Poll: Best Story Arc in BFA

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Best one was my lazy warlock made it to max level. Free boost but still what ever..

Honestly haven't enjoyed the story of BFA. The things I wanted to explore, such as Azerite and wtf is going on with that, has largely been ignored. It was the entire starting point of this war, with everyone fighting to control it. From there, its just been a massive mess of wtf moments that make zero sense. The night elf dark warrior arc was especially bad. Tyranade turns her back on Elune and suddenly is the first Night Warrior in several thousand years, followed rapidly by several dozen others when this ritual was said to be harsh and difficult to accomplish.

The only arc I somewhat enjoyed was the Vol'dun one. It felt completed and like a full story that actually did make sense. Everything else had plot holes abound and just felt incomplete and really left me like "is that it?".
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Voting Sylvanas because it is written so randomly that you cannot know where this shit is going, and it can bring epic moments to high-res cinematics, as nothing makes sense anymore. Next thing you know is Sylvanas duelling Arthas with Saurfang's spirit spouting Honor from nowhere, that's the kind of shit we love

I found Talanji to be quite boring and bland (on the same level as Baine is). Jaina was nice but nothing was outstanding about her arc. Is there any "plotline" ? Everything felt so disjointed throughout BfA...

10+ Year Old Account
    *shrug* it's Jaina, simply put.

She's had the most story beats, those hand drawn cinematics, and depth of character in cinematics, and is still going strong now.

I'd say others like Talanji and Saurfang were okay but they needed more depth, like saurfang having a couple of in-game cinematics reflecting on his past, those he's lost, how the hordes changes over the years since he was one of the only survivors of both hordes, him reflecting on that more showing how things have changed but also stated the same would have tied things up all the better for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The best? Jesus, they’re all so terrible.

The worst is Jaina’s arc for sure. The flip-flopping continues.

But the best? Umm... Ji Firepaw? He became an ambassador and exclaimed a desire to punch dinosaurs. That’s good character development in Blizzard’s book.

10+ Year Old Account
    How convenient you left out an option for Baine.

Do you all forget his arc?

Shame that you let the popular opinion of this forum -- that of utter hate towards the character -- making you willingly turn a blind eye to his character development and story arc.

/s

Remembering these story lines is actually making me happier about BfA, thanks! I've been so frustrated/upset/bored with the main Sylvanas story line in BfA (and now Shadowlands) that I had almost forgotten how good the minor stories were in this expansion! My vote goes for Jaina but really, Talanji, Tyrande, all the individual zones (not you Nazjatar), and the minor characters in the War Campaign such as Lilian and Baine have been top tier as far as Warcraft storytelling is concerned.

Baine got more votes than Anduin despite not even getting a capital letter in his name.

Jaina wins by miles. Starting from her Warbringer her story had everything. It felt like natural conclusion of her character arc that started out as early as WC3. She blamed herself for many of the bad things that happened, and thus was full of doubt of her ability to make good decisions. Despite all her magical power, Jaina always felt broken and BFA fixed that.

She believed up till BFA that she might have stopped Arthas if only she had not left him in front of Stratholme, she blames herself for the entire Lich King storyline. That amount of guilt is an enormous weight to carry.
    She tried to make better decisions by standing for peace with the Horde only to be disappointed by their inability to actually keep the peace and paying for that mistake dearly by loosing some of her closest friends in Theramore.
    In response she became a true hardass and even after not destroying Orgrimmar herself she was absolutely anti-Horde, even asking Varian to destroy them, only to be disappointed by her own side suddenly not going for the hardline anymore (both in the Alliance as well as the Kirin Tor in Legion).

No matter what choices she made, she seemed to be ending up on the wrong side, thus her doubts increased even more, she did not know where to turn or what stance to take. Thus she did what many people do when they feel lost, she returned home, hoping that her mother would forgive her and help her.
    And after some penance that Jaina very much felt she deserved, her mother actually hugged her and told her what to do. She had to let go of the guilt she had been shouldering and she had to begin to trust her own decisions.

The result is the Jaina we have now. A true Archmage that no longer wavers between her decisions. She still fights for peace with the Horde, but she will destroy anyone that stands in the way of it.

There are few moments as emotional in the game as the one where Kathrine and Jaina hug for the first time after so many years. The Proudmoore familiy reunion (with Tandred and more or less Derek) is a great storyline that transforms Jaina from a naive apprentice into a true adult.

Mary Sue Windrunner being Bond-Villain-levels of evil has nothing on that story (if she had actually shown any character growth or change she might have been interesting, but she is just the same as before only more openly evil)

Talanji is actually interesting, but needs a lot more time to grow into something, Rastakhan took too much of her spotlight.
    Last edited by Raisei; 2019-12-09 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan997 View Post
    Baine got more votes than Anduin despite not even getting a capital letter in his name.
    Because Anduin didn't even have a character arc in BfA. He appeared only sporadically to do rather irrelevant things like interacting with Talia or gloating about the victory at Dazar'alor. I suppose that he displayed some wisdom when he freed Saurfang and indirectly used him as a way to avoid a bloodshed at Orgrimmar, but that's not really character development. He's a pretty static character right now.

Legion Anduin had a lot of character development in 7.2 with the Varian memento questline, but BfA Anduin? Not really.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    The only one that is actually complete is Jaina's so I guess hers wins by default. Although even that seems to have come to nothing as she is already back to the insufferable nature that led her to this path in the first place. BfA storywise was more atrocious than WoD, because at least there we could push it into the parallel universe and forget about it.

Haven't cared for the on-going story arcs so much as the leveling story/stories of Kul Tiras and Zandalar. Getting to know the land and its people.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Out of all the storylines up to vote for I found Talanji's was the least grating, which is really saying something.

The last one because it is the end

Daughter of the Sea sea shanty,
    Best hands down - suddenly I cared for Jaina's story.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Daughter of the Sea sea shanty,
    Best hands down - suddenly I cared for Jaina's story.
    And then you were dissapointed.

Gonna have to say My Lady, The Daughter of the Sea herself, Jaina Proudmoore's story was my Favorite.

Voted for Jaina. While wierd at some parts it was a decent tie up, and she was perhaps the only major character that wasn't a total let down. Other than that I'd vote N'Zoth, if he wasn't a sideplot made into a final boss because we need a big name at the end of the last raid.

Jaina's arc for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    What Jaina arc? Lordaeron establishes she still hates the Horde. Arriving at Kul'tiras, she gets sentenced to death regardless of the fact she's changed her stance on orcs since last being there/in contact and disappears for the whole of the leveling process. At max level, Katherine decides to regret that decision and it turns out she was exiled instead and gets dumped on an island (it's never really explained why Ashvane did this when she felt so strongly about executing her) and, shock horror, turns out the Drust have been abducting people from said dinky exile island for years (why this island in particular? who knows, Drust are evil).

So we end up going to Thros where we discover Jaina has been sitting around for anywhere as long as the whole leveling process to just before the Alliance player reached the Exile island and has essentially been moping over decisions she has made in the past as visions of related characters taunt her and Gorak gloats. Katherine says sorry and hugs Jaina which results in Jaina being freed from said visions whilst reaffirming she agrees with her father's stance on Orcs now before then destroying Gorak Tul for good. The siege of Boralus then happens and Jaina saves the day using previously shown item and recently established macguffin for an issue that it had been entirely unrelated to till now to bring back a fleet that had talked about for a significant part of leveling and saves the day.

Then she decides to go back on her Anti-Horde Sentiment when a sentient burger brings her her Dead brother as a gift and later teams up with two orcs to save said Big Mac from the pan and is cool with taking down the "Bad" Horde to put the "Good" Horde rebels in power. Seriously what arc did she have?

As for best, it would be N'zoth's. He had the most consistent and interesting developments around him as opposed to all other "main" characters this expansion.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity