Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Copyright Notice, Ignore It?

Sorry about the bump. As requested here's the new thread.

I received tons of notices from rightscorp for notices I had nothing to do with. No torrent on my computers and no files they're looking for. I'm guessing my wifi was hacked or IP address spoofed. The message is telling me to click on a link and to pay the fine. First of all I didn't torrent anything. Second, it seems that it would be entrapment and admitting guilt if I pay.

I'm wondering if I should ignore the notices. Has anyone gone thru this and what was your result? Someone people have gone thru this many years ago and I wanted to find out how things turned out.

Yeh i'm sure you didn't torrent anything, just like everyone who got banned never actually cheated.

Contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation

Ignore it. I've received like 50 of these things. They're legally obligated to send you a notice.

If you were being sued, you'd receive a hand delivered notice of it. Usually notices go through your ISP, and your ISP would be the one to tell you to stop downloading illegal shit.

If it's not going through your ISP, just ignore it.

Personally, I couldn't click any links in an email and I wouldn't pay anything either if I was randomly getting them. I would do some serious research on google about this type of thing happening. I would be especially leery if your email address is not connected to your internet service provider. IE, you use @Gmail or @yahoo and not @Charter or any other email service provided by an isp. That would mean that they shouldn't realistically have your contact information.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you got an email, ignore it. If you got an actual letter that wasn't handed to you, personally, and signed for, ignore it.

And for the love of god, don't click on the link in the email. 99% sure this is a scam, and you paying them will do nothing but lose you money.

If you want, you can also just contact a lawyer and pay them a bunch of money to tell you the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation
    Never heard of them. Will they look into something like this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Ignore it. I've received like 50 of these things. They're legally obligated to send you a notice.
    I see. Thanks.

Just tread carefully. a LOT of ISPS are doing the 3 strike rule nowadays. 1st is a letter, 2nd is a signed letter, and internet remains off until they receive it, and 3rd is complete termination.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Just tread carefully. a LOT of ISPS are doing the 3 strike rule nowadays. 1st is a letter, 2nd is a signed letter, and internet remains off until they receive it, and 3rd is complete termination.
    I changed my wifi password and I'm using wpa2. I'm trying to find more ways to secure my network. There are times when I observed the wifi link lights flashing like mad and I don't have anything connected. Also moments when my connection is extremely slow despite I'm only watching youtube. I'm willing to tighten everything up as much as I can. The only thing that spooks me are the letters. I guess that's their intended purpose. lol

Quote Originally Posted by philandjims View Post
    I changed my wifi password and I'm using wpa2. I'm trying to find more ways to secure my network. There are times when I observed the wifi link lights flashing like mad and I don't have anything connected. Also moments when my connection is extremely slow despite I'm only watching youtube. I'm willing to tighten everything up as much as I can. The only thing that spooks me are the letters. I guess that's their intended purpose. lol
    I mean you have every right to fight this.

Ignore it never ever click that shit.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-12-11 at 03:49 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like another new form of scamming. Ignore it and never talk to them. They will never sue you because it isn't cost effective. They will threaten you to make a payment because that's their goal. If you think someone is spoofing or hacking you then change the password to your router or better yet install DD-WRT on it, if possible. If you are torrenting then get a VPN. You should have a VPN anyway because your ISP is watching you do more than torrent.

What Vash and the others said.
    Ignore it...and likely a scam.

turn off public broadcast, just know what your network name is and manually punch it in

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If they don't leave contact info for you to get additional info and to direct any questions that you might have at, then it is absolutely a scam. You should see this stuff for both the lawyer and company that's indicting you on behalf of their client, the rightful owner of the material. Emails, phone numbers, adresses etc. If this is the case, then document everything you're doing and stick to the truth while considering lawyering up on your own. You might end up needing it. In any case they should be able to figure out pretty quick if there's any case against you in the first place, and if there is, then how to proceed from there.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2019-12-11 at 07:17 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Keep in mind that SOURCE emails can be spoofed too.

It's not only within the realm of possibility but also likely that the emails you're receiving are a scam.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    If they don't leave contact info for you to get additional info and to direct any questions that you might have at, then it is absolutely a scam. You should see this stuff for both the lawyer and company that's indicting you on behalf of their client, the rightful owner of the material. Emails, phone numbers, adresses etc.
    Note that even if this stuff is there, mouse over but DO NOT CLICK IT. A link with regular html formatting that looks good on a website or in an email can easily be a link to something shady as fuck. Most browsers write out the complete URL for a link at the bottom if you mouse over it; and 99% of the time it's super obvious from seeing the destination URL whether an email is legit or not.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

15+ Year Old Account
    Just ignore it, unless your ISP starts emailing you.

I received tons of notices from rightscorp for notices I had nothing to do with. No torrent on my computers and no files they're looking for. I'm guessing my wifi was hacked or IP address spoofed. The message is telling me to click on a link and to pay the fine. First of all I didn't torrent anything. Second, it seems that it would be entrapment and admitting guilt if I pay.

I'm wondering if I should ignore the notices. Has anyone gone thru this and what was your result? Someone people have gone thru this many years ago and I wanted to find out how things turned out.
    Talk to a copyright lawyer, get their opinion.

its a scam, a scare tactic to get some people to pay them for nothing, they probably send those emails out in mass. its no different than nigerian prince scams unless you received a notice in the mail you had to sign to receive, which is usually a court summons.