Is the violn becoming a more popular instrument?

So it seems in the past decade or so the violin has become more popular for mainstream music. it's pretty much always been great for like classical music or fiddle music in bluegrass or country music. However it seems that people are using it more and more for like cover music and stuff. You have artists like Lindsey Stirling, Taylor Davis, or Martha Psyko that make some really good music with it. There's so many more people on youtube rocking out on them.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Ariana Grande and camila cabello top the charts at the moment. I dont see them playing violin with their swank dance routines.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Was expecting to see Lindsey Stirling. Saw Lindsey Stirling.

If there are only a handful of examples that everyone knows about, I'm going to go with "no, it's not more popular." These people just found a niche to exploit. Props to them and everything, but it's not indicative of some larger trend.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Seems like the electric violin thing surged about a decade ago and is holding fairly steady (I did see a competitive high school marching band include one in their front ensemble this year).

Violins in popular music comes and goes. They were popular in 1920s and 1930s (died out with popularity of swing music), re-emerged in the late 60s through early 80s (mostly died out when disco died), and is enjoying another round. But even during the less popular periods, you will always find some bands using them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Violin was "hot" about two decades ago with Linda Lampenius and Vanessa Mae.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I mean.. there was Viva la vida by Coldplay that surged the whole "violins are kinda cool" for a while.

Violins are nice, but I think cellos are the go to for group sessions.

No,

you are just searching for them or came to such a video by chance and youtube will provide similar videos if you watch them.
    Pretty sure the go to instrument for a cover is still the piano or the guitar for pretty much everything.

Honestly though, the violin gets annoying real quick if you have to listen to it for a whole song as the "main instrument". The faster the song, the worse it gets.

I too would rather listen to a cello
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-12-10 at 08:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's pretty much google/youtube algorithm throws into your search/recommended the videos similar to what you have previously watched, means more and more violin covers. Try searching for pianos/guitars and it'll be all over the place. Especially guitars are far more widespread than violins

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    No it's pretty much google/youtube algorithm throws into your search/recommended the videos similar to what you have previously watched, means more and more violin covers. Try searching for pianos/guitars and it'll be all over the place. Especially guitars are far more widespread than violins
    Or click one Asmongold video and be shoveled with that garbage for a month.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Girls tend to prefer piano or violin as an instrument in the mainstream culture -> Girls online bring views -> views make money -> money is good to have -> be a girl and make money online playing a violin * .

* other instruments might produce the same results

On a serious note though those musicians have been on yt for a decent amount of time not sure how they qualify as an indicator of increasing popularity , one thing is sure more people today know and use youtube than it was 10 years ago and teens , especially the talented ones can have their own spotlight on the platform. Maybe in the past there were just as many violinists but they wouldn't just be into tech and social media stuff.

Also , as the other said : yt algorithm

I watched one of this guy's videos and now there is at least 1 of his videos on my homepage, not that I dislike it , always great to see a fellow Italian doing great on YT and not being one of the 100000 clones doing challenges , social experiments pranks or being dumb football fanatics
    Last edited by valax; 2019-12-10 at 10:57 PM.

Violin has been popular for quite awhile, with that Singaporean girl on the fluorescent electric violin being an influence 2 decades ago.