Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Cool CNN settles lawsuit with Nick Sandmann

Source

COVINGTON, Ky. (FOX19) - CNN agreed Tuesday to settle a lawsuit with Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann.

The amount of the settlement was not made public during a hearing at the federal courthouse in Covington, Kentucky.

Sandmann’s lawsuit sought $800 million from CNN, the Washington Post and NBC Universal.

Trial dates are still not set for Sandmann’s lawsuit against NBC Universal and the Washington Post.

The Washington Post suit sought $250 million. A federal judge let a portion of the suit go forward after The Post filed a motion to dismiss it.

PREVIOUS | Judge to allow portion of Nick Sandmann lawsuit against Washington Post to continue | Lawsuit filed on behalf of Nicholas Sandmann seeks $250M in damages from WaPo | Sandmann legal team now targeting NBCUniversal in ‘journey for justice’

Sandmann’s attorney, Lin Wood, said, “This case will be tried not one minute earlier or later than when it is ready.”

The lawsuits were filed following an incident in Jan. 2019 in Washington, D.C. involving Covington Catholic High School students. Videos of that incident garnered national attention.

The initial video showed the self-identified Sandmann, now a senior at CovCath, and Nathan Phillips, an indigenous man who was participating in the Indigenous Peoples March. Sandmann and his classmates were in D.C. for the March For Life.

Other videos later surfaced showing different angles of the incident.

MORE | Diocese of Covington: CovCath students did not instigate incident at Lincoln Memorial | Protest at Diocese of Covington shows both sides coming together | Sandmann in court for $250M defamation suit against WaPo

Wood says they also plan to sue Gannett, owners of The Enquirer.

He says he will bring that to the judge in the next 60 days.

Sandmann’s attorney talked about the “emotional distress, damage to reputation and distress to his family” that Nick has and will continue to suffer.

Attorneys say the money they’re seeking is not designed to compensate Nick, but to “deter the defendants” from doing the same thing (that they’re accused of) in the future.
    Good, glad someone was held liable for spreading a false narrative, good for him!

His lawyers were seeking almost a billion in damages with the stated goal of trying to deter them from doing this again (but with the actual goal of lining their own pockets by capitalizing on their client's 15 minutes of fame). You'd think if this was such a significant victory for them, they would have been sure to include a stipulation in the settlement that allowed them to disclose the amount.

Good for him, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    His lawyers were seeking almost a billion in damages with the stated goal of trying to deter them from doing this again (but with the actual goal of lining their own pockets by capitalizing on their client's 15 minutes of fame). You'd think if this was such a significant victory for them, they would have been sure to include a stipulation in the settlement that allowed them to disclose the amount.

Good for him, indeed.
    It's common to ask for a lot and settle for less in these types of lawsuits. Imagine if you had a huge lie spread about you all over the media and you received death threats, I am sure you would just shrug it off and not seek damages.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good, hope the other lawsuits ends up like this as well, the media has to be held accountable for their actions.

Maybe even the twitter verified MeToo crowd will think twice before making baseless accusations and ending ppls careers and lives with little to no evidence if they would be helt accountable.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Good, hope the other lawsuits ends up like this as well, the media has to be held accountable for their actions.

Maybe even the twitter verified MeToo crowd will think twice before making baseless accusations and ending ppls careers and lives with little to no evidence if they would be helt accountable.
    Whose career got ended?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Whose career got ended?
    Can't tell if serious?

10+ Year Old Account
    These stunts have done more to end this man's career than all of the media controversy. Hiring him now comes with an additional risk of a massive, public lawsuit over petty bullshit. No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Can't tell if serious?
    I'm waiting.

So far the only people who actually appear to have suffered lasting consequences for publicly being "cancelled" are the Dixie Chicks.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say anything about this without knowing the dollar value.

There's a big difference between "here's $20k, now fuck off" and "yeah, we were 100% at fault, would you take $10 million and consider it settled?"

Agreeing to a settlement doesn't include any admission of wrongdoing whatsoever, unless it's required as part of said settlement. It's often made just to put an end to the issue because paying for lawyers and such is an ongoing expense.

I'm waiting.

So far the only people who actually appear to have suffered lasting consequences for publicly being "cancelled" are the Dixie Chicks.
    Guess I'll link Some More News again; Cancel Culture Isn't a Thing, you Snowflakes

Just linking, not embedding, because it's not really the topic, though it's related.

So, the OP is once again opposing freedom of speech. Yeah, that's a shame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Always fun to see progressives act more like Republicans when something pushes back against their bubble.

It's not a good look to embrace the whole "Alternative Facts" strategy.
    What's wrong with supporting freedom of the press?

Nice. Hopefully a kid made millions. Fuck CNN and their fake news

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Hard to say anything about this without knowing the dollar value.

There's a big difference between "here's $20k, now fuck off" and "yeah, we were 100% at fault, would you take $10 million and consider it settled?"

Agreeing to a settlement doesn't include any admission of wrongdoing whatsoever, unless it's required as part of said settlement. It's often made just to put an end to the issue because paying for lawyers and such is an ongoing expense.

Guess I'll link Some More News again; Cancel Culture Isn't a Thing, you Snowflakes

Just linking, not embedding, because it's not really the topic, though it's related.
    The fact they settled proves they had something.

I don't get why people are for large corp news slandering innocent people, is it because the kid is on the opposite political spectrum than you?

Had this kid been wearing an Obama hat, had a lie spread about him on Fox News and he received death threats would you feel the same way? something tells me you would have a different opinion... I on the other hand would have the same. Call me crazy but I am against people having their lives rules by lies being spread about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It proves that the plaintiff has a price, nothing else.

Unless you're going to insist that all out of court settlements are evidence of guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Nice. Hopefully a kid made millions. Fuck CNN and their fake news
    Why do you Trumpsters hate freedom of speech and freedom of the press so damn much?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get why people are for large corp news slandering innocent people, is it because the kid is on the opposite political spectrum than you?

Had this kid been wearing an Obama hat, had a lie spread about him on Fox News and he received death threats would you feel the same way? something tells me you would have a different opinion... I on the other hand would have the same. Call me crazy but I am against people having their lives rules by lies being spread about them.
    Maybe they support free speech and freedom of the press.

Just a thought.

It proves that the plaintiff has a price, nothing else.

Unless you're going to insist that all out of court settlements are evidence of guilt.
    Are you telling me lies wasn't spread about him on news sites?

Does that mean you think Trump should be sued for the literal thousands of lies he's told?

Interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving the goalposts as usual.

We're talking about how your claim that a settlement is indicative of guilt is bullshit. Please stay focused.

Moving the goalposts as usual.

We're talking about how your claim that a settlement is indicative of guilt is bullshit. Please stay focused.
    So you're ignoring the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're ignoring the question.
    I'm ignoring a strawman, yes. Just like you're ignoring the point that "they settled out of court so they must be guilty" is a crock of shit.

I'm glad the kid got something from the debacle, but that statement is far from the truth. Company I work for gave a settlement for some slip-and-fall incident that was clearly fraud. It was far less than what the customer asked for but often times companies would rather settle than continue the case. The Covington Student could have given this settlement the finger and continue the charges.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.