Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,548
    I think of my body as a temporary dwelling even when no one has died.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  2. #22
    Legendary! Santti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I fear the process of dying, not so much what comes after. If there is nothing after death, I'm not going to experience it.
    That's how I see it as well. Fear dying, not death. Death I feel is basically just dreamless sleeping forever. Or how Mark Twain put it:

    “I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

    So no, I don't really think about death, as I see that there's just not much to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  3. #23
    Rethink? No. I've thought about it every single day since I can remember thanks to suffering from depression since childhood. As a result, I am apathetic to death. I wouldn't care if I died tomorrow. I don't believe in an afterlife, so it would just be the end which doesn't bother me either.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  4. #24
    One of the reasons I don’t kill myself is because it would be unfair to deny nature its right to my life. #truth
    illuminati all over my body

  5. #25
    I have this thing where when I'm about to fall asleep at night, I think of death. It usually involves me thinking about my organs failing on me. Who knows why this happens.

  6. #26
    No because i know its something that must happen and will happen. So i am not afraid to die, the only thing that kinda scares me is that i will be there to witness that happen. Like during some long and painful disease.

  7. #27
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,325
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    No because i know its something that must happen and will happen. So i am not afraid to die, the only thing that kinda scares me is that i will be there to witness that happen. Like during some long and painful disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    Well death is inevitable and unavoidable and being a conscious creature it`s only natural to ponder your own mortality at times,
    though it`s probably not good for you to dwell on the matter for too long.

    I don't think mortality is inevitable or a "must" though. For any given achievement there are only two possibilities, either that achievement is forbidden by the laws of nature or it is not forbidden and is achievable given the right knowledge. There could be a law that says "humans cannot become immortal" however I find that highly unlikely because people are very new and emergent objects in the universe and so the idea that there is law that specifically limits what people can achieve seems unreasonable.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-01-13 at 06:05 PM.
    -------
    Quote of the month:
    All interesting problems are soluble.
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I don't think mortality is inevitable or a "must" though. For any given achievement there are only two possibilities, either that achievement is forbidden by the laws of nature or it is not forbidden and is achievable given the right knowledge. There could be a law that says "humans cannot become immortal" however I find that highly unlikely because people are very new and emergent objects in the universe and so the idea that there is law that specifically limits what people can achieve seems unreasonable.
    If you use logic than who can say we can't be at two places at the same time. Point isn't if our mortality is a certain thing ( as a non religious person i don't believe in afterlife ) but the fact that we know that from the moment we take a 1st breath to the moment we take our last, each and every road we take leads dying. Knowing something doesn't make it scary but quite opposite, amazing thing because its the only certain thing we have right know.

  9. #29
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,325
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    If you use logic than who can say we can't be at two places at the same time. Point isn't if our mortality is a certain thing ( as a non religious person i don't believe in afterlife ) but the fact that we know that from the moment we take a 1st breath to the moment we take our last, each and every road we take leads dying.
    That need not be the case for future generations though. Unless there's some kind of god who set limits for us humans, which would be cruel and sadistic, then we should assume that we can achieve what was previously thought to be impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    the only certain thing we have right know.
    Yes of course, what we have right now is the only certain thing. The future will always be highly uncertain, but that doesn't change the fact that humanity ought to shoot for the stars.
    -------
    Quote of the month:
    All interesting problems are soluble.
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That need not be the case for future generations though. Unless there's some kind of god who set limits for us humans, which would be cruel and sadistic, then we should assume that we can achieve what was previously thought to be impossible.
    Cell degradation is a certain thing right know. Yes if we find a way to stop that then we can achieve immortality in a sense that we wont die due to old age, some diseases and so, but we cant cheat death. You can get hit by the car and die, you can die in a plane crash. And even if we mange to clone our bodies, achieve ability to transfer our thoughts and copy out entire brain... it would be a privilege of rich people.

    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yes of course, what we have right now is the only certain thing. The future will always be highly uncertain, but that doesn't change the fact that humanity ought to shoot for the stars.
    Yes the future is uncertain but some laws that nature has can't be broken. Would you really love to life for thousands of years?

  11. #31
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,325
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Cell degradation is a certain thing right know. Yes if we find a way to stop that then we can achieve immortality in a sense that we wont die due to old age, some diseases and so, but we cant cheat death. You can get hit by the car and die, you can die in a plane crash. And even if we mange to clone our bodies, achieve ability to transfer our thoughts and copy out entire brain... it would be a privilege of rich people.
    Cell degradation and accidents can always be reduced though. We shouldn't accept them as inevitable.

    Yes the future is uncertain but some laws that nature has can't be broken. Would you really love to life for thousands of years?
    Yes of course I would prefer to live for thousands of years, there are an infinite amount of mysteries to be discovered, which means an infinite amount of fun in figuring them out. In my view "fun" is what should drive people forward.
    -------
    Quote of the month:
    All interesting problems are soluble.
    Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to pre-determine the future.

  12. #32
    I do but I more think of my parents mortality. They are a huge part of my life and I literally do not know how I will be able to handle either of their deaths. My husband is in for a really bad time when either of my parents dies. I am lucky to have awesome parents who are a huge part of my life.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I don't think mortality is inevitable or a "must" though. For any given achievement there are only two possibilities, either that achievement is forbidden by the laws of nature or it is not forbidden and is achievable given the right knowledge. There could be a law that says "humans cannot become immortal" however I find that highly unlikely because people are very new and emergent objects in the universe and so the idea that there is law that specifically limits what people can achieve seems unreasonable.
    Until science alters our understanding of how life and death operates in such a profound manner so as
    to render these concepts outdated and unnecessary, it seems only fair to assume that anything that`s alive will
    at some point die.

    That`s just basing your knowledge of reality on past experiences and the certainties that we all face.
    That`s not to say that medical science can`t stem aging in some way, there have been some interesting research in that area.

    For now on the other hand, the practical application of health has it`s primary purpose be to extend life and
    delay death for as long as is possible.
    Of course there are exceptions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •