Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Marvel to get first transgender superhero

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50970519

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is set to get its first transgender superhero.
    "And very soon. In a movie that we're shooting right now," Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige said during a Q&A at the New York Film Academy.
    Asked by a fan whether there were any plans for more LGBT characters in Marvel's films, "specifically the T, trans characters", Kevin said: "Yes, absolutely. Yes."
    This year, The Eternals will introduce Marvel movies' first gay character.
    There have been reports since 2019 that Phase 4 of the MCU - the films following the Avengers Infinity saga - would star a trans character.
    Marvel has also said it will introduce its first deaf superhero in The Eternals and its first Asian-American superhero, in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
    "You look at the success of Captain Marvel and Black Panther. We want the movies to reflect the audience and we want every member of our global audience to see themselves reflected on the screen," Kevin Feige previously said.

In July last year, Geeks WorldWide suggested that Marvel was seeking a trans woman for a project being filmed in 2020.
    They pointed out that the only existing trans superhero in Marvel Comics is the recently introduced Sera - from a group of all-male angels called the Ancharites - who transitioned to a female identity.
    She exists very much in Thor's world - being kept inside a temple in the realm of Heven before meeting Thor's long-lost half-sister Angela, going on a bunch of adventures and eventually becoming her romantic interest.
    The next Thor film, Love and Thunder, is scheduled to come out in 2021.
    Tessa Thompson's character Valkyrie - who was made the King of New Asgard by Thor in the last Avengers film - revealed what the "first order of business" would be for her in the film.
    "As new king, she needs to find her queen," she said.
    In the comics Valkyrie identifies as bisexual.

Before that film comes out The Eternals - about an ancient race of super-powered beings who gained powers from alien experiments - is being released in November.
    It stars Angelina Jolie, Game of Thrones' Richard Madden and Kit Harington, Kumail Nanjiani, Salma Hayek and Brian Tyree Henry, among others.
    Kevin Feige confirmed that the film would star Marvel's first gay character.
    "He's married, he's got a family, and that is just part of who he is," he said last year.

I still fail to understand how will this help anyone, but marvel with the profits..

Discussing forbidden topics isn't allowed in this subforum. Infracted.

As this whole topic is forbidden I will be closing this.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-01-02 at 04:46 PM.

Old news, but its good to see Russian troll bait post starting to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50970519

I still fail to understand how will this help anyone, but marvel with the profits..

And yet when Marvel's first blind superhero got his own movie, there was no fanfare. This is marketing out the ass at cringe levels. Make the damn movies, let them stand on their own and see if they're good. If they suck, move on and try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Why do we care about the gender of superheroes? Also probably forbidden thread subject.
    Yeah, in most cases gender, sexuality, etc of a hero are completely irrelevant. Heck, quite often anything related to their families is only added for the sake of some revenge plot or something.

But even if those things are mentioned, it isn't about a gay/straight and cis/trans superhero or villain, it's about a superhero/villain who also happens to be gay/straight and cis/trans, sexuality and gender shouldn't identify a character. Otherwise it's just pure pandering.
    Last edited by ls-; 2020-01-02 at 04:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Asked by a fan whether there were any plans for more LGBT characters in Marvel's films, "specifically the T, trans characters"
    I don't remember any L, G or B except probably Bruce Banner who dated hulk to the point where they merged

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    And yet when Marvel's first blind superhero got his own movie, there was no fanfare. This is marketing out the ass at cringe levels. Make the damn movies, let them stand on their own and see if they're good. If they suck, move on and try again later.
    Do you mean daredevil because he’s not actually blind so it’s not really comparable.

But I agree just make the movie and see if it’s good or not.

I guess the gender of the hero matters if the villain's master plan is to kick them in the groin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Do you mean daredevil because he’s not actually blind so it’s not really comparable.

But I agree just make the movie and see if it’s good or not.
    Daredevil is literally blind, he has an enhanced sense of hearing akin to sonar in bats, but the man is legally blind. Beat on a drum next to him and watch him flail around clutching the sides of his head.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not familiar with the Thor lore but there is a transgender character in his comic from what I hear (so my girlfriend tells me) So no one should have an issue with this really.

I think here she is

Who am I kidding, its the internet.... Betting Quarterpunder to make 12 videos about it soon.

Also in before lock!
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-01-02 at 04:21 PM.

Im all for people doing their thing but it seems like hollywood is trying to capitalize on it and turn people who actually live the life into a side show and make money off of it. I must be old school or something but, whatever the characters gender or sexuality is doesnt matter as long as the movie is good xD

7+ Year Old Account
    Daredevil is literally blind, he has an enhanced sense of hearing akin to sonar in bats, but the man is legally blind. Beat on a drum next to him and watch him flail around clutching the sides of his head.
    Sure you can say his eyes don’t work but given that he can still see in a way due to his own mutations (chemical induced mutation not x gene) it’s not really fair to say he’s actually blind. His “disability” doesn’t actually effect him in the same way some one who is really blind would be effected.

In comparison there are some deaf hero’s and instead of being able to see so well they can make out sound waves and still take them in they just can’t hear at all.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    To be fair the Daredevil movie was pretty fucking shit, so yeah nobody wants to remember that one. They did make some noise about having a deaf superhero in the Eternals movie

Considering the last three LGBT representations Disney hyped up prior to release ended up being unnamed characters or a quick background kiss I wouldn't hold my breath.

Like, people interested in LGBT representation keep forgetting the one in Avengers: Endgame because it was so nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure you can say his eyes don’t work but given that he can still see in a way due to his own mutations (chemical induced mutation not x gene) it’s not really fair to say he’s actually blind. His “disability” doesn’t actually effect him in the same way some one who is really blind would be effected.

In comparison there are some deaf hero’s and instead of being able to see so well they can make out sound waves and still take them in they just can’t hear at all.
    The funniest description of Daredevil I've ever seen was "his superpower is that he's blind but he can see"

10+ Year Old Account
    Making a LGBT character is fine so long as it isn't done because it satisfies a check mark off a list. Last year the internet went nuts over Bowsette and that's technically transgender, but that was also another form of anime tiddy, which we know doesn't fly in this modern SJW era. I don't expect Marvel to go the anime tiddy route. If it fits the story like Ranma then sure, but if it's done to satisfy a progressive movement then watch as this becomes another Batwoman TV Show. Generally when this sort of thing is done it's because they knew it wouldn't make money due to bad writing and etc, so they threw in something controversial to fill seats. Look at Ghostbusters 2016.

Conversely, there are things that do affect Matthew Murdock that don't affect people with normal 5-senses.

Akin to that, there was a scene in one comic where a telepath (Psylocke) enters Matthew's mind and the sensory overload throws her off so much that she loses the fight against him.

But...when speaking about what being blind means...yes, Daredevil is blind. We don't necessarily change the meanings of words just because of one comic book character.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

I get your point, but at the end of the day, of course even a blind superhero has to be able to do more than a normal blind man can do, as much as Captain America can do more than a regular man can do. He has a mutation enhancement, but his blindness is still a handicap to him villains take advantage all the time with sounds to disrupt his sonar, be it bell's ringing, or an explosion that messes up his sense of hearing. If a deaf hero who can obviously outperform an ordinary deaf person as a hero can be celebrated as the first deaf superhero, why can't Daredevil, the first blind superhero get the same amount of fanfare?

I'll tell you why. Because Marvel knows blindness is such a debilitating handicap that many blind people don't attend movie theaters, so it's not a demographic they go after. Meanwhile, deafness is much easier to either remedy if not circumvent where deaf people can still go to the movies and enjoy movies, be it with hearing aids, or at least subtitles or closed captioning.

This is just more arm waving "look at us, we're empowering!" bullshit from Disney/Marvel.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    The funniest description of Daredevil I've ever seen was "his superpower is that he's blind but he can see"
    An apt way to describe him, baring being able to read/watch screens he might as well have super sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    [/IMG]

Betting Quarterpunder to make 12 videos about it soon.
    First thing I thought after reading the OP. What a clown he is.

When the power overcompensate the handicap, the point of featuring the handicap really is debatable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    When the power overcompensate the handicap, the point of featuring the handicap really is debatable, though.
    Sure. And all that is really doing is arguing whether or not Daredevil is disabled/handicapped, not if he's blind or not.

But I'll point out again: due to his enhanced senses, there are things that debilitate DD that do not bother/harm normal humans.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

10+ Year Old Account
    The title of this thread, proves why DC is miles beyond Marvel in terms of quality.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/