Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Greta Thurnburg is Times Magazine Person of the Year 2019

I was expecting a social group to get it or even Nancy Pelosi but Greta Thurnburg is times person of 2019.

I’m not sorry for saying this but she doesn’t deserve it. Just like how Taylor Swift didn’t deserve artist of the decade. There are so many people who deserve Times Person of the Year. Not everyone even knows who she even is nor has she stayed on the news 24/7.

Hong Kong protestors ring a bell?!?!
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Edit: deleting comment as it was only meant tongue in cheek.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2019-12-15 at 09:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I was expecting a social group to get it or even Nancy Pelosi but Greta...
    Hong Kong protestors ring a bell?!?!
    Plagiarizing Don Jr's tweet.... aren't you better than that?
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I was expecting a social group to get it or even Nancy Pelosi but Greta Thurnburg is times person of 2019.
    Not everyone even knows who she even is nor has she stayed on the news 24/7
    But everyone knows who Nancy Pelosi is? I, for one, do not. And how has the climate change not been in the news 24/7?

7+ Year Old Account
    Who better than an autistic mouthpiece to be person of the year?

I was considering making a thread yesterday about this when I found out about the shortlist of 5 candidates:
    1. Nancy Pelosi
    2. Donald Trump
    3. The Whistleblower
    4. Greta Thunberg
    5. The Hong Kong protestors.

From the perspective of an Australian, I was torn between whether I would have given Person of the Year to either Greta or the Hong Kong protectors. Donald Trump is getting kind of boring. I don't even understand Nancy and the Whistleblower being on the shortlist, they are basically just a subcategory of Donald Trump, so if Donald Trump wasn't person of the year then definitely neither Nancy nor the Whistleblower should be.

It's amazing how much attention Greta is getting, she has basically reached rock star status within just a few months. Everyone seems to have an opinion on her. She seems to be everywhere:

In fact just yesterday in Australian news, there was outrage because a local council had commissioned a Christmas mural and it ended up being a picture of Greta's face:

https://7news.com.au/news/climate-ch...wall--c-598782

It's Christmas themed because Greta has a red bauble on her ear.

And now today she is Time Magazine's 2019 Person of the Year.
    Last edited by Turtel; 2019-12-12 at 12:05 AM.

Left-wing populist gets award by left-wing magazine? I am shocked I tell you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Not sure I'd want an accolade that was also given to Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin (twice) and Henry Kissinger.
    Then you don't understand what it's supposed to mean.

They give it to whom they think is the most influential, and for their time, Hitler, Stalin and Kissinger were some of the most influential people in the world. Now you can make an argument that Greta is overrated not that influential, but Time thinks she is.

It's not about who's good or bad.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Aylaman View Post
    Left-wing populist gets award by left-wing magazine? I am shocked I tell you.
    How shocked were you when Trump got it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    How shocked were you when Trump got it?
    And Trump deserved it. As much as a piece of shit he is, he was at the center of the year he got it.
    Putin khuliyo

If we are going to give it to a puppet, I say give it to recently deceased Carroll Spinney...at least he deserves recognition for what he did. Watch the videos where she is not giving a speech and has to respond by herself, she is clueless.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Climate change politics are Professional Managerial Class politics.

A disciplinary discourse to control workers in service of imperceptible goal, on whose behalf management can speak with moral fervor of a doomsday cult leader. Everyday life under capitalism is already an existential threat for workers.

The conservationist/environmentalist movements have been totally co-opted and subverted by the climate change cult who’s main goal is to pass the cost of any ‘solution’ onto the workers who are least able to pay ala macrons carbon tax. We should all order yellow vests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Climate change politics are Professional Managerial Class politics.

A disciplinary discourse to control workers in service of imperceptible goal, on whose behalf management can speak with moral fervor of a doomsday cult leader. Everyday life under capitalism is already an existential threat for workers.

The conservationist/environmentalist movements have been totally co-opted and subverted by the climate change cult who’s main goal is to pass the cost of any ‘solution’ onto the workers who are least able to pay ala macrons carbon tax. We should all order yellow vests.
    *I don’t know why I’m responding, seeing as you put me on ignore after you found out I was Jewish, but whatever*

1. I’m not sure how total ecological collapse is a “Professional Managerial Class Issue”.

2. You know there are ways to combat climate change other than green austerity, right? And no, I don’t mean ecofascism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    Who better than an autistic mouthpiece to be person of the year?
    Yes, because autistic children can’t think for themselves.

Why are allistic people always like this?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Another year, another bunch of people who think Person of the Year is some kind of award.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this hate for a young person who wants to make the world a better place...

Then we get a bunch of conspiracy theories where she is just a mouthpiece and paid by big business (and we all know how lobbying groups are all on board with environmental regulations /s)

Really guys, i've you're so envious of a teenage girl trying to make the world a better place, get out of your moms basement and do something with your life instead of hating on people who try.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtel View Post
    I was considering making a thread yesterday about this when I found out about the shortlist of 5 candidates:
    1. Nancy Pelosi
    2. Donald Trump
    3. The Whistleblower
    4. Greta Thunberg
    5. The Hong Kong protestors.
    Wait what, that was the top 5?

No wonder she won with that competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Not sure I'd want an accolade that was also given to Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin (twice) and Henry Kissinger.
    They all deserved it. Person of the year isn't "Look how awesome they are." it's person who for good or ill changed the world the most. When they chose Hitler the article was very condemning.

The biggest fuck up was picking Rudy Gulliani over Bin Laden in 01 by playing it safe. The attack on the towers and pentagon changed everything with the term post 9/11 World being coined.

That's... So the votes don't count then? HongKong protesters topped in the list with 27m votes.What's the point of even having the poll?

If it was donald trump, it would have been for the joke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowcrack View Post
    That's... So the votes don't count then? HongKong protesters topped in the list with 27m votes.What's the point of even having the poll?
    Peoples choice of the year vs. editorial choice of the year?

Judging by the fact how people like to talk about Greta (also the condescending ones) - it's clear why she had the most impact this year. While HK protests are visible and talked about, not even close to the extent of Greta.