Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Working from home?

Who works from home and who doesn’t?

I love it.

I was a personal trainer and would train people face to face for many years,

exchanging time for money.

And I hated it, well I love my clients, I just didn’t like being paid hourly.

Since than, I dropped all my clients ( 125k a year business ) and decided to work from home so I could have a stay at home job as a digital tycoon.

Anyone else work from home?

I love flexiblity,
    the passive income ,
    And more time with family.

Okay, dude I will be blunt : it sounds like you are about to talk me about an opportunity that involves a certain geometric shape used by Nahualt speakers in Mexico for their religious architecture. If you are needing to find new victi...new partners...on a MMO forum you are not giving an impression of success.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Okay, dude I will be blunt : it sounds like you are about to talk me about an opportunity that involves a certain geometric shape used by Nahualt speakers in Mexico for their religious architecture. If you are needing to find new victi...new partners...on a MMO forum you are not giving an impression of success.
    You need to lay off the conspiracy theory websites.

It’s a simply question, who works from home..

And who doesn’t.

Ps I’m not hiring, no you can’t join my team, I don’t have one.

Cyber currency’s are a scam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yes, I work from home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd argue it depends on your job.

Personally i work one day from home every 1-2 weeks. I love it as i have quiet and peace and especially if i have to finish documents where i need to concentrate, it is easier from home.

On the other hand: There is a big difference between writing an email or skype message to a dev, or popping up next to their desk and pest them until you have what you want. Also, a problem i see with our remote workers (people working from different countries) is that they're often out of the loop for current developments/news.

I'd say it has advantages and disadvantages, but like most things in life, balance is the key.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are some good jobs you can do from home? Genuine question.

I personally can not work from home since I have to lead my own small company and should be present most of the time. But I envy people who can do so.
    Then again I gave one employee the opportunity to work from home 2 days a week and it didn't really work out too well. The work he got done at home was ~30%-40% less than what he usually did at the office while doing similar hours.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Finance, it's ridiculous acceptable when the company is completely global...3 inches of snow fuck it I'm working from home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Software development

Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    Who works from home and who doesn’t?

I love it.

I was a personal trainer and would train people face to face for many years,

exchanging time for money.

And I hated it, well I love my clients, I just didn’t like being paid hourly.

Since than, I dropped all my clients ( 125k a year business ) and decided to work from home so I could have a stay at home job as a digital tycoon.

Anyone else work from home?

I love flexiblity,
    the passive income ,
    And more time with family.
    I do at times, I actually get more work done at home because of less distraction. I don't have random people coming into my office to make small talk it's rather nice.

I get to work from home maybe 10% of the time. It's nice when I'm allowed to. I probably could work from home up to 25% of the time if they'd let me. The other 75%, I really need to be on site. I'm an engineer.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    A few times a month, but it really should be almost zero. I am terribly inefficient when I work from home.

Systems Administrator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Software engineering. Write apps from home, especially free lance. Some jobs offer remote where you can work wherever the hell you want so long as you deliver on time and attend teleconferences on time.

I work in enterprise so I'm required to go to an office (leaving in 5 minutes actually) but occasionally if I can't make it to the office I'll work from home. The requirement to work in an office is a bit puzzling since only 3 of the people on my 7 person Scrum team lives in the town I work in and the rest are in freaking Arizona on the other side of the country. But all my work is on a virtual machine so I can theoretically log in anywhere and do work.

It's nice to stay home and be in sweatpants and relax a bit.
    Putin khuliyo

It's nice to do it every once in a while (I work from home every Friday), but it's bad for you career-wise, especially if you are just starting out, to be doing it all the time. You should be around people and colleagues so you can build your network and learn more.

Plus, if you don't have a dedicated space to work at in your house, your home will start to just feel like your office, which can be stressful.

I could work from home, but i won't. Home is free time, and it will stay that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I remote if that counts but I still have to go in. I’m also on call.

That said I own my own business also.

There are pros and cons. You really have to be a self starter and crack your own whip. Not having the luxury of “someone else takes care of it” or “ someone else better be doing their job” buck stops with you if you own and run your own business.

I’m happy with where I am but anything more would be stress I don’t want.

Less than a year I’m going to be retired. My business basically is all automatic now. I still have to manage the big stuff but I like being laid back.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I've worked solely from home for 2 years now. I can honestly say that it has both pros and cons. It's great to be able to spend more time with family, etc. Also, no commute, so you make more NET money, since you're not spending that on gas, lunches out, etc. To manage all my contacts and save time and money I use EspoCRM, it is best free CRM system.
    Last edited by denn69; 2019-12-06 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could work from home, but unfortunately, you can't in my job.

It's annoying how many people are allowed to where I work, and it's not even for good reasons. Seemingly, I cba today so I'm working from home, or it's Friday so I'm working from home.

No, but you really need a tremendous amount of self-control and motivation to actually do your work from home. Also the jobs that can actually be fully done from home are extremely limited. Like REALLY limited. Many of the jobs that are done from home often still involve coming in or at least remaining on standby (practically just overtime), the company also loses the option to have you immediately available in the office, which is something I personally find rather important in my field (R&D), as you often need to exchange yourself with others or if no one keeps you updated you might miss important developments that could effect you down the line. Waiting for others to respond to your emails is just ineffcient.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Anything done on a computer.