Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Meriam-Webster's word of the year is "They"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...rd-of-the-year

Runner-ups include "quid pro quo", "impeach" , "egregious", "tergiversation", and "exculpate".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...rd-of-the-year

Runner-ups include "quid pro quo", "impeach" , "egregious", "tergiversation", and "exculpate".
    Well, it makes sense now that we have an ever-growing group of people in our community who also identifies as 'they' instead of the old, he/she, thus having been a topic in the news and magazines even more. Gives one food for thought of the social interaction structure and its growth.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Usual suspects getting triggered in 3.....2.....1.....

I haven't even heard of 'tergiversation'
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Usual suspects getting triggered in 3.....2.....1.....

I haven't even heard of 'tergiversation'
    My spellcheck doesn't think it's a word either.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees of Ingsoc, but to make all other modes of thought impossible.
    George Orwell:‘Nineteen Eighty-Four’

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Oh noes. Calling people what they want to be called. So dystopian.

Eh, I'm still firmly in the party that thinks it's a phase that will die out midway through the new 20s. At least it isn't one of the variants that sound like an alien from a z-grade scifi movie from the 50s.
    Last edited by Chinese Bootlickers; 2019-12-12 at 09:58 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    (((they)))

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it, what is they about?

Well it has been a year for seperating "Us" from "Those others"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I don't get it, what is they about?
    If you read the article, it's right at the top.

Our Word of the Year for 2019 is they. It reflects a surprising fact: even a basic term—a personal pronoun—can rise to the top of our data. Although our lookups are often driven by events in the news, the dictionary is also a primary resource for information about language itself, and the shifting use of they has been the subject of increasing study and commentary in recent years. Lookups for they increased by 313% in 2019 over the previous year.

English famously lacks a gender-neutral singular pronoun to correspond neatly with singular pronouns like everyone or someone, and as a consequence they has been used for this purpose for over 600 years.

More recently, though, they has also been used to refer to one person whose gender identity is nonbinary, a sense that is increasingly common in published, edited text, as well as social media and in daily personal interactions between English speakers. There's no doubt that its use is established in the English language, which is why it was added to the Merriam-Webster.com dictionary this past September.

Nonbinary they was also prominent in the news in 2019. Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal (WA) revealed in April during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on the Equality Act that her child is gender-nonconforming and uses they. Singer Sam Smith announced in September that they now prefer they and them as their third person personal pronouns. And the American Psychological Association’s blog officially recommended that singular they be preferred in professional writing over “he or she” when the reference is to a person whose gender is unknown or to a person who prefers they. It is increasingly common to see they and them as a person’s pronouns in Twitter bios, email signatures, and conference nametags.

People do enjoy their made up words lol.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    All words are made up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    All words are made up lol.
    Guess so some are dumber then others though like most new words people come up with.

Guess so some are dumber then others though like most new words people come up with.
    I'm not exactly sure what you think is dumb about "they."

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you think is dumb about "they."
    Not that one, more talking about stuff like zoomer boomer gucci and those but I doubt they ever are made into acual words more like crap words people use online.

“They” has been a word for quite some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    How is singular they “newspeak”, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese Bootlickers View Post
    Eh, I'm still firmly in the party that thinks it's a phase that will die out midway through the new 20s. At least it isn't one of the variants that sound like an alien from a z-grade scifi movie from the 50s.
    Non-binary people have existed for quite some time.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    “They” has been a word for quite some time
    You don't say was speaking of other words people like to throw around these days like zoomer and boomer to just name a few but as I said they are just words used by people online mostly to mock certain groups of people.

- - - Updated - - -

But who knows give it a few years and perhaps zoomer and boomer will make that list too

About as relevant as the actual people that want to be called 'they'...