Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If there was a 12 foot drop behind the freezer like someone said I could see it. The coolers pouring warm air down the drop would help dry out the body and trap some of the smell in the pit. Theres a lot of other smells in the back of stores to mix with it too.

The worst are bodies that are wet like ones dredged from a river, or wrapped in something.

Dead bodies only smell when they get digested by bacteria.
    In a low humidity area (for example a ACd room) the body will mummify, simply drying out with very little sweet-like smell for a few days. Bodies will also hardly smell when it gets digested by enough insects, for example when dying with an open window in the right season.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    There is a gap to allow the coolers to vent. Unless someone can correct me, they would be blowing warm air onto the body. The smell should have been putrid, and made 1/2 the store unbearable.
    Apparently it didn't do that. The gap was more for overheating that cooling, probably per OSHA or whatever. I imagine there must have been a good breeze or something that prevented the body from petrifying. It was winter when he died, it's possible it mummified in the cold and stayed cool enough during the summer not to thaw (although summer in Iowa...).

Weird though. 10 fucking years - holy shit. I would be there is some mental illness as well, given the guy (25 at the time?) ran out of his parents house without shoes/socks/jacket/keys in the winter. Not that mental illness matters here. Sad story overall.

So, I was talking to a few people about this, the theory we all have is he was on drugs, he most likely got them from someone at this store. He was most likely confronted there after hours, maybe he owed money maybe he wanted more drugs who knows. Fight breaks out he is killed it the store, put in a box, and put in the back of the meat freezer for 7 years. On closing day, he was simply thrown behind the freezer. 3 years later, a decayed corpse is found. Something like that has to be the answer. There is simply no way a body can decay 6 feet from peoples nose and not be noticed
    Articles mention no signs of foul play, and there are pics of the body, the is more than enough left to determine how he died.

Honestly from the picture you can tell he was in an incredibly small space, he likely passed out before or after falling in and asphyxiated.

He may have had some drug problem or mental illness. Accidental deaths are 6 times more likely and if you remove gun violence from that, accidental deaths are 20x more likely. Its doubtful this is a grand conspiracy by some guys who work on a shoprite.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2019-11-21 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Articles mention no signs of foul play, and there are pics of the body, the is more than enough left to determine how he died.

Honestly from the picture you can tell he was in an incredibly small space, he likely passed out before or after falling in and asphyxiated.

He may have had some drug problem or mental illness. Accidental deaths are 6 times more likely and if you remove gun violence from that, accidental deaths are 20x more likely. Its doubtful this is a grand conspiracy by some guys who work on a shoprite.
    If he were strangled then frozen THEN layed there for 3 years (time store was closed until time found) could they tell? There is no amount of ventilation that would make a dead body not stink.

If he were strangled then frozen THEN layed there for 3 years (time store was closed until time found) could they tell? There is no amount of ventilation that would make a dead body not stink.
    Strangulation tends to leave a lot of damage, to skin and to the neck, so yes most likely.
    If it's fairly dry bodies don't stink as bad, and from all the articles, I cant actually tell where exactly this body was found. They say he fell about 12 feet, and I'd have to assume the area may be inaccessible without moving a cooler. So I'm assuming we are talking about a cooler on the floor which also has stuff stored on top. It's probably up on a concrete platform because those coolers aren't 12 foot tall and I think he fell into "a well" which is basically a the area between raised concrete platforms that have electrical wiring run through them. Its plenty believable that it wouldn't smell or the lesser smell just wouldn't be detected.

Regardless if it was in the back storage area, that area isn't very trafficked either.