Question Best Money Making Method?

I only ask because there is so much controversy in this subject! I am the Main Lvl 44 Orc Hunter with the silly question yesterday, so hopefully y'all expect it by now

I have LW to accompany Skinning as a hunter and I also heard Skinning was supposed to be good money... boy did someone lie to me lmao
    Last edited by DrBangSmack; 2019-12-06 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Typos and lack of Skinning

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBangSmack View Post
    I only ask because there is so much controversy in this subject! I am the Main Lvl 44 Orc Hunter with the silly question yesterday, so hopefully y'all expect it by now

I have LW to accompany Skinning as a hunter and I also heard Skinning was supposed to be good money... boy did someone lie to me lmao
    For now, your best bet is to sell decent greens on the AH. If you aren't interested in First Aid, you can also sell your cloth on the AH as well.

Once you are 60, Skinning may be more lucrative as you will beable to skin for things that level capped people will need.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    For now, your best bet is to sell decent greens on the AH. If you aren't interested in First Aid, you can also sell your cloth on the AH as well.

Once you are 60, Skinning may be more lucrative as you will beable to skin for things that level capped people will need.
    Skinning has fallen off pretty hard unless you're skinning raid mats. Most people who would be buying Devilsaur shit have already bought it or replaced it.

You're far better off with Herb/Min if you really want to push for money from farming. Herbalism is going to pop off once BWL comes out and more people are looking to flask up (and it won't slow down either with AQ and Naxx requiring more consumables), and mining is always lucrative if you're able to hit rich thoriums. If you want to do one gathering and one crafting I'd recommend Herb/Alch but only if you're willing to farm the flask recipes.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2019-12-06 at 06:41 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Step 1. Get a high paying job.
    -
    Step 2. Pay people IRL money for Gold
    -
    Step 3. Make sure to trade with people you know and trust
    -
    Step 4. ???
    -
    Step 5. Profit
    -

Time is money friend.

Skinning while leveling was never about making "good gold" it was about gaining more passive gold from every beast/skinnable mob you find, it's not meant for AH, you're supposed to vendor it all or craft gear that has higher vendor prices than the raw leather.

Dunno, back then I simply bought 10k gold or so in the internet and profited.

Making gold was really near to impossible unless you were lucky enough to find random boe purples on random world mobs (found something like 1-2 in 15 years and not in Vanilla).

Good to know, so Skinning is good towards end game! And I do first aid, however, I am stuck at 225. Where do I learn Aritsan for Horde?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Skinning has fallen off pretty hard unless you're skinning raid mats. Most people who would be buying Devilsaur shit have already bought it or replaced it.

You're far better off with Herb/Min if you really want to push for money from farming. Herbalism is going to pop off once BWL comes out and more people are looking to flask up (and it won't slow down either with AQ and Naxx requiring more consumables), and mining is always lucrative if you're able to hit rich thoriums. If you want to do one gathering and one crafting I'd recommend Herb/Alch but only if you're willing to farm the flask recipes.

This is very, very helpful. I appreciate your answer so much!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    Step 1. Get a high paying job.
    -
    Step 2. Pay people IRL money for Gold
    -
    Step 3. Make sure to trade with people you know and trust
    -
    Step 4. ???
    -
    Step 5. Profit
    -

Time is money friend.
    Where do I find this "high paying job?" lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Skinning while leveling was never about making "good gold" it was about gaining more passive gold from every beast/skinnable mob you find, it's not meant for AH, you're supposed to vendor it all or craft gear that has higher vendor prices than the raw leather.
    That's about what I'm gathering

Devilsaur leather is old and busted; every LWer went tribal and the hardcores have long since passed the devilsaur stage.

On our server at least, blacks dragonscale armor is selling really well! DPS warriors and even tanks use it to fill in fire resist, and the bonuses are pretty decent for a newly raiding hunter (+1 hit, +2 crit, ap and fire resist).

In terms of $ making, if you're not able to solo grind instances like mages/pallies/hunters, you can farm mobs in the open world:

- elementals in silithus
    - water elementals in EPL
    - undead in WPL / EPL (good for Argent Dawn rep)
    - Timbermay in felwood (less optimal) or winterspring (optimal)

Humanoids drop runecloth that always sells, pots (mana/health), occasional greens and even recipes. I can reliably make ~20g/hr minimum grinding AD or Timbermaw rep.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there are many controversies on the subject.

Most guides you will see will recommend that you take 1 or 2 gathering professions, empty your bags and go farm some mobs. Mobs will drop stuff including grey, greens, and if you are lucky you can get a lucky blue or epic item.

There are many places you can actually farm. The satyr's in Felwood are a good example, they drop runecloth, which you can either sell at AH or if you are a tailor you can craft some green items and vendor it. They drop felcloth which sells for 2-3g at AH each, and they can drop random stuff as well, including potions. Farming them will probably net you 35-40g/hour.

Animals tend to drop grey items more often that have a decent value, and if you have skinning as well, you can also vendor trash the leather (or again, craft some green items and vendor it if you are leatherworking). Places like EPL is quite good for that as well. This will also net you about the same amount of gold/hour.

Essences (of water, earth, air) are also valuable, and you can farm mobs for them too, like in Sillithus.

If you have mining or herbing, you gather these along the way which will net you a little extra. Some of the high level herbs sells for 5-6g a stack.

Anyways, you get the idea. Grinding mobs is probably the most reliable, consistent way of making money. Find your spot and make sure you don't have too much competition.

Playing the AH may work for some people, but I found that unless you really find a niche, it is very difficult to make money. There are too many people on each server constantly scanning the AH with auctionneer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    I don't think there are many controversies on the subject.

Most guides you will see will recommend that you take 1 or 2 gathering professions, empty your bags and go farm some mobs. Mobs will drop stuff including grey, greens, and if you are lucky you can get a lucky blue or epic item.

There are many places you can actually farm. The satyr's in Felwood are a good example, they drop runecloth, which you can either sell at AH or if you are a tailor you can craft some green items and vendor it. They drop felcloth which sells for 2-3g at AH each, and they can drop random stuff as well, including potions. Farming them will probably net you 35-40g/hour.

Animals tend to drop grey items more often that have a decent value, and if you have skinning as well, you can also vendor trash the leather (or again, craft some green items and vendor it if you are leatherworking). Places like EPL is quite good for that as well. This will also net you about the same amount of gold/hour.

Essences (of water, earth, air) are also valuable, and you can farm mobs for them too, like in Sillithus.

If you have mining or herbing, you gather these along the way which will net you a little extra. Some of the high level herbs sells for 5-6g a stack.

Anyways, you get the idea. Grinding mobs is probably the most reliable, consistent way of making money. Find your spot and make sure you don't have too much competition.

Playing the AH may work for some people, but I found that unless you really find a niche, it is very difficult to make money. There are too many people on each server constantly scanning the AH with auctionneer right now.
    Thank you so much for this valuable answer, this clears up a lot for me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    Devilsaur leather is old and busted; every LWer went tribal and the hardcores have long since passed the devilsaur stage.

On our server at least, blacks dragonscale armor is selling really well! DPS warriors and even tanks use it to fill in fire resist, and the bonuses are pretty decent for a newly raiding hunter (+1 hit, +2 crit, ap and fire resist).

In terms of $ making, if you're not able to solo grind instances like mages/pallies/hunters, you can farm mobs in the open world:

- elementals in silithus
    - water elementals in EPL
    - undead in WPL / EPL (good for Argent Dawn rep)
    - Timbermay in felwood (less optimal) or winterspring (optimal)

Humanoids drop runecloth that always sells, pots (mana/health), occasional greens and even recipes. I can reliably make ~20g/hr minimum grinding AD or Timbermaw rep.
    I will throw this into the mix and see if it works for me, thank you for the input

Hunter dm north tribute runs. Ppl can do it way faster than me but I can do the whole run, sell stuff, get back to the entrance, and reset, all in 25 mins. This gives ~15-30g in vendor loot, and 0-~5 major mana pots that sell for 10-13g a 5 stack. So on average about 50g per hour uncontested and 3 possible spawns of dusty tomes. Will take practice but will be worth it. Frustrating if you wipe tho.