Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    No. What ruins new expansions is Blizz's lack of effort, not any surprise (or lack thereof) elements. Don't kill the messenger.
    I hate the notion of 'don't kill the messenger'

Well, don't be the fucking messenger. If you agree with the person who wants to shoot you about said information, then why spread said information in the first place?

Don't cover it if it's bad. Just like in the professional wrestling world, even bad press is good press because at least theyre talking about you and others will join in on the dead horse beating contest.

Fucking kill the messenger if they're spreading information they don't agree with. They're a snake.

I'm all for it staying and dying at the source. Which is in the game. Let it die there. Don't sell wolf tickets so you can make money off others watching it die.
    Last edited by scelero; 2019-12-04 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel85NYC View Post
    With all the Data mining and Posting Spoilers on the site. Do you guys think it ruins the "Surprise element" to a new expansion?

In my opinion, Yes they do. I wished they could stop Data mining. And I wish Blizzard would do something about it. But this is my opinion.. What do you guys think? Does it ruin it for you too? Let's please be adults about this and lets be nice. Thank you!
    I don't mind coming here to see the datamines that appear on MMO-Champion. It kind of gives me an idea if I'll be maining the same character in the next expansion or switching mains.

That said, I honestly could do without all the "OMG TRU LEEK, EVRYBODY!! SRSLY!!" threads that pop up in that pre-Blizzcon period. This year, in particular, was quite egregious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure that data mining ruins things for some and not for others. That's to be expected since people are different.

If you spend any time on forums here it's possible that the game is more likely to be ruined by everyone that beats up on the game every single day. That becomes really oppressive after a while. If you feel that's happening, then take a break from forum discussions.

The only opinion that matters is yours and it should only matter to you. Don't ever let anyone tell you what you should and shouldn't like about anything: games, books, music. There are people that are informative and fair and many that are not.

If you want mostly non-spoiled news about the game and what's coming up, the Blizzard web site is there for you.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

5+ Year Old Account
    Leaks do more harm than good. Once people grow to dislike an idea by the misrepresentation in the leak, it's harder to get them on board for the expansion. Just like what happened with Shadowlands and the leak this time.

With all the Data mining and Posting Spoilers on the site. Do you guys think it ruins the "Surprise element" to a new expansion?

In my opinion, Yes they do. I wished they could stop Data mining. And I wish Blizzard would do something about it. But this is my opinion.. What do you guys think? Does it ruin it for you too? Let's please be adults about this and lets be nice. Thank you!
    This just in...reading spoilers and datamined info on discord/mmoc/wowhead is optional. Nobody is forcing you to look at the sites.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    If I go online to read spoilers, like movie spoilers in Reddit, I'd be an idiot to blame anyone but myself. It wouldn't be reddits fault.
    The same applies to mmoc.
    Or discord, wowhead, lucy. The only person spoiling anything would be me for looking. How can people blame the sites when we are given a choice to look or not. :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Data mining and public testing have certainly changed the way you're expected to play the game (compared to how it was 15 years ago) - you're expected to know everything before you set your foot into a new raid, dungeon or other group content for the first time - but I wouldn't say that's solely the responsibility of MMO-Champion (or Wowhead or Discord or any other place that routinely does this). I think that's probably more due to how online fandoms work these days. We simply demand to know every little detail about the products we love.

Here at MMOC forums we have another problem - the general forums are full of people who seem to thrive on negativity. The catch phrases like "shareholder pressure" or "lazy dev team" are used as truths to hammer down on any discussion point day in and day out. That can easily ruin new content - but luckily that's easily fixed - stepping away from the pit and not buying into the negative mob mentality here will immediately make the game more enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account

You could just... you know... not read the datamined content.

And no, it doesn't "ruin the expansion"... It may change the initial reception, but a week or two after launch, when everyone knows everything, if the expansion is bad, they will call it bad regardless of datamining or not.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-12-05 at 05:36 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account

You exhort us to 'be adults' but the adult thing to do if you didn't want to read something would be, not read it. Plenty of folks datamine... its not just people here at MMOC.

Dont want to read something that's been datamined, be the adult and dont go to those websites.... Your problem is solved, by your own actions even... no action need be taking by anyone else.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

5+ Year Old Account
    Frequenting data mining sites ruins the surprise, yes. I get the most enjoyment out of the game when i avoid MMO champ/wowhead and discover things in the game as they come out, and having that restraint does wonders to reignite fun in the game. At the same time, the game is not flawless and its good to avoid the home page if you just want to come in and give feedback/discuss stuff.

I actually agree a little bit.
    The game(s) are more fun to me when you play with friends who do NOT now what's coming up next

Probably *the* reason why WoW classic was fun after all. No one knew a thing about anything.

It's difficult/impossible to find a group of like minded people in that regard, let alone a full raid group who goes in "blind" learning the bosses on their own.
    There is always someone who will secretely look up things and deliver the solution (aka spoilers) when the majority is still trying to figure things out.

But it is what it is..

On the other hand, stuff like the secrets in Legion were great and the whole community came together to solve them via discord, wowhead or even MMO-C etc.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-12-05 at 05:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Datamining doesn't affect expansions, it's you being salty about reading spoilers after scrolling past spoiler tag or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Datamining allows the average salty MMO-champ forum poster to pass judgement on a game that they haven't played since Wrath, and keeps their toxicity away from the game itself because they don't sub.

I'm happy MMO-champ provides this service.

MMO-C doesn't, but Alphas, Betas, PTRs and all the datamining related are ruining them, yes. You know all what is going to happen before it ever does. It's not helped by Blizzard's atrocious comm (LET'S SHOW TELDRASSIL BURNING AND SYLVANAS WATCHING THAT FROM THE SHORE BOIZZZZ) either.

I mean, we've seen the Wound in Silithus before Antorus is live. We've seen the Shirt from Gearstore with the description "sargeras fucked up Azeroth before being imprisoned LEL" before Antorus. We know that N'zoth is the last boss of the expac and we've seen part of the ending cinematic before the end of this expac. We even know nothing will happen to Sylvanas before 9.0 because there is a freaking cinematic about that.

We know way too much. And even if you try to avoid spoilers, it's nearly impossible to ignore them, especially big ones revealed at Blizzcon and such.

They should limit their PTR, Betas and Alphas testing. They don't need to show us everything. They have to test Mythic mechanics ? Why not, but slap them on a giant Murloc inside a similar-shaped room and change its dialogues and its attacks names to Mrlggglglrllrgl, I'm pretty Blizzard can be confident about their bosses' animations and text broadcasts to work even with a limited testing team...
    Same goes for the quests.

The discovery part is 95% of the excitement.
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-12-05 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Yeah, seriously. Outside of Legiondary acquisition, Legion was a great expansion (content-wise).
    - WQs >>>>>>>> Dailies
    - M+ breathed new life into dungeons and now even people who hate raiding can progress in endgame!
    - Legiondaries were actually super fun, it just sucked on the raw RNG acquisition.

Plus, you can bet your ass everything in Legion was datamined and thrown in our faces ahead of time.

The problem with newer expansions (Legion partially-excluded) isn't that everything is datamined, it's that... well, there's nothing to do. WoD had no content. BfA wasted so many resources on shit content (WFs and IEs). SL sadly is looking like very little substance yet again. Torghast looks great, but where's the lastability? Covenants doesn't look like it's much more different from AP and seems like it won't be a lasting thing outside of "obligatory forced progress or you fall behind" system 4.0.

If it's something good, it's free advertising. Effortless hype is never a bad thing.

If a datamine causes trouble for them, all they have to do is say "it's a datamine error, top kek idiots"
    There is more to do in this expansion than most.

Lol, MMO-Champion ruins literally everything.

**correction: social media in general ruins everything. about everything.

I find it rather interesting. Remember when Varian's death was datamined long before it was live? Good times. And now when N'Zoth dies? Oh..

No, it's actually really useful, as we get to know in advance what we're really getting in the new expansion.

If someone has problems with that, they are free to not frequent sites like these, and just the game as if blind.

Is MMO-champion even doing data mining these days? Everything here is posted on wowhead first anyway and some stuff doesn't even get posted here.

10+ Year Old Account

Of course spoilers suck, but no one is forcing us to visit this site.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.