Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    That's just it. Every succesfull MMO on the market is and OLD game with established playerbase. New games just wither and die. People will keep playing the game they have already invested in, but there is no market for new games.
    Define old. How old? FF14 is still fairly new, at least the revamped a realm reborn.

If they were going to try some kind of WoW 2, Classic Plus, or some kind of re-imagining or re-envisioning of Warcraft from the ground up then I think next-gen graphics is the bare minimum of what we would have to be looking at in order to pull the kind of results they would be hoping for.

I don't think new systems like those in Legion or BFA hit the mark at all in the moment. Even if hindsight tells us Legion had the right idea, and even if the prospect of next-gen combat is so tantalizing, and even if such experimentation would be perfect for a brand new title, ultimately in terms of confidence I don't can't say when it comes to Warcraft I have any at all in this regard.

Maybe they should try to just make a good game with good graphics without trying to make the whole lot of everyone angry for half a minute and see if they can do that right first before trying anything extra-crazy like completely redesigning the game's systems on top of all that. Perhaps the extra juggling is just too much for them.

all those poor Chinese farmers without an income from selling in game gold ..

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    To be fair, nobody does because Blizzard doesn't release numbers.
    Yes. So why do you make shit up.

Most of the players would have given up on the first couple of days as 2h que would be considered a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Heaven View Post
    Yes. So why do you make shit up.
    Hi, my name is reading comprehension. Are you new to this? I literally explained it in the next sentence that you never bothered to quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Me, in my infinite reasoning
    My estimate is based on the fact that only about 10% of the initial "millions" who came back to play Classic have stayed. Even said, 1-200k active players is enough to sustain most MMOs which is especially impressive considering Classic is simply (and literally) retail WoW's sloppy seconds.

Hi, my name is reading comprehension. Are you new to this? I literally explained it in the next sentence.
    Hi my name is cringe, I have no friends.

Define old. How old? FF14 is still fairly new, at least the revamped a realm reborn.
    FF14 original release was on 30th of September 2010.
    Even Realm reborn was released in 2013.

It is old game.

FF14 original release was on 30th of September 2010.
    Even Realm reborn was released in 2013.

It is old game.
    I know the dates. And a game from 6 years ago is not an old game. That would mean that late in Wrath, WoW was already an old game.

I know the dates. And a game from 6 years ago is not an old game. That would mean that late in Wrath, WoW was already an old game.
    How many games from 2013 do you see people still playing en masse?

How many games from 2013 do you see people still playing en masse?
    What does it matter? People still play tons of games that are way older than that. You've veered the discussion so much off course that this isn't even relevant anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh if it was released today, as it really released it would've never lasted 15 years....the MMO community these days can't deal with any bugs,issues,mechanical problems,server issues like they used to so they would call the game bad, and leave, and give it all the bad reviews turning away any new player.That's not counting on the time commitment the game used to be, and no classic doesn't reattain this attribute and it never will

10+ Year Old Account
    Failure. WoW both had a playerbase from WC3 at the time (Keep in mind that back in those days RTS was king) AND the MMO market was just starting to develop.

Now, however, RTS is ded and the MMO market is oversaturated.

It's kinda like HotS. Despite the fact that DOTA established the entire MOBA market, LoL was the first published MOBA, and is WAY ahead of the number 2 MOBA, DOTA2, with HotS officially on maintenance mode now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    14 chars at 120 :P (since Feb 2005)
    I level my alts only in the last weeks of the expansion and will most likely just postpone it for shadowlands XP nerfs. I dont really need alts or lets call it what is it, gold farming, since I dont do progression raiding anymore.
    -

Depends on how you mean that. If a game like WoW released today but everything inspired by WoW and it's success had happened anyway regardsless of its existence? It would bomb hard like all MMOs since the cost is utterly disproportional to what it gives you.

If WoW had never happned before and it only now drops onto the market then I'd like to second this answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's really impossible to say, because WoW had a huge impact on the video game ecosystem. Without WoW we wouldn't have seen half the online games that came out between 2008 and 2013, because publishers wouldn't have been willing to gamble those huge budgets on an unproven model.
    WoW had too much of an impact on the industry as a whole that it's nigh impossible to gauge how it would behave today since the industry might be completely different today as well.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Back in 2003, my high school buddy had said something to me about WoW before it launched that is surprisingly still relevant all these years later: "Blizzard is making a MMO. All MMOs are terrible. Yet all Blizzard games are great. So I'm going to play it, and probably hate it, but still love it because it's Blizzard."
    I miss that Blizzard

I found out a few years back that Blizz (Silicon and Synapse) made one of the games I spent hours playing all day as a kid

Rock n roll racing

I can't count the number of times I rented Rock n Roll racing from Movie Time lol I got a legit blister on my finger from holding down the key on the controller so long
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Or, we have tried other mmos and this is the only mmo that is somewhat good.
    Reality is WoW stole most of its good ideas from other mmos, Blizzard is just good at taking ideas and making it look like they were the first ones who did it. They're really terrible when it comes to making new ideas or systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Reality is WoW stole most of its good ideas from other mmos, Blizzard is just good at taking ideas and making it look like they were the first ones who did it. They're really terrible when it comes to making new ideas or systems.
    I mean, you can say this about just about any game and developer. Doom 2016, for example, was hardly new but it iterated on the FPS concept in enough unique ways to become its own genuinely compelling product.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    If it would be like vanilla it would fail hard

If it would be like modern wow Legion/BfA it would seize quite decent piece of playerbase.
    Yet, the reverse is true..

Back in 2003, my high school buddy had said something to me about WoW before it launched that is surprisingly still relevant all these years later: "Blizzard is making a MMO. All MMOs are terrible. Yet all Blizzard games are great. So I'm going to play it, and probably hate it, but still love it because it's Blizzard."
    I didn't start playing until Feb' 05 for this reason. I played Asheron's Call for a month and hated it, I'd heard EQ was worse, so I was adamantly anti-MMO. A friend I played Diablo 2 with kept at me to try WoW and assured me it wasn't like the others. (I never played any of the WC games so that was not a draw.) I started out with a NE hunter and was instantly addicted. As much as people say it copied EQ, I felt like it was a natural extension of D2.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson