Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I want a strong, new likeable male lead

Yes, I also agree warcraft should focus more on telling racial and zone storeis and hope they make the switch soon, as I strongly believe racial campaigns or plots for each race that continue throughout each expansion would be far more interesting,

However, face it, they aren't going to change this any time soon, so we wil continue to get the limelight story of a handful of legends, and if that's what we are going to get, then I want a likable, strong male lead to emerge.

Face it, all the current ones that fit that bill are so over used many have lost there likeable, and their long involvement can hardly be called "new". Also it seems that the emerging ones aren't necessarily painted in the strongest light. I like Anduin but they could have done better. I didn't like Varian, but they did make him "strong".

BFA was flooded with female heroes and the spotlight was largely on them nearly every zone was centred around them, and some of them are quite likeable, Jaina, Azshara, Sylvanas, Talanji - across the board. Hail to blizzard for embracing diversity, yes it's very PC now.

But can we catually get a decent male lead that emerges? We have had some newer likeable males, amongst my favourites have been Prince Farondis, Magister Umbric and I was even a bit curious about Tandred Proudmoore...Rokhan hardly does anything, and Vol'jin seems forced at this point, but he's not exactly new.

Thrall's really old, and so is Saurfang, not really had a cool new orc emerge.. Garrosh was modelled as a prick, he does not fit the "likeable" character.

I'm thinking maybe a really cool blood elf male character to emerge? I'm a bit tired of elven female Mary Sue's lacking depth and potential. Wrathion is too mystique to fill the role for a male lead, being a dragon and not one of the major races, it would be hard for him to be a male lead for the story.

Building a strong new character takes time, and the way they tell the story, it would have to be showing up in a few expansions.
    Of the newer characters of each race, the list curremntly isn't strong, although I quite like some of them: New would be a characer from about Legion onwards, rising to prominence or standing out that has been overlooked.

Humans: Anduin
    Orcs: n/a
    Night Elves: Prince Farondis
    Blood Elves: Aethas Sunreaver?
    Draenei: n/a
    Trolls: Rokhan
    Dwarves: n/a
    Tauren: Baine?
    Gnomes: Overspark?
    Goblin:
    Worgen: n/a
    Forsaken: Nathanos?
    Pandaren: n/a
    Death Knights: Thaurissian/Kolitra
    Demon Hunters: Vandel/Kayn Sunfury

Other notable mentions: Void elves: Magister Umbric

Potentials: Vereesa's twins emerging, Arator

I mean, this is all I could think of at the top of my head and it's pretty lame, don't you think?

Eh, Blizzard seems to be pussifying the male cast we have or plan to get, unless its a villain of course. If anything give us a villain we love so much that we don't want to see die, Emet Selch from FFXIV, Handsome Jack from B2, Thanos from Avengers, ect. ect.

Arator seems like a simple plot device to have Alleria snap if Blizzard wants to give her a villain arc. I do not see potential in him.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    But can we catually get a decent male lead that emerges?
    Nope. If a character isn't underrepresented somehow it's not allowed in today's social climate.

Aethas is kind of a screw-up, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Forsaken: Nathanos?
    Nathanos, new, strong, and likeable? He's old as shit, mentally and emotionally weak, and he has such an unpleasant personality that his own mother likely slapped the doctor when he was handed to her as a baby.

On topic, I hope they do something with Arator, he's kind of a blank canvas.

Anduin and Baine are strong, likeable male leads. They're the only righteous leaders in their respective factions who will actually do something.

Velen and Lor'Themar are pretty good but the writers usually forget that they even exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the problem. We have Flynn, we have Magni, and now Wrathion is finally coming back.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Anduin is a caricature of a man. Varian/Arthas is the type of guy we need. But what we gonna get is more 'strong' women, and thank society of insecure trash for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Eh, Blizzard seems to be pussifying the male cast we have or plan to get, unless its a villain of course. If anything give us a villain we love so much that we don't want to see die, Emet Selch from FFXIV, Handsome Jack from B2, Thanos from Avengers, ect. ect.
    It's funny really, wow devs are going down the same path as marvel comics themselves have done with its forced feminist and she agenda, the thing that tanked their comic sales, yet just seeing how endgame worked out with strong male leads both good and bad, the audience telling these creators 'this is what we want', rather then learning from marvels mistakes, blizzard seems determined to repeat the mistakes of the comics industry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
    Anduin is a caricature of a man. Varian/Arthas is the type of guy we need. But what we gonna get is more 'strong' women, and thank society of insecure trash for that.
    Society showed both they want strong male leads, but also would be just as happy with strong female leads, for example wonder woman, when their not pandering to a social demographic of irrational misandrists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Anduin and Baine are strong, likeable male leads. They're the only righteous leaders in their respective factions who will actually do something.

Velen and Lor'Themar are pretty good but the writers usually forget that they even exist.
    Blizzard has a golden opportunity to build baine up now. Problem is the ones crying for a 'strong leader' only mean that as in an complete psychopath who wants to kill without reason or for the hell of it.

I mean Saurfang was essentially the main character of this expansion, with every cinematic including him. Not new, but the direction they took his character was different.

Be careful with what you wish for with more new characters. We have plenty of established ones. Even in a racial leader focused expansion we only really had time for around half of them, with the void elf guy and pandaren leaders being relegated to cameos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bring Varian back from the Shadowlands and we are set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I mean Saurfang was essentially the main character of this expansion, with every cinematic including him. Not new, but the direction they took his character was different.

Be careful with what you wish for with more new characters. We have plenty of established ones. Even in a racial leader focused expansion we only really had time for around half of them, with the void elf guy and pandaren leaders being relegated to cameos.
    Lete be honest, with so many races now, all which people wanting assigned main characters to, there is no way blizzard could make time for all of them every expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    It's funny really, wow devs are going down the same path as marvel comics themselves have done with its forced feminist and she agenda, the thing that tanked their comic sales, yet just seeing how endgame worked out with strong male leads both good and bad, the audience telling these creators 'this is what we want', rather then learning from marvels mistakes, blizzard seems determined to repeat the mistakes of the comics industry

- - - Updated - - -

Society showed both they want strong male leads, but also would be just as happy with strong female leads, for example wonder woman, when their not pandering to a social demographic of irrational misandrists.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard has a golden opportunity to build baine up now. Problem is the ones crying for a 'strong leader' only mean that as in an complete psychopath who wants to kill without reason or for the hell of it.
    Baine, at this point, is never going to be accepted by the community. His only reason to be in the story is to be Cairne's son. Anduin has at least broken that mold a bit, but is still a really weak character and has no claim to leadership outside of his parentage.

I hate to get into what ifs, but there was a way to help both of these characters but BFA lost that chance. If Sylvanas was working with "insert random Ally leader" (be especially spicy if it were Genn) to kill Anduin and usurp Stormwind. If Baine moved unilaterally to help a "friend" and Anduin repelled this attempt through some kind of power or show of force, it would have built both the honor of Baine and establish Anduin as more than a bleeding heart inept leader, but an actual heir to Variann's legacy.

There was a way through this, to land at the same spot, but instead Anduin looks weaker, and Baine's ability to trot around is so painfully forced in the story that it's kind of laughable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
    What strong women have we got? Sylvanas got her power from a man...as much as I like Tyrande and standing up to Anduin there wasn't a whole lot I'd call "strong"...or least put her anywhere above her norm. Saurfang fought a battle he knew he was going to lose...Baine stood up for what was right even though he or his people would be killed.

If anything...there was really nothing special I've seen from BFA saying "OMG WAHMEN STRONK" other than like I said, Sylvanas getting power...power from a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    What strong women have we got? Sylvanas got her power from a man...as much as I like Tyrande and standing up to Anduin there wasn't a whole lot I'd call "strong"...or least put her anywhere above her norm. Saurfang fought a battle he knew he was going to lose...Baine stood up for what was right even though he or his people would be killed.

If anything...there was really nothing special I've seen from BFA saying "OMG WAHMEN STRONK" other than like I said, Sylvanas getting power...power from a man.
    Jaina was all over the expansion, how could you forget about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    Jaina was all over the expansion, how could you forget about her.
    Only really if you were alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    It's almost like audiences like compelling and complex characters, regardless of what's between their legs.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

7+ Year Old Account
    Vol'jin is all we have left. Maybe Lor'themar

Unless they remember Jorin deadeye or Nazgrel exist

EDIT: Well, I forgot the Alliance so... Uhm... Any dwarf
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2019-12-27 at 12:48 AM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Is early to mid 30's "really old" now? If so then yes, Thrall is really old.