Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nope this almost entirely wrong. A person is 100% driven by the ideas in their head. If you don't like someone then it would have to be about the ideas 100% of the time. Unless you are prejudice of course and judge them based on personal characteristics that they had no control over.
    That's an odd notion. Maybe you need to properly define 'ideas' here, because a terribly vague thing you are saying here. I took it that you are talking about policy ideas here, which is something we only know about because people speak them out loud. Frankly, we don't know the exact ideas in a person's head, so we cannot judge them on these merits alone.
    Behavior, we can judge. Past actions, we can judge. But just because someone says 'we should reduce taxes to stimulate growth' doesn't mean we know exactly what ideas drive them, even if your hypothesis is to be taken at face value. If a known liar who has shown to be more interested in being in power than doing good for their country says that, then that should be taken into account as well.
    You can debate ideas on their own, that is fine. But if you debate who to vote for, then focusing solely on some ideas a candidate espoused seems foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    They want to take my funs away so they can all go fuck themselves. I'll take 5 more citizens uniteds over more gun control
    Honestly I'm starting to support gun control more and more given how batshit crazy the right is becoming. None of you people should have guns.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yeah, that's not how things work. Especially during elections. Politicians can say they support all kinds of policies, doesn't mean they actually do. You vote for the person as much as you vote for the policies they claim to represent.

Someone with a history of lying and scamming people is something that actually does matter when voting.
    What i'm saying is that theory about voting based on the person and not ideas is an incorrect theory. If your argument is simply "it has happened" then yes I agree with you, people have made mistakes before. The reason i'm here is to convince people that it's a nonsensical theory and to adopt an idea-based voting philosophy. The more people we can win over the more rational elections will be.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Honestly I'm starting to support gun control more and more given how batshit crazy the right is becoming. None of you people should have guns.
    "They're going to take my guns!" Just begs the question of why they would fail a background check tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    What i'm saying is that theory about voting based on the person and not ideas is an incorrect theory. If your argument is simply "it has happened" then yes I agree with you, people have made mistakes before. The reason i'm here is to convince people that it's a nonsensical theory and to adopt an idea-based voting philosophy. The more people we can win over the more rational elections will be.
    People, including presidential candidates, are not rational. Elections will never, ever be rational and it's irrational to suggest they would be. The person running for office is just as important as the ideas they represent.

5+ Year Old Account
    This thread is closed. None of the current conversations are on topic and can be continued in preexisting threads.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."