Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah I'm seeing this mentality of great 1 to 60 will be easy to level alts now. Nothing suggests that. They could make it even slower if they wanted
    Here you go, buddy. This was free to watch btw. 18:10
    https://youtu.be/6OHDAwg-Tw4?t=1091

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Thing is they tried to change it, they planned a change to make it so stuff wasnt "removed from the game" anymore, but guess what? players had a MASSIVE flipout, to the mount that they were forced to give up on the change.
    I've heard a few people say this now....but with very little detail. How did blizz intend to change things, and what was the flipout based on?

    Not baiting here. Genuinely curious. I have strong opinions on the cash shop, of course. But this is the first Ive heard of this particular case, and I try to make a habit of considering new info to see if it changes my views.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    They technically od this constantly, but for some reason it is always a surprise.

    Pretty much every single expansion pre-patch comes with its own set of exclusive items to reward players who were there for it. For BfA it was the Hippogryph and Bat, for Legion it was the unique recolors of armor and weapons, for WoD it was a title.

    Not ot mention all the expansion specific things.
    Challenge mode gear, titles and mounts from MoP, WoD and now with the mount, BfA. And the Mage tower gear from Legion.

    The mount isnt even technically being removed, it is simply made even more exclusive by being available solely from the BMAH, which is in line with other extremely rare items like the TCG tabards, exclusive mounts and battle pets.


    If you want the mount, then you would already have it if you are the kind of player it was aimed at, that is, AH players and Gold hoarders.
    You can cry about it all you want, but exclusive things will always be in the game, so don't complain about this one when it isnt even being properly removed.
    I agree, I have it since the day it came out.
    I guess I can see the issue here though. The old special mounts such as the yak were never removed this way.

    But creating a feeling of "i have to stay subed to get this" is nothing new as you say.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    And what is your point? Are you suggesting that blizzard actively avoid making money? I think your comment is wrong but even if that was the sole reason then I applaud blizzard. Businesses are there solely to make money. The people who made this decision (who are a lot smarter than you) know what the reaction will be. There will be a tiny segment of people being fake outraged but blizzard would make more money.
    No, I'm not. But people are saying it's for all sorts of odd reasons but it's just as simple as them wanting you to stay subscribed during the period where they are not releasing any new content.

    I get why they are doing it and I have no problems with it. I have the mount already.

  4. #84
    Prestige and artificial scarcity has been a common tactic used by Blizzard to make players feel special since vanilla, true, but it's also true that they've been doing it a lot more often over a lot more mundane things. Personally, I think this mount being removed is a poor idea. Even with the argument that it's because of the portable AH, removing the mount's unique model entirely is just a pretty big waste. Not only for the model's sake, but for the purpose of content in the game. Having a cool mount players can work for as something to do in the game. Otherwise, they might as well start prestiging every unique or gold/time-sink related model like the spider mount or the bee. (They very well may end up going that route too)

    Imo, it would be better to change what exactly is being given the prestige status. Instead of making the brutosaur exclusive, just make brutosaurs with vendors exclusive. Basically, do to Brutosaurs now what they did in WotLK: give us a "Grand Ice/Black Mammoth" alternative to the bigger "Traveler's Tundra Mammoth" gold sink. Except this time, our Traveler's Tundra Mammoth would prestige and be replaced by a slightly less useful/impressive mount that still preserves the model for future players in the game to obtain. It's a pretty fair compromise for people who still want the mount, and folks who want to feel special (though these days mounts don't make for good status symbols when every 2 in 10 people are riding the same exotic and colossal machines, monsters, and dinos)
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2019-12-07 at 07:44 AM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

  5. #85
    Here's a potential solution:

    Make the AH functionality work like the colors on the Mechanocat or the canopy on the Caravan Hyena: a mount customization option accessible through talking to an NPC. You buy the mount, and the AH dude does nothing. You can talk to him and he tells you how he's entitled to ride the mount because he already paid for a ticket to the vendor or something like that. But if you buy a really expensive Tortollan Auctioneer Contract from the BMAH, you get a quest to talk to him that unlocks the option to use him as an AH on all your characters.

    People who bought this mount in BFA get the option to turn him into an auctioneer by default. After BFA, the mount itself becomes cheaper (maybe 1 or 2 millions), but any new player who gets it would have to buy the expensive quest item off the BMAH in order to actually use the NPC.

    How does this sound? If you like the idea and play in the US, feel free to post it in the main thread there, since it's more likely to be seen.

  6. #86
    Fluffy Kitten MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    29,498
    Mounts that cost this much only prove the same thing as getting a college degree: you were there, you started it, you finished it. Now what are you going to do with it?

    In the general sense of things, it's pointless and once it's gone will disappear from everyone's mind. I actually thought it pretty much had after the spate of threads about this a couple of weeks ago when this was announced.

    I agree that Blizzard's penchant for removing stuff from the game does more harm than good and can only wonder at the mindset that makes them think that this is some good and useful practice. From what I can see people need very little to feel special about themselves. It might not be a good idea to encourage it.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Mounts that cost this much only prove the same thing as getting a college degree: you were there, you started it, you finished it. Now what are you going to do with it?

    In the general sense of things, it's pointless and once it's gone will disappear from everyone's mind. I actually thought it pretty much had after the spate of threads about this a couple of weeks ago when this was announced.

    I agree that Blizzard's penchant for removing stuff from the game does more harm than good and can only wonder at the mindset that makes them think that this is some good and useful practice. From what I can see people need very little to feel special about themselves. It might not be a good idea to encourage it.
    This discussion very much had run its course. Blizzard recently "bumped" it with an additional round of reasoning: They don't want the Brutosaur to suffer the same fate as other vendor mounts before it. Personally, I think it's kind of a stupid justification given their first response on it was sufficient but at least they gave us a bit of a frame of reference as to how they approach these situations internally. And now this thread will enjoy a delightful rehashing of the same arguments from the same people about how artificial scarcity is the reason they unsubbed and how "greedy Blizzard" is making whales buy WoW tokens. I... I give up anymore. I really don't understand why Blizzard decided to respond at all. This community can't handle anything.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I've heard a few people say this now....but with very little detail. How did blizz intend to change things, and what was the flipout based on?

    Not baiting here. Genuinely curious. I have strong opinions on the cash shop, of course. But this is the first Ive heard of this particular case, and I try to make a habit of considering new info to see if it changes my views.

    The only thing I can think of (and doesn't really count imo) is when Elite PvP sets. They considered bringing them back but all the snowflakes started complaining that it wasn't fair that people could get old elite sets for current season pvp rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    at least they gave us a bit of a frame of reference as to how they approach these situations internally
    Except this is always the excuse. The excuse is basically "Gotta protect the snowflakes who want to feel special they got something at a specific time because no one else can have it!!" Which is essentially the dumbest excuse ever. No matter what excuse they give on why they are removing it, it is never a good answer. There shouldn't ever be anything removed in a game. It doesn't add prestige or anything. All it does is discourage new people with them seeing things they can't ever achieved because they didn't play it when it was current or at this point some weren't even born or still in diapers when that content existed.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    The only thing I can think of (and doesn't really count imo) is when Elite PvP sets. They considered bringing them back but all the snowflakes started complaining that it wasn't fair that people could get old elite sets for current season pvp rankings.
    I that what this is about? The "massive outcry" from people who want to keep their exclusivity?

    I think you answered it pretty well below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Except this is always the excuse. The excuse is basically "Gotta protect the snowflakes who want to feel special they got something at a specific time because no one else can have it!!" Which is essentially the dumbest excuse ever. No matter what excuse they give on why they are removing it, it is never a good answer. There shouldn't ever be anything removed in a game. It doesn't add prestige or anything. All it does is discourage new people with them seeing things they can't ever achieved because they didn't play it when it was current or at this point some weren't even born or still in diapers when that content existed.

    I will only add that I think there are ways to create exclusivity that doesn't use an exclusionary model. Such as seasonal or cyclical events where items are only available during a specific time frame, as long as that opportunity is repeated.

    Or skill-based accomplishments which have a barrier that is constant, but high enough to pose a legitimate accolade upon completion. Granted, this is more difficult due to the changing nature of character power and class balance. But my counter argument isn't that the challenge has to be exactly the same, just as long as the challenge or difficulty presented is similar.

  10. #90
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,401
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    You're not owed anything and limited release mounts make them interesting and special. The idea is to reward players who continuously play and have the ability to pay for fancy shit.

    If you missed out on something then you missed out on it. That's why the Black Market AH exists - try to get it there..
    This! Plus everyone who is complaining that the mount will sell for gold cap on the BMAH - it won't. not even close. how do I know this? because anyone who is a) a mount collector and b) has 5 million gold at the end of the expansion WILL be buying it at the end of the expansion. which means it will probably cost a lot less that 5 million on the BMAH because anyone who would bid over 5 million gold has already bought the bloody thing!

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    Stop crying because you won't put in enough effort to get it. You had enough time and you still have enough time to get it now. Do it or leave it, but stop crying about it.
    It's not about getting the mount, it's about sending a message.

    Blizzard didn't remove any of their mounts which cost that much before. It's obvious that they want people to buy them faster(with tokens).

    There's no other point of removing buyable mounts.

    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Blizzard: What if we never removed anything from the game?

    Community: *loud screeching noises*


    Blizzard: Okay, so...what if we removed only some things?

    Community: Great, way to prove you're a greedy company that preys on the .0001% of your community obsessed with collecting everything at all costs!
    Never heard about the first part.

    Anyway, that argument is invalid because we didn't have such a situation before.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    It's not about getting the mount, it's about sending a message.

    Blizzard didn't remove any of their mounts which cost that much before. It's obvious that they want people to buy them faster(with tokens).

    There's no other point of removing buyable mounts.



    Never heard about the first part.

    Anyway, that argument is invalid because we didn't have such a situation before.
    It's because they don't want every pleb to around with a personal auction house which i totally see. It's a good choice.

    You don't need to buy any token for this mount, it's perfectly fine farmable.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Which is fine, but are you suggesting that somebody entering BfA with 200k gold would be able to feasibly make 5 mil?
    Yes it is impossible to do WQ with 4-5 toons (daily ~20min/toon) and reach 5M gold with WQ/paragon/satchel in sub 3 months. Yes that is impossible and nobody done it. Doing more with multiboxing? Yes thats something nobody does.

    All it takes is not spending your gold for useless stuff.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    It's because they don't want every pleb to around with a personal auction house which i totally see. It's a good choice.
    Why? I wouldn't see any problem with that.

    To be honest I'd like to see them making another mount for ~7-9mln in Shadowlands. That would actually be awesome. So the people who are rich would actually show off, while other pleb would still ride brutosaur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    You don't need to buy any token for this mount, it's perfectly fine farmable.
    Yes, but it's easier and faster to buy that mount with tokens.

    Anyway:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    It's because they don't want every pleb to around with a personal auction house
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    it's perfectly fine farmable.
    These statements seems to contradict with each other.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    I think store mounts are fine
    I think them removing longboi is fine

    I own none of neither (except pirate mount cus it was free but i never use it)

    What's scummy about time limited items/events? Are you new to this game or something?
    It's scummy because this is a very coveted item, that can be acquired through real life money, and the early removal of it will force people who desparately want it to cover the missing gold with wow tokens. Don't need to be a detective to figure that out.

    Limited time items/events are generally the worst part of wow, but usually these items are purely about skill and gameplay. Sure, you could argue that you can buy raid boosts etc. in the same way, to get some of the other limited things, but that's a niche illegal out of game activity. In this case, this is just an outright official incentive to spend money to get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    why? they are not even close to being the same thing.
    Of course they aren't the same thing. Store mounts have no additional perks, aren't even that pretty, and don't have any prestige bound to them whatsoever. Most people who buy them are just hardcore collectors who want that +1 to the counter while supporting Blizzard for some additional buck. You don't feel any pressure whatsoever to get any of them.

    Brutosaur on the other hand is that one mount in the game that has AH functionality. It's an item of incredibly luxury. And now it's getting discontinued (yes, I know about the future availability on BMAH, but good lucking getting it through there for the first couple years below the original price).

    So no, they aren't the same thing. Brutosaur fiasco is actually a scummy/predatory move, while the store mounts really are not.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    They have placed an increased emphasis on 'you had to be there' prestige/content in recent years: the legendary cloak/rings, the MC anniversary mount as you pointed out, the mage tower appearances, and now this mount.

    I understand that prestige is very important to some people but personally I think its just plain dumb to remove content from the game (outside of like, story-mandated changes) and I wish they'd stop doing it.
    Do you remember when Blizzard used to say they didn't want to ever create content that would be removed, and AQ was an experiment of the first time of them putting in content that would be removed? Pepperidge farm remembers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    In the end the success of classic means just the blizzard was right since years, people want easy LFR mode.

  17. #97
    You don't seem to understand what has caused this massive inflation OP. It's not table missions or world quests, etc. Lmao.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    It's funny how out of many absolutely bogus arguments that people use about Blizzard being a predatory company that employs scummy tactics, the only one that actually is kind of shitty gets defended so much by the same people that usually cry about such things. All because they are the rich ones and were able to afford it quickly

    If you're okay with the ah mount getting removed, you're not allowed to whine about any cash shop mount introduced in the future, ever
    I haven't bought the longboi and I probably won't as I don't care for it. I don't care if they remove it, and store mounts are usually pretty dope. What's there to whine about?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    It's scummy because this is a very coveted item, that can be acquired through real life money, and the early removal of it will force people who desparately want it to cover the missing gold with wow tokens. Don't need to be a detective to figure that out.

    Limited time items/events are generally the worst part of wow, but usually these items are purely about skill and gameplay. Sure, you could argue that you can buy raid boosts etc. in the same way, to get some of the other limited things, but that's a niche illegal out of game activity. In this case, this is just an outright official incentive to spend money to get it.



    Of course they aren't the same thing. Store mounts have no additional perks, aren't even that pretty, and don't have any prestige bound to them whatsoever. Most people who buy them are just hardcore collectors who want that +1 to the counter while supporting Blizzard for some additional buck. You don't feel any pressure whatsoever to get any of them.

    Brutosaur on the other hand is that one mount in the game that has AH functionality. It's an item of incredibly luxury. And now it's getting discontinued (yes, I know about the future availability on BMAH, but good lucking getting it through there for the first couple years below the original price).

    So no, they aren't the same thing. Brutosaur fiasco is actually a scummy/predatory move, while the store mounts really are not.
    Yeah, most people don't care about the longboi, actually. There goes "very coveted", "item of incredible luxury".

    You have your opinions but don't try to tweak your arguments with invalid facts about peoples preferences to try to make your arguments valid. Thanks.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    if income keeps pace with inflation then thats called wealth growth

    so, idk, who cares?
    does income keep pace though?

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Why? I wouldn't see any problem with that.

    To be honest I'd like to see them making another mount for ~7-9mln in Shadowlands. That would actually be awesome. So the people who are rich would actually show off, while other pleb would still ride brutosaur.
    Because it is a pretty big advantage to have one against other players that don't have one. And you earned it with a big amount of effort you put into it.

    Yes, but it's easier and faster to buy that mount with tokens.
    Can't agree with that...making that much real money to buy a virtual item ingame surely takes more effort and time then to farm the 5 million ingame

    Anyway:



    These statements seems to contradict with each other.
    Nope, just because something is perfectly farmable doesn't mean it's easy and you don't need to have a plan and put much effort into it. Many people won't do that but it's possible for everyone to do it if he really is into it.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    Because it is a pretty big advantage to have one against other players that don't have one. And you earned it with a big amount of effort you put into it.
    I agree, you have right here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    Can't agree with that...making that much real money to buy a virtual item ingame surely takes more effort and time then to farm the 5 million ingame
    Yes, you have a point. But I think that we both can be right or wrong here. It's really subective. It depends how much people are earning real money. For some people it takes more effort to earn 5 mln gold in game than ~500-600$/€ and for some less.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    Nope, just because something is perfectly farmable doesn't mean it's easy and you don't need to have a plan and put much effort into it. Many people won't do that but it's possible for everyone to do it if he really is into it.
    With that point of view I could say that almost everything is possible, as long as someone put much effort, have plan and determination.



    Anyway, my whole point was that Blizzard shouldn't delete buyable mounts. I see no other reason than them being greedy for more money from tokens. They didn't delete mammoth or yak afterall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •