Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Technically since you can buy tons of golds for carrys/good gear from the AH (even though not in all slots) WoW already is p2w.

But since for me the journey and the earning of those items is the real fun and i don't pvp (so they don't have an advantage over me or influence me in any way) i couldn't care less.

It's been pay to win for a while, but not as extreme in a scale as a typical mobile game. You can literally buy the in game currency with real world cash. Gold that you can then use to buy epic BoEs, boosts, supplies, collectibles, anything that helps you progress towards what you decide "winning" is at this game. Then there's the buyable character level boosts sort of stuff.

But really, buy PvE gear is just dumb if you're just going to use it to raid LFR harder. It's all temporary gains until the next patch obsoletes it and unless you're in the position to actually earn that gear yourself, you more than likely don't need it.

I don't know what people mean by "winning" in these threads. So you've spent 500 bucks and gotten i455 gear, what are you going to do with it? Any cutting edge guild looks for logs, not gear. And if you're going to join a 6/8 HC guild why do you need that gear?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

5+ Year Old Account
    It won't happen, the question itself makes no sense because there is no reason for Blizzard to do this.
    Also, "the game is dead" and "it's going to be a P2W" shows up since a decade...

It'll happen at some point. I take it when they finally put wow on cruise control. If Shadowlands flops, then that's coming sooner than we think it will.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    According to the forum it happened with the sparkle pony
    To be fair, Sparkle Pony is ridiculously OP. Sparkle Pony has already solo’d N’zoth.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by komlit View Post
    As stated in Title. How long now until they offer official Box gear boost or the likes? "For 19.99 Get 450 Raid ready items" You need flask? For 5.99 get 200!

I for one hope it does not but if it does how far out do you think we are from this reality.
    Ï would want to say never but I don't read into the future far, so for now, hope never.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Aleloron View Post
    To be fair, Sparkle Pony is ridiculously OP. Sparkle Pony has already solo’d N’zoth.
    ...realistically Sparkle Pony actually WAS an advantage when it came out...back before mounts became account wide since having it allows you to already have a flying mount/regular mount without having to buy it...was also one of the few mounts back then that can be both a flying and a ground mount...but when mounts became account wide then it wasn't really an advantage anymore for alts and was basically only good for BRAND new players

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by komlit View Post
    As stated in Title. How long now until they offer official Box gear boost or the likes? "For 19.99 Get 450 Raid ready items" You need flask? For 5.99 get 200!

I for one hope it does not but if it does how far out do you think we are from this reality.
    I don't think they will. Primarily because you can get all those things off the AH for gold or make them yourself. that would completely destroy the AH and yeah that won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    bout the same time as they make essences accountwide....
    and right after the dance studio.

Considering it's not a competitive game, your raidgear has NOTHING to do with my raid gear, so sure, go for it! Sell lootboxes for all I care! More money to the game = better!

Only restriction I would want is not selling the new gear until like 1 month into a new raid tier, for the world first race to still be valid (for those that care about it).

Other than that: GO GO GO, SELL loot ffs, noone should care as it's not affecting them the slightest.

Winning is relative to one's goals. If someone's goal is to reach lvl 120, then you can say pay 2 win is already here.

Now, if gear was to be sold, it wouldn't really be p2w but rather a shortcut towards the goals. Not saying that it would be something acceptable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    Technically since you can buy tons of golds for carrys/good gear from the AH (even though not in all slots) WoW already is p2w.
    you could do that since vanila...

- - - Updated - - -

at the begining of 2010 when they introduced first shop mount people said its starting already
    10 years later, it still didnt happen, and people sitll say its begining (now bcs of preorder transmog)

so most likely never, or briefly before complete end of wow

when tencent finally cashes outs and buys acti-blizz

10+ Year Old Account
    People have been predicting it going P2W since the retarded horse, or sparkly pony, or whatever you want to call it. Hasn't happened yet.
    Hell, people were screaming bloody murder when the transmog helmets were added, and there were people happily kicking people who bought them from dungeons.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Okay....so how far do you stretch that? Or rather what is the border of the definition?

Is paying for a server transfer p2w because you have an in-game advantage now on a more populated server?
    Is buying a token p2w because you can now buy a boost?
    And how was that not p2w when you could do it only with gold that you acquired in game?
    Just because you do it now by paying real money? So a guy who sells a token and uses the money to buy a boost is p2w and me who buys the boost with gold I made in game is not p2w?

Is a store mount p2w because people admire me more? Or is it rather p2lose...because people who see me on a store mount think I am a pathetic shill?

Just looking for an example of what ppl consider p2w currently in the game and not the example that OP is making.
    Is paying for a server transfer p2w because you have an in-game advantage now on a more populated server? I would say not really but i know other people would say yes it is. Bit gray.

Is buying a token p2w because you can now buy a boost? Yes it is. The token is the part that is p2w.

And how was that not p2w when you could do it only with gold that you acquired in game? If something can only be earned in game then it's not p2w.

Just because you do it now by paying real money? So a guy who sells a token and uses the money to buy a boost is p2w and me who buys the boost with gold I made in game is not p2w? It doesn't matter what you use it for. The fact that the token can be used for a in game advantage makes it p2w.

Is a store mount p2w because people admire me more? Or is it rather p2lose...because people who see me on a store mount think I am a pathetic shill? I wouldn't say the mounts are p2w since they are the same speed as ever other mount. They are greedy but not p2w. Being admired isn't really a game play advantage.

Just looking for an example of what ppl consider p2w currently in the game and not the example that OP is making. A game being p2w is when the game sells you an in game advantage for real money. The token can be used to buy gold and gold can be used to buy said advantages, so that makes the token p2w.

Never ever.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Is paying for a server transfer p2w because you have an in-game advantage now on a more populated server? I would say not really but i know other people would say yes it is. Bit gray.

Is buying a token p2w because you can now buy a boost? Yes it is. The token is the part that is p2w.

And how was that not p2w when you could do it only with gold that you acquired in game? If something can only be earned in game then it's not p2w.

Just because you do it now by paying real money? So a guy who sells a token and uses the money to buy a boost is p2w and me who buys the boost with gold I made in game is not p2w? It doesn't matter what you use it for. The fact that the token can be used for a in game advantage makes it p2w.

Is a store mount p2w because people admire me more? Or is it rather p2lose...because people who see me on a store mount think I am a pathetic shill? I wouldn't say the mounts are p2w since they are the same speed as ever other mount. They are greedy but not p2w. Being admired isn't really a game play advantage.

Just looking for an example of what ppl consider p2w currently in the game and not the example that OP is making. A game being p2w is when the game sells you an in game advantage for real money. The token can be used to buy gold and gold can be used to buy said advantages, so that makes the token p2w.
    /clap good sir. I wish more people were accepting of this reality, instead of just covering their ears LALALALA I CANT HEAR U.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    so...explain the p2w mechanism then
    In general, players who are willing to pay for special items or downloadable content may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free who might otherwise need to spend time progressing in order to unlock said items. A game is considered pay-to-win when a player can gain any gameplay advantage over his non-paying peers.

If you need a deeper explanation than that, I'm sorry to say that I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    No they wouldn't be.
    How do you figure? According to your own definition p2w means exchanges a some of RL currency for any in-game advantage.

Buying access to a new level cap and higher ilvl gear seems like a massive advantage over those who don’t purchase the expansion.