A stupid question regarding PVP Ranking

Hey,

I came back with the battleground patch, and i decided i wanna at least give it a shot at ranking, rank 10 to be my upper most goal if possible.

I'm currently sitting on rank 3, with around 120k honor farmed last week. (I know i will need a lot more to be able to reach my rank goal at the end, however

This week, i farmed the same honor already (around 120k). But something hit me - if i understand correctly, i can only rank up max 1 rank per week from now on. (?)

So my question is: Is there worth farming any more honor than that is required to get to the next rank the following week? If i can only get 1 rank per week? The way i understand is, no matter how much honor i farm this week, i will still only reach rank 4 next week. And so on and so on in the weeks in the future. Is that the case? And i can stop farming for the week? Or what's the catch?

Thanks for the explanation <3

You can get more than 1 rank per week, however getting higher and higher ranks gets a lot harder every week.

It all depends on how much ranking points you get. You gain ranking points based on your bracket and standing. Your standing is your "rank" on how much honor you have gained this week compared to everyone else on your faction and server. The lower your standing the more honor you have compared to everyone and the higher your bracket the more RP you get.

Honor isn't what you actually "rank" with, Honor is just a tool to rank players with eachother.

What you gain in terms of Ranks is dependant on your Ranking points, these are awarded based on your standing.
    Your standing is influenced by how much honor you gained in comparison to other players.

The system is rather complex but the TL;DR is, what you gain in terms of honor is not as relevant, what matters is how much honor you gained in comparison to other players.

You can only rank so slowly because how much Ranking Points you receive is capped, each rank requires an ever increasing amount of ranking points.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    You can get more than 1 rank per week, however getting higher and higher ranks gets a lot harder every week.

It all depends on how much ranking points you get. You gain ranking points based on your bracket and standing. Your standing is your "rank" on how much honor you have gained this week compared to everyone else on your faction and server. The lower your standing the more honor you have compared to everyone and the higher your bracket the more RP you get.
    So you are saying that i can get more than 1 rank per week? Oh.. I thought i read somewhere that only 1 rank per week is possible. Thanks for the explanation!

Join AV premades, will cut down your time played by 2/3.

You earn anywhere from -2500 to +13000 ranking points per week. You also decay and lose 20% of your total ranking points per week. Each rank after the first 3 are 5000 more than the last.

You farm honor all week. You are put in a giant pool of all players who earned more than 15hks for the week. Then you are ranked. Based on your relative standing to other players for honor gained the previous week, you are sorted into a bracket. The higher the bracket, the more competitive it is, but the more ranking points you earn.

You are rank 3 which means you have somewhere between 5k and 10k total RP. If you somehow managed to be the highest earner on your server, you would make bracket 13, and earn the full 13000 pts. If you were at 9k total rp right now, you would decay 1800 dropping you to 7200 RP, then add 13000 RP, placing you at 20200 which would be rank 6. This is however very unlikely.

Good rule to follow is pvp at your regular rate for a month. You'll hit a plateau and that's the rank you'll stay at. To go up 1 more rank, you'll have to do abt 50% more per week. Rank 10 atm is not something you're gonna hit casually.

Remember theres no such thing as a stupid question only stupid people...and they vote liberal

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post

isnt it at lower ranks you can gain more than one a week?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-Grand-Marshal

I go in to some of the math there.

Your honor points for a week determine which of the 14 brackets of "ranking points" you get awarded for the week. Then your ranking points decay by 20%, the week you just finished is added, and if your ranking points hit a new break point you get a new rank.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

I thought this post on Reddit summarized it pretty well:

Here's the (totally awful) honor system of Vanilla:
    (numbers are not exact but globally right, also percentage of player in each tier changed depending on patch)

(1) kill other faction player and win battleground to get honor points

(2) at the end of the week, there will be a ranking of the player in your faction based on who got the more honor points during that week

(3) the top 0.2% of the player will be in the first tier of reward and get 12'000 rank points (not to be confused with honor point) then the next tier (which is between 0.2 and 0.7%) will receive 11'000 rank points, then the next tier 10'000 rank points, etc

(5) to get to rank 14 you must get 60'000 rank points (rank 13 - 55'000, rank 12 - 50'000)

(6) each week you decay 20% of your current rank points

That's all!

practical exemple no1: Darklegolass666 is rank 5 because he has a total of 15'000 rank point at the beginning of the week. He plays like a madman all week and achieve to be the first of his faction (gg darklegolass666) he will earn 13'000 rank points! next week he will have 15'000 (total before) - 3'000 (decay) + 13'000 (total of the week) so: 25'000 rank point and reach rank 7!

practical exemple no2: Darklegolass666 is now rank 13 (55'000 rank points) however he can't play 4 days because he must go visit grandma. Darklegolass666 just manage to be in the first 20% of the player of the week and only win 6000 rank points. This could sound ok but because of decay, he will not only not get rank point but lose some! 55'000 - 11'000 + 6000 = 50'000! he's back at rank 12! suck to visit grandma!

tl;dr: system totally sucks and you have to organise all your faction top player to make rotations about who should be ranked in the first tier and never take a break once you're above rank10!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I thought this post on Reddit summarized it pretty well:
    I'm pretty sure if your net points for the week is negative, that 2500 is the most you'll lose per week. Still sucks but not as bad as the example