Requesting Ele Shaman DPS Help

am starting to play ele shaman in mythic raiding for the first time since MoP. I am struggling with my damage and feel that part of it may be basic issues with my rotation.

Is someone willing to help look through my logs and give pointers on what I am doing wrong? I am xanzqt-kel'thuzad (us). Here are my logs from this week.

Quote Originally Posted by langning View Post
    am starting to play ele shaman in mythic raiding for the first time since MoP. I am struggling with my damage and feel that part of it may be basic issues with my rotation.

Is someone willing to help look through my logs and give pointers on what I am doing wrong? I am xanzqt-kel'thuzad (us). Here are my logs from this week.

I would say your Azerite seems slightly less than optimal, namely resonance, and your tier 2 are a bit down the dps list. I'm also assuming you are using the alchemist stone for better self healing, but if not the only other positive to that trinket is the guaranteed socket, but I doubt that is really offering value over a better trinket with a better main stat and trinket effect.

Other than that, rotation seems right with small hiccups here and there but im assuming that's movement based.

I thought I was using pretty good azerite traits with the gear I have. I have 200k titam residium right now and could try to swap out my shoulder piece... Is there a shoulder piece from the M+ vendor that you would recommend over what I use now?

I am going to try and be more aware of movement. I think I am also not making good use of icyfury buffs.

As far as the alchemist trinket, I'm using it since it's the only one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by langning View Post
    I thought I was using pretty good azerite traits with the gear I have. I have 200k titam residium right now and could try to swap out my shoulder piece... Is there a shoulder piece from the M+ vendor that you would recommend over what I use now?

I am going to try and be more aware of movement. I think I am also not making good use of icyfury buffs.

As far as the alchemist trinket, I'm using it since it's the only one I have.
    Azerite and trinkets are in a bit of an unfortunate place right now. Some offer massive dps increases vs others and it's literally at no fault of the user. Nothing changes your rotation, just one is absurdly powerful. To give you an idea, and forgive me if I get your ilvl wrong it's been a couple of days, but your alchemy trinket offers about equal to (socket and secondary scaling) but most likely less dps than an ilvl 400 compendium of storms you can buy from the AH for 2000g.

Hop on bloodmallet.com for a quick down and dirty on what is performing the best, and then head over to raid bots for simming. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but it's the meta, properly geared you'll get more dps out of less ilvl. Bloodmallet also has azerite gear simmed for a quick look to see what items line up with the vendor that you can gamble for.

I'm not to keen on icefury, my understanding is to use it for movement, in ST situations you are supposed to frost shock with master of ele up, but ice fury can be cast whenever, it's not particularly hard hitting so buffing it with LB seems pointless, what's important is the frost buff. But ultimately frost shock is way down the list of priority so frost isn't getting immediately used afterwards if more important abilities are up.

I'm not 100% on icefury usage, hopefully someone else can point in the right direction if I'm off.

https://wowanalyzer.com/

This site can show you some of your mistakes, etc. Just upload the log of the fight you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaan View Post
    https://wowanalyzer.com/

This site can show you some of your mistakes, etc. Just upload the log of the fight you want.
    This is what I used to do when I was still raiding in WoW. Definitely a great tool and really helps you realize where you are maybe no playing your best. For Ele Shaman it'll track your uptime on buffs, DoTs, etc and let you know if you're not using them optimally.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Mate.. Am i seeing correctly, that you dont use benthicc? And your Azeritepieces are actually quite good (except the shoulders, but they arent too shit either)
    your DPS should be considerably higher, that is true. i mean, you have like the same gear as i do and the damage is completely different. Using all 4 benthics would make a good portion of that difference. Another thing is, you casted icefury 7 times, which translates to 28 buffed frostshocks. but you casted 47 frostshocks - why? you ideally never want to cast frostshock outside of icefury - with the exception of having to move, which literally never exists if you know all the fights and arent cucked by mechanics big time.

Last: Holy Shit, on your Sivarra Kill the RNG Gods blessed you with 57.7% crit on ES. can i haz taht?

Gearing

Proper gearing is a huge part of this game. I did a quick sim to compare your gear to my own (I had some links but mmo-champ won't let me post them :/) and there is an 8000 dps difference. Think about the difference 8000 more dps would make on your parses. Suddenly Ashvane and Sivara are 50k dps parses. Issues:

- No Benthic Gear

- You could swap your Alchemist Trinket for the Highborne Compendium of Storms for ~ 200 dps. This also drops your versatility farther (which is already your top stat weight) so you could swap your gems to vers gems for an even higher dps increase.

There is also an issue with your second minor essence. I see you are using lifeblood and getting ~60% uptime for 1 stack (Sivara). Some quick math (252 int / stack) * ( 1 stack) * ( .6 uptime) * (2.69 dps / int) = ~ 406 dps. You could see a 1k dps+ increase just by switching to Conflict and Strife. If you don't have Conflict and Strife rank 3 go with Focused Energy rank 3 for a similar increase.

All this is pre-raid prep that you can do to increase your dps without changing any of your game-play.

General Game-play Advice

I give out this advice to any new Ele shaman: Ignore Mastery of the Elements procs and using Icefury on cool-down.

The difference between completely ignoring Mastery of the Elements and micro-managing it to get full effectiveness is only about 1% extra damage. The difference is so small that the amount of extra concentration you have to put into it will most likely end up costing you more dps than what you could gain.

Icefury should be used as a filler ability. Concentrate on using Stormkeeper on cool-down, not over-capping your maelstrom, and using all of your Lava Burst charges. Only use Icefury when you can't use any of these other abilities. Also, don't worry about using every single charge of the empowered frost shock. A Lava Burst will do more damage than an empowered frost shock, so there will be times where you get too many Lava Burst procs in that Icefury window and you will have to let a charge of empowered frost shock expire.

Your Game-play

There are a few issues that I see looking through your logs that you could be doing better at:

Frost Shock usage. This is probably your biggest problem. On every fight you use Frost Shock way too much, you should try to only use it with Icefury or when moving and you don't have other instant casts up. Either this is a problem with spell priority, or positioning issues. Try to preposition yourself by moving when you have instant casts available. You actually cast Frost Shock more than Lava Burst on Radiance of Azshara.

Multi-dot when possible. This is mostly an issue with Behemoth. You can Flame Shock the alive puffer fish and it will increase your damage to Behemoth through getting more Lava Burst procs.

Looking through Wowanalyzer, you do a great job of ABC (always be casting) and you use your cool-downs on cool-down. So it looks like you have the fundamentals of playing a caster down pretty well. It does show that you pretty frequently refresh flame shock before the pandemic window. This is rather minor, but you could probably get a few extra globals throughout the length of the fight by just waiting an extra second or 2 to refresh your flame shock.

Another minor thing, you can pre-cast earth elemental before the pull by un-targeting the boss when you cast it. This gives you an extra global during the fight for other spells.

TL/DR:

Your biggest issues are gear/essences and Frost Shock usage. Fix these and your dps will go up significantly.