Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The fantasy of playing a blood elf - What is so capitvating?

Looking at realm pop stats, this race is the most popular race amongst active players at the end game - i.e. basically active users of the game.

Blood elf race (incl high elves/void elves i.e. all things THalassian) generate the most conversation, whines, hypes and crazed fandoms.

Okay, Dudes! Tell me why are you so worked up about this race so.. what's your reason for playing em or liking em? And has any other race in wow competed for your affection over them???

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Looking at realm pop stats, this race is the most popular race amongst active players at the end game - i.e. basically active users of the game.

Blood elf race (incl high elves/void elves i.e. all things THalassian) generate the most conversation, whines, hypes and crazed fandoms.

Okay, Dudes! Tell me why are you so worked up about this race so.. what's your reason for playing em or liking em? And has any other race in wow competed for your affection over them???
    Racial+Aesthetic.

Torrent is good, it's dumb to be horde side melee and not a blood elf, plus they look good in most armour sets.

People want to play the 'pretty' race that has the most in common with human physical characteristics.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

Elves are the best. You're talking about a fantasy game, and elves are the most fantasy since ever, since you even watched Tolkien movies. We like mogs to look good and we like to look good, also i love my racials as a blood elf and i used to love torrent more than now but dispel still fine, and tbh i used arcane torrent more before it was a purge.
    Also because im a woman and i feel uncomfortable playing a male, and nightbornes has their legs too spread, so i just stay with female blood elves.

>RPG
    >Elves

Gee it beats me buddy.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Dey pretty. And very ham, which to me at least, is endearing.

Aesthetics matter a lot in games where they're available to be customized, and in my opinion, blood/void elves have a more reasonable body type out of the bunch. Trolls are trolls, orcs, draenei, human, pandas, tauren are giant fridges (or short fridges for dwarves), not everyone's into that, nightelves/borne look a bit strange with their wasp-thin waist and hips and very broad shoulders. Cork-stopper gnomes and gobbos. And undeads are undead.

Females tend to be rather generic, with smaller 'mutations', female tauren and pandas excepted.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've picked them for a few of my characters because they are the most "normal-sized" Horde race (female that is, don't have any male ones). Simple as that.

Not that heavily biased though; 6 of my 16 level 120 Hordes are Blood Elf, but no other races are represented more than twice.

I think a few more could have been Blood Elf if the casting animation wasn't so badly angled (and to be fair I'd have my hunter as Blood Elf too if it wasn't made before that absurd stance they used to have).

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Okay, Dudes! Tell me why are you so worked up about this race so.. what's your reason for playing em or liking em?
    Arcane Torrent.

Cynical take: The males look like anime protagonists and the females look like barbies. Recipe for instant #1 played race.

A less cynical take would probably be to add in their racial plus them being the most human-looking Horde race, and since human is what most people want to play they are popular as a result.

I like the lore of them. They're survivors, trying to make due while also clinging onto their proud legacy. The cool thing about them is that they're not just the elven stereotype - they may look nice, but they're really magical crackheads and often far more brutal than their exterior would have you think.

Oh and what everyone else is saying, one of the only races that looks decent in most armor. If you're into transmogging, you almost owe it to yourself to roll a blood elf.

What I don't like is their changed racial, actually. It's rather useless in most PvP situations.
    Also, when they run (at least the males), they get this weird forward head posture that makes them look unnaturally hunched... a reminder of their allegiance, I suppose, but unsightly nevertheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't deny the beauty of elves has its appeal. I'd always been enchanted by elves and their otherworldly grace and typical affinity with nature etc since reading Tolkien as a sprog.

And I'd enjoyed the Warcraft high elf aesthetic since playing WC3. I was charmed by the ludicrous eyebrows!

But, the thing that appeals most to me about the blood elves was their original aesthetic of a beautiful exterior that hid a much more unrefined and savage survival instinct beneath the surface. They went from that Tolkien semi-divine loftiness in knowledge, power, craft and longevity and were dragged down to the precipice of annihilation by Arthas' ruthless assault. And yet, against all odds, the blood elves (with a bit of help from the former Ranger-General and her Forsaken) pulled themselves back from the brink and reclaimed their lands, their sacred font of power and their dignity.

I love a good underdog story and, in my opinion, the plight of the Sin'dorei is one of the best in Azeroth's lore.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mostly play BE, VE and NE because they ARE fantasy.
    In alot of story's Elfs are portrayed as strong magical beings.
    Also, mog, they look good in all armors and with all weapons.

Tolkien popularized the shit out of elves. Everyone wants to be Legolas and Arwen.

Let's start with the obvious one. Void elves are hot. Like, if I'm playing a game I want my character to look sexy, I don't want to play an ugly monster.

I like their general theme of mystery and knowledge. I think both Alleria and Umbric are interesting characters. Power-hungry but at the same time retaining some sense of honor, and that's how I envision my void elf too. I also believe they subvert expectations in a nice way, because usually elves are noble creatures of light, but void elves are basically like a secret chaotic good cult.

Finally, their heritage armor is one of the main reasons why I main a void elf. It's the best armor set in the game.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-12-28 at 04:26 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

The blood elves intrigued me in WC3 and I was really looking forward to see them become playable. I don't like the male ones because of their portrayal being... rather fabulous, but the female were all beauties. I think Blizzard intentially tried to make them more attractive because they needed a good looking race on Horde to help out faction balance. For some reason people also find female draeneis captivating which just baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Let's start with the obvious one. Void elves are hot. Like, if I'm playing a game I want my character to look sexy, I don't want to play an ugly monster.
    Wait, hold up, what part of the Void Elf say... sickly looking skin and cow lick over moussed looking hair is more attractive than say, their Blood Elf, Night Elf or Nightborne counterparts? I get the "elves in general are attractive" argument, but aesthetically, Void Elves are probably the most "monstrous" looking, what with there being literal void tentacles sticking out of their hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Wait, hold up, what part of the Void Elf say... sickly looking skin and cow lick over moussed looking hair is more attractive than say, their Blood Elf, Night Elf or Nightborne counterparts? I get the "elves in general are attractive" argument, but aesthetically, Void Elves are probably the most "monstrous" looking, what with there being literal void tentacles sticking out of their hair.
    Night elves and nightborne look like shit. I can't take them seriously with those huge ass eyes and hands.

I much prefer void elves over the blood elves because they look hotter with dark skin and british accent. Also because blood elves have basically gone back to being lame goody goody two shoes who don't dabble in dark magic because it's dangerous.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Night elves and nightborne look like shit. I can't take them seriously with those huge ass eyes and hands.

I much prefer void elves over the blood elves because they look hotter with dark skin and british accent. Also because blood elves have basically gone back to being lame goody goody two shoes who don't dabble in dark magic because it's dangerous.
    Ah, you dig the edge lord look and dark brooding type personality. To each their own.

Personally, I think blood elves and nightborne are my two favorites of the elf variant, lore-wise and aesthetically. They just define what I want out of elves, even if the Sin'dorei lost their edge, they just have such a rich history and in an MMORPG, it's all about making your own story. I too hate night elves and everything about them, but the Night Warrior eyes are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Ah, you dig the edge lord look and dark brooding type personality. To each their own.

Personally, I think blood elves and nightborne are my two favorites of the elf variant, lore-wise and aesthetically. They just define what I want out of elves, even if the Sin'dorei lost their edge, they just have such a rich history and in an MMORPG, it's all about making your own story. I too hate night elves and everything about them, but the Night Warrior eyes are cool.
    To each their own indeed. I personally don't find this attractive one bit:

But yeah, I myself am a little edgy in real life so I really like the Ren'dorei. I especially love their quotes.