1600[/IG]
    OH NO LOGIC AND REASON
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    People argue that it's against lore.
    Is it though? Are there black people in the lore? Because I genuinely can't think of a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Personally no, I like to have an asian character in an MMO and other games, I blasted through Mass Effect Andromeda as an stocky asian dude with a goatee, tough as nails dude, loved it.

I did not even pay attention to this but a guildy went on a weird rant about it, after a while of chatting I figured it out that he was not being racist at all, he was raising the question of where were they this entire time IN the WoW universe, I just laughed and said the Southseas, but he has a little point about it, it was argued they were awlays there, just the game did not portay it, so the question was were any lore characters actually black or asian but where not shown as such before now.

Ofc all current lore characters will remain as they are and they will drip in some new race/face option charcters in the future as we move forward.

But overall its a bit odd from an hmm not sure on the words here, environmentally raised genetic difference perspective.
    Woo Ping. SW weapon trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    You're intentionally bullshitting but even if we go with that, then just come out and say humans magically come out of their parents with completely random features and colors. We both know that's a ridiculous notion on earth or azeroth but we can keep pretending it isn't I guess.
    You think I'm trolling, but that just goes to show how utterly dense you are.

Also, speak for yourself, asshole. I absolutely disagree that that is a ridiculous notion. In a world that is pretty much devoid of infants, teenagers, and geriatrics, where all humans have the exact same body type, I'm not at all going to think twice about two pale Azerothian humans having a dark skinned Azerothian child.

To put it simply: it's all magic, anything goes, I don't need ANYTHING in Azeroth explained in real world terms because it's completely irrelevant

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Is it though? Are there black people in the lore? Because I genuinely can't think of a single one.
    it's not there are some in the older comics and the newer traveler books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    are there any legitimate arguments against adding black and asian human options to Warcraft?
    The only people whining about this are insecure white people who want to play games filled with other white people. So let them bitch, cry, flail or unsub. Nothing of value would be lost.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Multitorix Davlen View Post
    darkskin yes, but its more to it than 'just' the skin color. Hair texture and facial features "should" theoretically be different than what we have.

also to the op, why are you against it? There should be little to no reason to be against different customization unless racism.
    OMG! Black/Asian culture is not your video game!!!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    asian doesnt make any sense and pandas were the asian race anyway
    you kind of have a point
    I mean, wouldn't stripping asians of their "culture" and aesthetics associated with their race- which happened already because of... pandas- be kinda offensive?
    If I were asian I wouldn't be too happy about it, I think.

Yes there are. Do they make sense or should we listen to them? Nah.
    he asked if any were legitimate. that would mean you should answer "no", because a legitimate answer would make sense, not be nonsensical.

i would like them to explain where asian-looking humans come from in wow. ultimately, just saying "the curse of flesh did it" is more than enough for both black and asian, but i would still like for it to be stated.

also, i've never understood the desire to be represented in a fictional setting. i don't even grasp the concept of "representation" to be honest, i've never felt it what-so-ever to the point that i just can't comprehend why anyone would feel this way. i can play games where humans don't even exist, and i still don't feel like i've been excluded or whatever you feel. it's a fantasy, it's meant to be something different. i don't self-insert as the characters i play, i empathize with and think and act as the character would.

i think more people should think this way. focus less on wanting to be represented, and focus more on the world and story you're experiencing, the character you're playing.

Would love to play an asian elf myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    decided to stroll though some comics for the "doesn't fit the lore" people. there is a clear black guy and then Althea Ebonlocke who is more then likely Asian but didn't have the model to back it up.

[IMG]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qWGr0Nu8_as/VuDEnIelpeI/AAAAAAAABC4/cXrkX2aEPRE/s1600-Ic42/RCO020.jpg[IMG]
    [IMG]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/CGhf7BXLKaAx77pecXa2PdOg1K1TOB_cRbN3VuYgjKS8dvBSLbMMUwnmC_g7p3Ei2-0w7pWkdDy3=s1600/IMG]

then there's Lorna Crowley who is more questionable but she looks rather distinct.

[IMG]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/lkwrTOWnYTWaaQa6V7POy1lpTuub0DlwxkW_YeNlZy5dYsZVc0vE7GRD7tPOSNO17qaQvDLRxWh3=s1600[IMG]
    lorna looks italian or spanish.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've made arguments against the whole idea of character color customization. It's stupid, we don't ever see our faces in game, it's a fucking fantasy game and let's not forget the unfortunate reality that some will use these to be even more racist in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    The only people whining about this are insecure white people who want to play games filled with other white people. So let them bitch, cry, flail or unsub. Nothing of value would be lost.
    Its WoW we are talking about if you forgot.
    We deal with talking cows, rotten corpses and weird wolfs on daily basis.
    I don't see how black or yellow human would make it any worse, lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    lorna looks italian or spanish.
    that's what i was thinking to.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    he asked if any were legitimate. that would mean you should answer "no", because a legitimate answer would make sense, not be nonsensical.

i would like them to explain where asian-looking humans come from in wow. ultimately, just saying "the curse of flesh did it" is more than enough for both black and asian, but i would still like for it to be stated.

also, i've never understood the desire to be represented in a fictional setting. i don't even grasp the concept of "representation" to be honest, i've never felt it what-so-ever to the point that i just can't comprehend why anyone would feel this way. i can play games where humans don't even exist, and i still don't feel like i've been excluded or whatever you feel. it's a fantasy, it's meant to be something different. i don't self-insert as the characters i play, i empathize with and think and act as the character would.

i think more people should think this way. focus less on wanting to be represented, and focus more on the world and story you're experiencing, the character you're playing.
    Because its nice to see someone who's like you be in whatever media you're enjoying?

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Would love to play an asian elf myself.
    I always wanted to play a black asian ginger, so far been able to be just black and ginger, but with coming "asian" face it gotta be perfect <3
    gonna name him Thrall.
    Last edited by FAILoZOFF; 2019-11-09 at 04:19 AM.