Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Yea I predicted this. A Vega 56 with 2.7 Ghz CPU won't do 1080p very well, let alone 4k.

I call them corporate trolls. They're in nearly every forum. Someone has to convince people that less is more.

I think in most comparisons it's actually worse than a Xbox One X. At this point I only trust Gamers Nexus review of this, and I'm looking forward to their image quality comparison of Stadia.
    Just found out that Destiny 2 is only able to run MEDIUM settings. At 1080p. My roommate's computer, which is an old Dell with an i5-3000 something, that has been upgraded to 20GB of RAM and a 1050ti, and cost a total of between $300-$400, is able to run it on high/60fps at 1080p with ZERO issues. Probably shouldn't even say what my i7-6700k/32GB DDR4/1080ti can do to it.

And RDR2 is only able to run 30fps. At lower settings than the XB1X. Which doesn't (and can't) run actual 4k, it has to fake it with upscaling (like all of the consoles do). My computer can absolutely destroy that game at 60fps (granted I haven't tried 4k because I don't have a 4k monitor).
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2019-11-28 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    That's not how google works.

Google is not going to put some grand effort into saving this, they will kill it off as they always do all of their failed projects.
    I think they've already put a lot of effort into it, even though they are releasing a product which needs a year or more to mature into something which the product should be. Perhaps they're afraid that the a new PS/Xbox will take all the money next year or two, and needed to establish themselves in the market, who knows? At any rate, a lot of Google products are more or less experiments that are perhaps not a huge cost, have only a few users, is not marketed and won't be missed. I think Stadia is a huge investment, and they've marketed it more than anything I've seen from Google ever, so this doesn't seem like a random fun project coughed up by one of their teams on a company retreat. Of course, unless they can improve the experience, people won't bite, and it will be abandoned within a few years.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I think they've already put a lot of effort into it, even though they are releasing a product which needs a year or more to mature into something which the product should be. Perhaps they're afraid that the a new PS/Xbox will take all the money next year or two, and needed to establish themselves in the market, who knows? At any rate, a lot of Google products are more or less experiments that are perhaps not a huge cost, have only a few users, is not marketed and won't be missed. I think Stadia is a huge investment, and they've marketed it more than anything I've seen from Google ever, so this doesn't seem like a random fun project coughed up by one of their teams on a company retreat. Of course, unless they can improve the experience, people won't bite, and it will be abandoned within a few years.
    They haven't marketed it at all. If you're not a core gamer you don't even know it exists lmao. Core gamers have 0 interest in this shit and would rather have local hardware by and large, their only hope was always the casuals and the casuals don't even know it's a thing or exists.

If their goal was to compete with MS/Sony they did a really poor job of that, there is literally no main stream marketing for the product at all. Meanwhile Sony/MS dominate marketing muscle with commercials out the ass during the holiday season as per usual.

Hell it's already a flop for that matter. Schreier literally called it a "monumental flop" and that was on the day of release before all the reviews hammered it for how shitty it actually was so not like it has good word of mouth going for it either lol.

It's dead Jim. It never lived Jim. It's not coming back Jim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they've already put a lot of effort into it, even though they are releasing a product which needs a year or more to mature into something which the product should be.
    I think they need to put real effort into this to even remotely make it feasible. Firstly, they need to have dedicated video encoding hardware because I believe they're using whatever is on the Vega 56 GPU's they have. Those aren't built for low latency video encoding. Secondly, they need to supply hardware dedicated for video decoding as the ChromeCast Ultra wasn't meant to handle Stadia. Thirdly, if the hardware is sitting in Google's data centers then they need a lot more locations to reduce latency. Fourthly, they need to upgrade their hardware because a 2.7Ghz Intel CPU won't cut it, no matter how many cores it has.

As far as I can tell, it seems Google just took existing technology and just slapped their Stadia logo and called it a day. No real effort was put into this.
    Perhaps they're afraid that the a new PS/Xbox will take all the money next year or two, and needed to establish themselves in the market, who knows?
    I think they were afraid of the backlash consumers would have for paying a monthly fee for games. So to reduce the cost of setting up this service, Google took a lot of shorcuts to get this going, while also dropping the cost of running it. The same hardware that can be used for playing games will also be used by Google for other work loads, so nothing goes to waste, but it also means the hardware wasn't dedicated for gaming either.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Just found out that Destiny 2 is only able to run MEDIUM settings. At 1080p. My roommate's computer, which is an old Dell with an i5-3000 something, that has been upgraded to 20GB of RAM and a 1050ti, and cost a total of between $300-$400, is able to run it on high/60fps at 1080p with ZERO issues. Probably shouldn't even say what my i7-6700k/32GB DDR4/1080ti can do to it.

And RDR2 is only able to run 30fps. At lower settings than the XB1X. Which doesn't (and can't) run actual 4k, it has to fake it with upscaling (like all of the consoles do). My computer can absolutely destroy that game at 60fps (granted I haven't tried 4k because I don't have a 4k monitor).
    Remember due to being cloud based the limit isn't just what their hardware can produce but also internet bandwidth. Streaming raw 4k 60fps just isn't feasible.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Stadia is the great example why you should never-ever preorder anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Remember due to being cloud based the limit isn't just what their hardware can produce but also internet bandwidth. Streaming raw 4k 60fps just isn't feasible.
    I don't really know how big raw image files are, but assuming they're just the pure input with no look-up-table or anything to explain, we're looking at ~25mega bytes per frame for 4k (8 294 400 pixels, 3 bytes per pixel), 60 times a second, we're looking at ~1.5gigabytes a second for just the video if you want fully raw, uncompressed video

So they'd need to dedicate ~12gigabit of upload per user, and you'd need the same download.
    That's in comparison to the what, 40megabit they ask for now?

I might be entirely wrong, but even if we cut the amount of data by an order of magnitude, you're still looking at more than a gigabit per second of data

They haven't marketed it at all. If you're not a core gamer you don't even know it exists lmao. Core gamers have 0 interest in this shit and would rather have local hardware by and large, their only hope was always the casuals and the casuals don't even know it's a thing or exists.
    Really? Because I see ads for it every time my adblock doesn't catch it. I don't know what kind of exposure the casual gamer has gotten, but I've seen articles about Stadia in local newspapers here, whereas the Xbox and PS equivalent are services I had not heard of before someone started comparing them in a Stadia review. I agree competitive gamers and those who only play at one location has no use for it. They probably have a good setup, and don't appreciate the mobility, and other benefits, compared to increased lag, reduced image quality and FPS.

Hell it's already a flop for that matter. Schreier literally called it a "monumental flop" and that was on the day of release before all the reviews hammered it for how shitty it actually was so not like it has good word of mouth going for it either lol.

It's dead Jim. It never lived Jim. It's not coming back Jim.
    I don't know why they would expect millions of people to pay 130 bucks for a product that seems too good to be true (and was), but I guess they needed unrealistic goals to get a go for the project, and hoped for a miracle? Hard to say, but the product has a lot to prove, and seems more like a service that would grow over time.

The thing about the tech reviews is that they vary a lot, and most of the "Stadia is shit, and deserves to die" are more concerned about the business model than about how well the technology works, especially the fact that the games you buy cannot (currently) be downloaded or give you token for the same game through steam etc. And if their audience are hardcore gamers, what benefit could they get from buying an "old" game at full price on a platform they don't enjoy playing on? Obviously it's not meant for them.

Most people mean that Stadia is premature, while some mean that game streaming is evil and/or shitty as a concept. Nothing can be done with the latter, but given time, Stadia (or competitors) can evolve into something beautiful. I don't think we should declare it dead already. Let's see what they manage to do with it through 2020.
    Mother pus bucket!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every overnight success was preceded by a 1000 overnight failures. You can dismiss Stadia - but Google is a monstrous corporation, and cloud gaming is the thing - almost everything else is already cloud: music, movies, data storage. Dropbox anyone? Even operating systems are going there. You can code apps using your browser and build them in the cloud.

Now VR, it's going nowhere right now. Too expensive to get mass-market (it costs like a PC and you need an expensive PC to enjoy it). But with cloud gaming... this is the gaming revolution in the making - stream to VR. It's coming. Cyberpunk is coming.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I run d2 at 1440p ultra settings 110% res at 130-144 fps, beat that stadia
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Every overnight success was preceded by a 1000 overnight failures. You can dismiss Stadia - but Google is a monstrous corporation, and cloud gaming is the thing - almost everything else is already cloud: music, movies, data storage. Dropbox anyone? Even operating systems are going there. You can code apps using your browser and build them in the cloud.
    But none of those things you listed require low latency. Who cares if it takes a second for your music, or movies to stop playing? Or if your files take a couple seconds to start downloading?

But if your game has bad input latency, even just 100ms, people will flip their shit. It might happen on casual games, or ones that don't require the player to be in control of a character, so something like Starcraft or Hearthstone, but it probably won't happen in anything else. Input latency will just be too bad. Unless of course you can find a way to eliminate it. Which Google can't. Because it's not possible with current tech.

Really? Because I see ads for it every time my adblock doesn't catch it.
    Sorry but some anecdotal bs like "I saw an internet ad" or "my local newspaper reported on it" isn't reality. The reality is there is an Xbox or Playstation ad during every ad break for any sporting event on TV. The reality is there are massive billboards in big cities for both Xbox and Playstation. The reality is stadia hasn't been advertised at all outside of actual gaming outlets which casuals don't read or browse and have no idea the thing exists in the first place.

If you think something is being "marketed hard" cause you saw a damn internet ad which are 1) Cheap as fuck to put up and 2) cheap as fuck to put up because no one pays attention to them anyways well... lol.

And don't even get me started on Elim Garak who thinks google is gonna make the 60 point comeback in the 4th quarter lmao...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-11-28 at 05:24 PM.

Sorry but some anecdotal bs like "I saw an internet ad" or "my local newspaper reported on it" isn't reality. The reality is there is an Xbox or Playstation ad during every ad break for any sporting event on TV. The reality is there are massive billboards in big cities for both Xbox and Playstation. The reality is stadia hasn't been advertised at all outside of actual gaming outlets which casuals don't read or browse and have no idea the thing exists in the first place.

If you think something is being "marketed hard" cause you saw a damn internet ad which are 1) Cheap as fuck to put up and 2) cheap as fuck to put up because no one pays attention to them anyways well... lol.

And don't even get me started on Elim Garak who thinks google is gonna make the 60 point comeback in the 4th quarter lmao...
    1. I didn't say that there is no marketing for PS Xbox as consoles, I was referring to the game streaming services.
    2. Games are mainly advertised here, not the gaming hardware.
    3. Disproving my anecdotal bs using your own is not very effective.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But none of those things you listed require low latency. Who cares if it takes a second for your music, or movies to stop playing? Or if your files take a couple seconds to start downloading?

But if your game has bad input latency, even just 100ms, people will flip their shit.
    I played streamed games using OnLive almost 10 years ago. I wasn't flipping my shit. I played an action game. Lag was manageable.
    Have you played a streamed game at all? I don't give a fuck about reviewers who need the traffic to earn ad money by using shocking titles and drama. I have personal experience with streamed games.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I tried OnLive, it had the same input lag issues stadia does. Try again.
    Did I say it didn't? Or did I say it was manageable? Try again.

1. I didn't say that there is no marketing for PS Xbox as consoles, I was referring to the game streaming services.
    No, what you said was Stadia has great marketing. It has no tangible marketing at all. It's marketing is limited to online ads and a few articles or basically the same as say Shenmue 3 or Cold Steel 3 2 niche as fuck games that recently came out. Or in other words, it's marketing is complete shit compared to the big boys.

2. Games are mainly advertised here, not the gaming hardware.
    Every "game advertised" is tied to a marketing agreement with either MS or Sony and flashes an Xbox or PS console as well as logo in said ad. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

3. Disproving my anecdotal bs using your own is not very effective.
    It's not anecdotal at all, watching the thanksgiving NFL games and so far been either an Xbox or PS4 ad during every break. How many stadia ads? Oh yea, 0. You think that's just my market? Well sorry to be the bad news sunshine but as I watch the games online local ads get blocked out by "ad in progress" screen and only the national ads are shown so...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't give a fuck about reviewers who need the traffic to earn ad money by using shocking titles and drama. I have personal experience with streamed games.
    Oh yea, they're only negative to try and get clicks so what about when they're positive genius?

- - - Updated - - -

Did I say it didn't? Or did I say it was manageable? Try again.
    Onlive became PSNow. Feel free to go beat Demon's Souls on PSNow and tell me how enjoyable of an experience it is. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yea, they're only negative to try and get clicks so what about when they're positive genius?
    What about them? Do they use shocking titles and drama too?

Onlive became PSNow. Feel free to go beat Demon's Souls on PSNow and tell me how enjoyable of an experience it is. lol.
    I was talking about my OnLive experience, not PSNow.

In games like Demon's Souls, devs can add a special streaming mode that increases the reaction window to compensate for input lag. The real problem in such games is not input lag itself - it's when it leads to failure. If it doesn't - it will be manageable. Especially for people who wouldn't have a chance to play the game otherwise because they have no PC or Console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    “Manageable” in a few games maybe, but not in anything hectic. When I hit jump and can literally set down the controller before the command executes it’s a worthless product.
    I played Batman Arkham, it's quite hectic. I don't really appreciate meaningless exaggerations. If you can put down the controller while waiting for input lag - it's not a normal situation even in the context of streamed gaming.

What about them? Do they use shocking titles and drama too?
    Dunno you tell me, you seem to be the expert on why "reviewers are full of shit" so lets hear it.

Or... it could be stadia is just trash? Cause you know everyone can't be wrong just because ohmygosh I Elim Garak had a so-so experiance with Onlive once!

I was talking about my OnLive experience, not PSNow.
    Sony literally bought OnLive and turned it into PSNow. Your OnLive experience is at best the exact same as PSNow, or even much worse depending on how much Sony have improved the service since then.

At least it will work flawlessly for turn based games
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

15+ Year Old Account
    Look at wow classic now, no way I'll play all my games with this ridiculous batching