Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I have two tanks (one 428, one 414) and two observations

1) People are desperate for you all the time (the tanks get their keystones groups filled within seconds. The 414 one, it left me dumbstruck, got a couple of times people with 430, 440 even ievel showing off sometimes, which never occurred for the main and the healer)

2)While trivially difficult levelling, the difficulty of tanking spike immensely in ''serious'' content

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    This has always been the case prior to Raid Finder. This is the reason Raid Finder was created in the first place. Not everyone has several hours to waste on searching for tanks. Raid Finder made this process trivial.
    Despite the fact that I love pre-Cataclysm WoW the most, it had this problem and it was huge.
    Disagree a bit. I think making feral and prot paladins viable (and giving them to the horde) did more to fix the tank shortage than raid finder. BC had a much better tank situation than classic does. I think original vanilla had the same problem too, but I didn't do end game enough back then to comment.

I leveled to 60 and played about six weeks after that. I cleared MC every week and didn't get any drops, the one I did win got ninja'd by the guild I was originally raiding with to go to the gm's friend. I was a guy that joined and was outside of the core group. So afterwards joined another group, and I just never got anything that did drop, but it was done fairly.

I was only able to find a tank to do a couple of dungeons, and in those, I got maybe two drops. The only way to find a tank is to pay someone to do it for you.

And I don't want to even get started on the honor system as a pvp end game.

Anyway, due to these facts I'm not really playing classic anymore. I'm waiting for BC.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Or, your logic of.

"If i use every buff, and everyone else plays like shit compared to how they should be playing with an actual tank, i can make my meme spec work in MC, with double the gear required"

Special snowflake syndrome is mega strong i see.

- - - Updated - - -

Group finder, Raid finder has nothing to do with lack of tanks.
    Are you saying a tank should not be buff capped?
    Everyone playing like shit? I'll be ultra charitable and say in the first/2nd week of a raid being released, perhaps you'll need fury warriors and ONLY fury warriors slow down a little by not min-max queue cancelling, crit manipulating, etc... We are literally talking about a handful of guilds in the entire world where this is applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Equoowe View Post
    You can 2h tank in defensive stance, nothing stops you from using it...
    Yes, but :
    not to mention you are doing so much more damage even in the other stances you often don't need the extra threat of defensive stance.
    My point is that those cases where you don't need it are only when you're outgearing the other dps or they're bad (or holding up).

- - - Updated - - -

This has always been the case prior to Raid Finder. This is the reason Raid Finder was created in the first place. Not everyone has several hours to waste on searching for tanks. Raid Finder made this process trivial.
    Despite the fact that I love pre-Cataclysm WoW the most, it had this problem and it was huge.
    You quote a guy explaining that the problem is worse on retail, to argue that the finder tools fixed the problem ?

Is this a serious question? think about it for two seconds.
    No, me and every warrior on my server are apparently not leet enough to understand this so please share your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    Are you saying a tank should not be buff capped?
    Everyone playing like shit? I'll be ultra charitable and say in the first/2nd week of a raid being released, perhaps you'll need fury warriors and ONLY fury warriors slow down a little by not min-max queue cancelling, crit manipulating, etc... We are literally talking about a handful of guilds in the entire world where this is applicable.
    I am not saying your shaman isnt applicable, all i am saying is you are limited by game design and from things that can simply not exist in a proper raiding environment.

A higher level skillset from both sides, doesnt require anyone waiting for anything etc etc, you get the drift.

You arent supposed to have every buff 24/7, and your DPS arent required to wait around for your spec to "work".

Maybe i am biased but i dont remember, in my 15 years of tanking in WoW, telling anyone to wait for threat, maybe the first month aka February 2005, as a feral druid but asa warrior, since May 2005, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I am not saying your shaman isnt applicable, all i am saying is you are limited by game design and from things that can simply not exist in a proper raiding environment.

A higher level skillset from both sides, doesnt require anyone waiting for anything etc etc, you get the drift.

You arent supposed to have every buff 24/7, and your DPS arent required to wait around for your spec to "work".

Maybe i am biased but i dont remember, in my 15 years of tanking in WoW, telling anyone to wait for threat, maybe the first month aka February 2005, as a feral druid but asa warrior, since May 2005, ever.
    Game design 15 years ago should not be a crux or define of what you can do today. The amount of knowledge accrued over the years enables some truly amazing things. Idk, what does "every buff mean", a shaman tank just like any tank is usually fully buffed when class progging and slowly can afford forgoing max buffs as the raid encounters are more approachable over time.

Cool me too, I haven't ever told dps to slow down either.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Yes, but :

My point is that those cases where you don't need it are only when you're outgearing the other dps or they're bad (or holding up).
    You are a dps warrior getting fed rage, doing enough damage to hold aggro shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    No, me and every warrior on my server are apparently not leet enough to understand this so please share your knowledge.
    I can now see how people might struggle with the concept of 2h tanking when they don't seem to understand you can use most of your spells in defensive stance, seems like pushing buttons is only for the elite.

You are a dps warrior getting fed rage, doing enough damage to hold aggro shouldn't be an issue.
    Aaaaand we're right back at my initial point :

If you're outdpsing the others guys on single-target while facing the mob, then you're either significantly more geared than them or they're holding back a lot (or they're shit).

Aaaaand we're right back at my initial point :

If you're outdpsing the others guys on single-target while facing the mob, then you're either significantly more geared than them or they're holding back a lot (or they're shit).
    Warriors getting fed rage do a lot of damage, you also don't need to out dps them to hold aggro.

I can now see how people might struggle with the concept of 2h tanking when they don't seem to understand you can use most of your spells in defensive stance, seems like pushing buttons is only for the elite.
    Still waiting for you to share how you do it, maybe it's something I can share to the next non-elite warrior that I group with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Still waiting for you to share how you do it, maybe it's something I can share to the next non-elite warrior that I group with.
    You can still cleave,heroic strike and bloodthirst or mortal strike in defensive stance, you also change stance at any time, I know it's pretty hard to understand.

Yes, but :

- - - Updated - - -

You quote a guy explaining that the problem is worse on retail, to argue that the finder tools fixed the problem ?
    Read the quote once more.

Read the quote once more.
    I did, and I don't see how it is not relevant to what I said.

Yeah because it's so boring

Quote Originally Posted by MrHorner View Post
    Because they're really insecure.
    Paragraphing some user, when unsecured people have to choose between 2 products, they will make sure to assign most negative feelings to the other, so they will know they made the right choice.
    That literally describes both sides. I've barely seen a Classic related thread on this forum where Classic fanboys don't take the slightest chance to shit on retail for any reason that might cross their mind.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

I personally have taken a step back from PuG tanking atm. I'm 46, and get asked to tank ZF a lot. Which I don't mind, but people are getting very mad that I don't do "Speed run" tactics.

Tanking is a thankless task in Classic. Braindead DPS do not understand that it isn't like the "live" game where tanks use their generic aoe ability and the mobs are glued to them. So the rogue goes in with blade flurry on the pull and wonders why he has agrro, or the mage uses blizzard as soon as possible.

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyuna View Post
    Tanking is a thankless task in Classic. Braindead DPS do not understand that it isn't like the "live" game where tanks use their generic aoe ability and the mobs are glued to them. So the rogue goes in with blade flurry on the pull and wonders why he has agrro, or the mage uses blizzard as soon as possible.

No thanks.
    or other warriors using whirlwind, then because everyone is basically nuking everything to try to get through it as fast as possible, you as a tank then likely have to try to generate more threat by using more damage gear, which then makes you harder to heal and in the end the entire run is being carried by the healer who is working over time to keep everyone alive. i don't think the point of the game is to make it as difficult as possible for the healers. all this talk of fury tanking, it only works if your healer can actually keep you alive. but all these unconventional methods makes all the shit roll down hill to the healer. just end up making it harder or more random for them.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-12-07 at 02:49 PM.

You can still cleave,heroic strike and bloodthirst or mortal strike in defensive stance, you also change stance at any time, I know it's pretty hard to understand.
    Seems hard to understand for most warriors, coming from the perspective of a healer.

I mean, any idiot or pet can keep 1 or 2 targets occupied, but as soon as you have 3 or more mobs it seems like the biggest challenge in the world for every warrior Ive played with.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-12-07 at 05:08 PM.