Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Be that as it may. Blizzard has merged servers before. In vanilla I believe they merged Burning blade-EU with *some other server*.
    No they didn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Who the hell expected faction balance to be a thing in Classic?

You're extremely lucky if you're close to 50/50.

If there are any balanced servers, reroll if it bothers you that much. No one with any common sense expected balanced servers.

Are there any servers in Europe where Horde don't dominate a PVP server?
    https://ironforge.pro/servers/

Disclaimer: Obviously not official numbers
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post

I can say for sure that Shazzrah is not that much Horde dominant. It is impossible to lvl as a Horde right now. We are getting ganked in every +50 zone by big groups of ally's
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Server merges don't happen in retail and you want that in classic? Unless you add phasing or layering and cross-realm merge (with two realms up just that people have -Realmname affix) like in retail. Which u dont.
    S.H.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You hear that? That's the steady drum beat in the deep that brought us Auto-LFG and Sharding.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Merging requires you to lose your name and destroys the history of the merged realm. It is definitely not the same thing.
    Semantics. Effectively, theyre merged.

This reads like a hyperbolic Bellular youtube video title.

Blizzard gets COMPLETELY DESTROYED by single TWEET. What will they DO?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Semantics. Effectively, theyre merged.
    The destruction of an entire realm's history is hardly semantics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    No they didn't.
    For the record, I was curious where this misconception came from so I did a bit of digging. I found this in the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110315...after-mergers/

...which seems to indicate that at some point in TBC Blizzard did merge battlegroups (not realms) in the EU which caused some issues. They also closed 4 realms but it seems that had to do with the Russian localization of WoW more than anything else.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2019-11-22 at 12:46 AM.

The destruction of an entire realm's history is hardly semantics.
    You erroneously set that the benchmark. For all intents and purposes, servers are currently merged on retail.

You erroneously set that the benchmark. For all intents and purposes, servers are currently merged on retail.
    The benchmark I set is the one Blizzard themselves used when discussing Connected Realms:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Connected Realms also allow us to link populations in a way that’s not disruptive to players, and that doesn’t negatively impact players’ sense of identity and character. Other alternatives such as merging realms would require us to force character name changes if there were conflicts, and could lead to confusion for returning players who’d log in to find their realm missing from the realm list. Some players also feel strong ties to their realm’s name or history, and we don’t want to erase that.
    I would hardly call that erroneous. But what do I know? I'm the one being semantic, right?

The benchmark I set is the one Blizzard themselves used when discussing Connected Realms:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Connected Realms also allow us to link populations in a way that’s not disruptive to players, and that doesn’t negatively impact players’ sense of identity and character. Other alternatives such as merging realms would require us to force character name changes if there were conflicts, and could lead to confusion for returning players who’d log in to find their realm missing from the realm list. Some players also feel strong ties to their realm’s name or history, and we don’t want to erase that.
    I would hardly call that erroneous. But what do I know? I'm the one being semantic, right?
    Yeh you are being semantic lol. Just because they called it something else to save peoples feelings doesnt change anything. Effectively realms are merged.

Yeh you are being semantic lol. Just because they called it something else to save peoples feelings doesnt change anything. Effectively realms are merged.
    They didn't call it something else to "save people's feelings." It's called something else because it's literally something else. Jesus dude, if you won't even accept Blizzard themselves as a source I don't even know what to say.

Its ok, i can confirm that you are absolutely wrong, that other guy is completely right.

Put in faction specific queues, allow overpopulated faction to transfer to realm where they aren't dominant. Seems simple enough.

They didn't call it something else to "save people's feelings." It's called something else because it's literally something else. Jesus dude, if you won't even accept Blizzard themselves as a source I don't even know what to say.
    Connect and merge are literally synonymous. If thats not the definition of semantic, idk what is.

If I take two ends of a chain and connect them together, are there still two chains, or have they merged into one? If the first chain is red and the second chain is blue, and I connect them together, youd still have one merged chain with two different colors.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2019-11-22 at 06:47 AM.

Connect and merge are literally synonymous. If thats not the definition of semantic, idk what is.

If I take two ends of a chain and connect them together, are there still 2 chains, or have they merged into one?
    Bruh.

I'm not arguing the literal definition of the word connected. I'm pointing out -- per Blizzard's (you know, the people who created Connected Realms) own distinction -- that Connected Realms are a fundamentally different idea than realm mergers.

The fact that you've forced me to literally play semantics to defend an accusation that I'm being semantic is a level of irony I rarely see around here.

Cheers.

Bruh.

I'm not arguing the literal definition of the word connected. I'm pointing out -- per Blizzard's (you know, the people who created Connected Realms) own distinction -- that Connected Realms are a fundamentally different idea than realm mergers.

The fact that you've forced me to literally play semantics to defend an accusation that I'm being semantic is a level of irony I rarely see around here.

Cheers.
    Are you kidding? They mean the same thing. Your evidence is evidence that youre nitpicking the word merge.

Mergers never happened on retail
    Do you think that Whole Foods merging with Amazon means Whole Foods is going to lose its identity and be renamed Amazon?
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2019-11-22 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Perhaps they didnt, I might be misremembering things. Which ever the case, they got the tech to do it now, so why wouldnt they improve the game for everyone and do it? Do you have any actual good well founded reasons for why they wouldnt other than "Stop blaming Blizzard for your own inaction." ?

Accepting a bad situation as a fact of life when you have the tools to remedy it is just foolish.
    Do you have any other reason for wanting server merges outside of crying that you're being farmed by the opposite faction? PvP = life, deal with the cards your dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    While not really comparable, a TBC private server tried this, and it failed.
    genuinely curious, in what way did it fail?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post

Thanks, it's accurate enough to get a rough idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I can say for sure that Shazzrah is not that much Horde dominant. It is impossible to lvl as a Horde right now. We are getting ganked in every +50 zone by big groups of ally's
    Shazzrah forums say otherwise. Just because Alliance roam around in raid groups making it hard for pre 60s to level doesn't mean anything. Horde dominate world pvp overall on that server.

You have 71 horde guilds that have cleared MC to 41 Alliance guilds on warcraft logs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    genuinely curious, in what way did it fail?
    Well people complained, and would rather not play at all than wait in a queue while Alliance got in instantly. You can't force people to play a faction they don't want to. It was removed since Horde players were quitting instead of either queuing or rerolling alliance.

I did say it wasn't comparable, as we have other servers to choose from. But, who wants to move to a lesser populated realm? Gotta be careful when server transferring.