Poll: Would you still raid without drops?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    Title. For those of you who raid, would you still do it if didnt award any loot what-so-ever? No equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc nada.
    No, rewards are important in games such as WoW.

Nope, I have always been Loot centered and only played the game to gear all my characters as best as I could. That is why I loved Wrath so much I did 100's of Pug and GDKP raids across all my characters because I love raiding, but love gearing my characters more.

Yes, I would. I actually don't raid for gear in the first place, it's just a means to an end to scale you up for content. So I'd raid for the experience still. I only do mythic plus for gear, how ever, would not touch that at all if it didn't drop loot. XD

I'm actually of the opinion that the last boss of a raid shouldn't drop loot, I mean what's the point? You're done. The end boss should just drop mounts/transmog/etc.
    Last edited by Moonoxx; 2019-12-10 at 05:38 PM.

Short answer: No

Long answer: I've been wishing they'd remove gear from raiding for forever. But I also acknowledge the issue with doing so. I'd totally try and raid like that, but you just wouldn't have enough people doing it. I'm fairly sure people at the cutting edge would still mostly raid. But most people wouldn't. And because most people would stop raiding, Blizzard would majorly pull back on supporting raid content. And then it'd be shit. And then even if I was in a top 1% guild, I'd still no longer be able to raid.

So I'd like to see gear no longer mattering in raids, but you can still get other rewards to incentivize people that are tangible rewards driven, like transmog, pets, mounts, titles, achievements, etc.

People also ask how you could do raids without gear to make the raids possible. First, clearly, you haven't given much thought to game design in general. You balance the raid around specific metrics, then set each character's statistics when they enter the raid. Basically, do the stat template thing PVP used a while ago. Then the raid becomes a skill and strategy block to overcome. How to you get past it? In Dark Souls terms, you git gud. But people still generally want progression, so over time do what they in in Incecrown Citedel. Increase the stat template values by 5% every so many weeks as a way to increase player ability. Set an eventual cap. This replicates gaining gear while making it universal, putting everyone on an even field. Then, for bragging rights, let you turn it off too.

OFcourse no, would you do World Quests or even questing in general if you didnt get any rewards or levelups at all from it (i.e. only do it for the "story")?

I raid mostly for the social atmosphere. Significantly for the achievements. Initially for the story. Somewhat for the loot. Remove loot, and I still have three good reasons to go into raids.

Conversely, I only Mythic+ for loot. Remove loot from that, and I'd be super happy to never run them again.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    All the people that voted no and acting all high and mighty are lying !

10+ Year Old Account
    And what reason would there be to run them if you literally take out everything from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    I meeeeeean.... How much of your current gear that is equipped is dropped in raid? just curious..
    Everything except cyclotronic, jc ring and heart of azeroth...

Getting full set of gear and feeling your character "complete" until next patch is one of the joys, one reason why I hate titanforging, it removes the feeling of having "complete" character, even though you know it's temporary and gear will reset in a few months, you could feel it at least for that small period.

If WoW was still a good game, I'd play it even if there was no gear at all. Still, there has to be some incentive, though I'd prefer if it was horizontal character progression rather than a never-ending gear treadmill. Completing new raids/achievements could unlock new talents/skills, which would allow new playstyles within the same class - some better than others in specific situations, but generally around the same power level. Think tier sets that don't get outdated after every new patch. Throw in cosmetics/mounts and a season system and you'd get a fine raiding system with high replayability value.

Maybe if WoW2 ever happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

For over 90% of my vanilla raiding career they didn't drop loot. For me, anyhow.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    All the people that voted no and acting all high and mighty are lying !
    Wait, weren't you the one complaining in another thread how the guild didn't wanna give you a bow drop? And then wanted to take BOE from you for guild bank and that pissed you off? Don't say now you don't care about loot in raids, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Completing new raids/achievements could unlock new talents/skills, which would allow new playstyles within the same class - some better than others in specific situations, but generally around the same power level.
    Would be even more awful than unlocking essences. Finding out that a playstyle you'd like to try is gated behind content / achievement you despise to play through...
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2019-12-10 at 07:14 PM.

I'd do a small raid or something like a hidden boss, but a full tier with no progression in raid throughput from boss 1 to the end sounds like a tuning nightmare. Think how many guilds get stuck now, even with power progression. Unless there were auto-nerfs, in which case you've introduced the effect of gear without any of the potential cosmetics or gameplay changes it could bring.

I think it might be worth an experiment sometime with an optional boss in the last raid of an expansion that gives something other than gear though. Or if they ever do another Halion 1 boss in the final months.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Would be even more awful than unlocking essences. Finding out that a playstyle you'd like to try is gated behind content / achievement you despise to play through...
    Well, it wouldn't be like obviously PvE-leaning playstyles would be locked behind PvP achievements and vice-versa. The system I've proposed is based mostly on Blade and Soul, and it would have been amazing, BUT it did make these mistakes - first, there was still gear and it mattered outside of arenas, and crucial PvP skills were locked behind massive grind or dungeon achievements. It's all a matter of implementation.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2019-12-10 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Er... no. Incentives are a thing...
    Yeah, I also find no other incentive to play other than increasing the numbers that decide what else I can do to increase them further. Shit like having fun, being social, overcoming challenges, experiencing stories and other non-visual intangibles is not what this warrior is looking for.

Seriously though, templates and cap on gear worked wonders in the past, only reason it isn't the norm is because the stupid addicts of the world are only driven by the next piece of loot that might make their auto-attacks stronger than others'.

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    Title. For those of you who raid, would you still do it if didnt award any loot what-so-ever? No equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc nada.
    if there is no effort in getting 25 ppl together that all can play ? by snipping with fingers ?

if the game is not based on gear and carrot on a stick ?

if there is another progression or competition than via gear ?

ofc, maybe !

10+ Year Old Account
    "Would you still work if you didn't get paid for it?"

You can feel free to answer this since it's the same concept.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Yeah, I also find no other incentive to play other than increasing the numbers that decide what else I can do to increase them further. Shit like having fun, being social, overcoming challenges, experiencing stories and other non-visual intangibles is not what this warrior is looking for.

Seriously though, templates and cap on gear worked wonders in the past, only reason it isn't the norm is because the stupid addicts of the world are only driven by the next piece of loot that might make their auto-attacks stronger than others'.
    Keep the sarcasm to yourself. This is first and foremost an RPG, and RPGs are loot oriented... everything else you deem otherwise are secondary.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I barely raid now cause everyone is so freaking mean..

Quote Originally Posted by DazraArugal View Post
    No way,

Sure the challenge is fun, But for me the purples are what I'm there for.
    what if, pre-raid, there would be an armory offering you your full BiS gear - just for the raid. at the end of it you need to bring it back. would you raid then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    "Would you still work if you didn't get paid for it?"

You can feel free to answer this since it's the same concept.
    if I could afford it, and decide where do I wish to volunteer - sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Yes. I play for the story.
    some of them are great(both raids and stories). I'm occasionally have to hold my tears on when I go visit dragon soul. I hated that raid, but the actual tears are saved for sky captain Swayze...

Rest in peace.