Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cross Realm BGs killed the classic spirit?

Anyone else feeling that Cross Realm BGs ruined the Classic experience?

For me, P2 was outstanding as it was played within a closed realm.
    Upon the release of cross realm BGs the realm has felt dead. You're no longer running into players on the same server.

P2 was fun getting to know the pvp oriented players and guilds on the other faction and what to expect. Then you never use this knowledge again as you all qeueue into randoms and oh btw, they probably transferred off if they were alliance. can't blame them, sucks tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    P2 was a complete nightmare with people caming BRM 24/7. They still do at some level but atleast cross realm bgs made it better. Can't imagine the queues horde would have if we didn't have crossrealm BG, they would have like 1 hour queue and STILL camp BRM and various FPs like they did before.

P2 was terrible, one of the most awful experience I ever had in a videogame, and I'm playing since late 80's. Cross Realm BGs are a cool breeze, so to me it made the game playable again. Therefore OP, I totally disagree with your statement, imho it's quite the opposite actually.
    The only one thing I liked about P2 is that it teaches you how easily you can manipulate people with the slightest carrot.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post

Upon the release of cross realm BGs the realm has felt dead. You're no longer running into players on the same server.
    yeah ... horde definitly needs more queue time ...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's the honest 'spirit' people are talking about?

P2 as a whole was a complete disaster, well before BGs even came into play and there's absolutely nothing Blizzard could have done to mitigate it. Whatever they did with P2 was going to bad, and the cross realm BGs (which existed near the end of Vanilla) aren't to blame.

You know who you blame? The actual community as a whole. The amount of people who wanted their true 'authentic' classic experience were never going to truly get it, simply because we're operating 15 years down the line and people are surrounded by people who are completely obsessed with meta gaming the shit out of this game (not that there's anything wrong with that).

There were people who farmed for a couple months prior to P2's arrival just to have full consumables for wPvP and the eventual release of BGs. You know what didn't happen 15 years ago? People didn't farm full consumables for wPvP and BGs when they were first released. You live in an age now where information is rampant and people have 'practiced' playing this game for nearly a decade that it was never going to be the same. Nobody camped hot spot areas for hours on end 15 years ago for maximum honor per hour. Why? Because the PvE content was actually engaging (even though a lot of it was a bugged mess) and people didn't have the time to spend sitting there farming consumables or farming HKs in BRM for days at a time.

So did cross realm BGs ruin the spirit of classic? No, it was basically ruined from the start because it was destined to be ruined from the start. Is it still fun? Yeah. The low stress of hanging out with buds raiding for a couple hours at most a week on relatively easy content is actually pretty enjoyable. People are just trying to find excuses as to why it doesn't feel the same, when the answer is literally hitting you in the face the entire time. It's 15 years old and it's impossible to reset everyone's knowledge or put yourself in the position you were in 15 years ago. Regardless of what version they launched the game with, we were always going to arrive at the same conclusion. Servers are bigger, people don't like to lose (people transferring off immediately at even slight population imbalances) and there's a wealth of knowledge about every little thing concerning the game.

Still fun, but no, cross realm BGs didn't ruin the spirit.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. AV being the meta is in the process of killing the Classic PvP spirit if nothing else. The premade situation has aggravated it even further, to where you have a situation where the good alliance players are ALL in premades, and the scrubs/afkers are all left to get stomped by Horde, which has the intended mix of good and bad players.

So with very few servers that are anywhere close to being balanced, if the classic spirit was continuously get erased from the map due to severe outnumbering, get 20 hk total a day or wait for hours in queue because of non-existant opposite faction, then sure, it killed the classic spirit. And it's not even a bad thing.

1hr queues are short compared to the 2-5hr queues you had in vanilla on both factions.

I remember sitting in queue for 7hrs one day.

I think it is needed as classic is slowly dieing

Blizzard took care with the staggered release of content to give each phase some sort of relevance.
    Delaying DM for some time was in my opinion a generally good call for the overall experience of classic.

However, Phase 2 just threw that out of the window.
    Releasing the honor system without BG's was not a great call, the honor system without bg's existed for merely 5 weeks back in Vanilla.
    To "re capture" those 5 weeks, Blizzard basically threw Server balance under the bus, not a good call in my opinion.

They should have released BG's like two weeks after the honor release, when it became obvious that it damaged a realms population, but instead they delayed for multiple weeks, while server transfers were still open (In EU, there weren't even faction specific transfers).

Releasing 1.12 AV was also a mistake, this where their inconsistent behavior regarding changes during classic killed it.
    This version of AV came into existance in Vanilla when people stopped caring about the honor rewards as most of them were surpassed by AQ rewards.
    But back in Vanilla, when there only was MC / BWL, AV was far less efficient in terms of honor because the BG's had a lot more barriers in place to prevent extreme rush strats.

Therefore, the Meta choice was WSG, not AV.

I don't think it would have resulted in a magically superior experience, but some of rather negative player behavior could have been lessened if Blizzard had given more attention for what they actually release - without adding anything into said content that wasn't part of Vanilla.

But i don't think cross realms killed that spirit, if they had held Crossrealm bg's back, they would have eradicated the smaller faction on any server, barring the few people who want to use that server to rank and then GTFO to a more populated server.

Umm, not to burst your bubble but wow has always had cross realm BGs in a sense. Back in Vanilla to, I wanna say, WotLK, we had battlegroups, which were a group of about 5-6 realms that all participated in BGs together.

So, no, the realm feeling dead has nothing to do with the fact that it is cross realm, but that BGs are out period. Most people are in the major cities queuing up instead of roaming the world. It was like that in vanilla, and is like that now.

I'm on a hord dominated server as ally and loved p2. I mostly solod but did some small grouping. People are just bad dumb and lazy, those are the ones who disliked p2.

x server ques are really good for the WSG que.

While yes you may know your enemies better without it, you'll get to know them anyway. And one team has a difficult time killing the que

Modern Internet mentality. It is toxicity. People don't interact on the Internet in the way they used to. You can't turn back time. The Internet of 2020 is advertisement and toxicity. Shrug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    Umm, not to burst your bubble but wow has always had cross realm BGs in a sense. Back in Vanilla to, I wanna say, WotLK, we had battlegroups, which were a group of about 5-6 realms that all participated in BGs together.

So, no, the realm feeling dead has nothing to do with the fact that it is cross realm, but that BGs are out period. Most people are in the major cities queuing up instead of roaming the world. It was like that in vanilla, and is like that now.
    No it hasn't. For a good time in Vanilla, there were no cross realm BGs or Battlegroups, which were later added in 1.12, So battlegrounds were realm only for a long time.

Since we're talking about Classic here, having x-realm battlegrounds released so soon is quite different to how it was.

Was the same in vanilla, when CRBGs was released the PvP community died out completely on our server. But today you have the community cross-realm with discord etc so you still get that. Better than nothing atleast.

I wish they'd atleast put 2-3 min extra queue for Alliance (not like it's needed for Horde lol) and prioritize same server battles as much as you can. And fill up with other servers players.

This way there would still be a decent PvP community per server.

It is a bit unfortunate, but I don't really think anything is lost by having Cross-Realm BGs, and a lot is gained.

I was never one to care about the opposing faction on my server so having shorter queue times is far better than seeing the same people. Granted I'm not a hardcore PvPer so it probably would matter more to someone who is interested in learning all their opponents and just farming them without much difficulty. Cross Realm Battlegrounds make that substantially harder
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

I have no memory of cross realm ruining the experience, but then again it was like 14 years ago when they were implemented. However I do believe that they were a welcome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    No it hasn't. For a good time in Vanilla, there were no cross realm BGs or Battlegroups, which were later added in 1.12, So battlegrounds were realm only for a long time.

Since we're talking about Classic here, having x-realm battlegrounds released so soon is quite different to how it was.
    Um seeing they were in 1.12, then that means original Vanilla. You can't say the statement "No it hasn't" when you just admitted it did. Plus, I personally remember battlegroups in pvp because I played a twink 19 rogue for WSG fun during Vanilla. Classic is supposed to be a mirror of 1.12 anyway, which means cross-realm, aka battlegroup, pvp. If you don't like it, get over it, but it does not kill the pvp scene. What kills the pvp scene is premades and try hards.

If you are a social player, you will never, and I repeat, never be a high rank in pvp. It requires a large time commitment and dealing with the premades. Plus, to say it ruins Classic is saying that the one aspect of pvp is controlling Classic. Vanilla was all about the journey to 60 and following a story to save the world. Hence, a pvp system didn't even launch with the game. Pvp isn't everything, and if you think it is then you need to grow up, deal with your crap world of pvp, and quit whining when you don't get your way.