Thread: Old Tank Creed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Really? I love it when someone pulls before I do and just let them die. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside when someone is retarded.
    The problem is, IMO the tank who sabotages the group by letting someone die JUST because they pulled without your consent is the retarded one...so long as the group could have handled it. If you make a judgement call as a tank to let the idiot who pulled more than the group could chew die in a way to save the group from a wipe, good call....but that's not is really happening here.

It just depends, modern WoW that doesn't happen too often, in classic though. mmmmmm like fine wine lmao.
    See statement above.

In Retail, there's very few situations where the group couldn't handle an extra pull. In Classic, yeah, an unintended or unexpected pull could mean a group wipe so letting the puller die is the best call to prevent a wipe. but again, that's not really what's going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The problem is, IMO the tank who sabotages the group by letting someone die JUST because they pulled without your consent is the retarded one...so long as the group could have handled it. If you make a judgement call as a tank to let the idiot who pulled more than the group could chew die in a way to save the group from a wipe, good call....but that's not is really happening here.
    That is what happens when I tank, I only let that person die because I am not a dick lol.

You might be talking about this one. It is not a tank, but a warrior one. But your question instantly reminded me of this classic:

---

I am the Warrior.

When you see me, I will, most likely, not be attired formally. I will be encased in my steel. It will be dirty, bloody, and battered. I do not have a quick tongue or eloquent speech. I know nothing of the manners of the King's court, or the ettiquette of the formal ball.

I am known by many names. Tank. Meatshield. Fighter. Brawler. Corpse.

I am the Warrior.

I have not the capability, nor the inclination, to hide. I cannot strike from stealth with devastating blows, then fade into the darkness. I cannot incinerate a foe from twenty paces away. I cannot deal death from a distance, safe from the return attacks of my enemy. In order to kill, I must close with the enemy. I see his eyes. I smell his breath. I taste his fear. And he tastes mine.

I cannot bend Nature to do my bidding. I cannot tap into the Nether and force it to do what I command. I cannot study the arcane and master it to my control. I command nought but my mind, my body, and my will. It is by those, and those alone, that I stand or fall.

I have no friends on my journey. No walkers of the void, summoned from the Nether as servants and bodyguards. No loyal beasts of the plains or woods, to defend me and comfort me in my pain. My sole companion is my weapon. I must care for it better than any hunter has ever cared for his beast. I must master it more than any warlock has ever mastered his demon. Without me, it is useless. Without it, I am nothing.

I cannot heal. I cannot shield. I cannot call upon the gods and see my prayers answered. I call to the spirits of my ancestors in the heat of battle, and they are silent. My only ability to protect is to offer myself, my blood and bone and sinew, as a sacrifice. To draw the attacks of our foes. To take the blows that would kill a lesser being, and continue to fight on.

I cannot kill with the speed and grace of the rogue, the suddenness and shock of the hunter, or the flamboyance and power of the mage. When I kill, it is a slow business. Slow and bloody for all concerned, myself included. I fight on, pummeled and battered so that my companions may receive the glory of the kill and the wreaths of victory. If I die and they yet live, it is an expected sacrifice.

I come in all races, all sizes. I fight under a thousand flags, on a million battlefields. I am dismissed by the highborn, scorned by the noble, lectured by the priest, and forgotten by the peasant. Until the time when the trumpets of battle sound, and those who would destroy them come forth. And then the cry goes up..."Where, oh where, is the Warrior?"

Pray to your gods that I continue to answer that call.

Few do answer the call. Fewer still survive. It is a long and hard road, this way of the Warrior. Along it lie pain, and fear, and death. Scant rewards and scanter gratitude. At the end, for most, is an anonymous grave on some windblown battlefield. If they are lucky.

And yet, I fight on. I do not even know why. Perhaps for glory, perhaps for fame, perhaps for money, perhaps for my country, perhaps for my family. Perhaps it is simply all I know how to do. But fight I will. Whether you appreciate it or not. Whether you even notice it or not. I will be out there, on the battle lines. Fighting. Killing. Dying.

I am the Warrior.

Death is my business.

Be it yours...or mine.

Quote Originally Posted by brighthammer View Post
    Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from. (I actually got more use out of "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, if the dps die, it's their own damn fault.")

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the rest of this creed from the Golden Age (for me, at least) of tanking, I would really appreciate it.
    You only started this thread because you want to be cool and think this "tank creed" gets you pumped to play a video game. You want to feel important and that what you're doing matters, and that you're the hero.

pretty sad.

This creed is pretty stupid. If DPS dies, it's usually the healers fault.. or the tanks fault unless they pull or fail mechanics. That creed suggests that a good healer can get away with just healbotting the tank.. yea right. That isn't even possible in classic.

I tanked and healed for years dating all the way back to vanilla beta, never heard any creed for tanks, only thing i remember is getting pissed when ppl didnt go by the marking priority, and stressing out over threat when we got a naxx geared mage in our zg raid.

That is what happens when I tank, I only let that person die because I am not a dick lol.
    Fair enough then.

I've been in a couple groups where the tank literally ignored targets that someone else pulled, even if the group could handle them so I know SOME people take the "you pull it, you tank it" mentality WAY too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by brighthammer View Post
    Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from. (I actually got more use out of "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, if the dps die, it's their own damn fault.")

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the rest of this creed from the Golden Age (for me, at least) of tanking, I would really appreciate it.
    A quick Google search took me to this website, http://www.fibergeek.com/chicanery/2...paladin-creed/

Quoting the relevant part
    My comrades are my weapons, and I am their shield. While I draw breath, they shall not perish. So long as they live, our enemies will fall. I am defender, protector, guardian. I am a Paladin.
    Sounds like what you were looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't understand why this is necessary. If the you can tank it, and the healer and DPS can handle it...I don't see the problem with the group moving faster. If people die because this kind of stuff happens and the pull goes awry I understand...but just getting butthurt because someone other than YOU, the tank, pulled and letting them die over it? Why?
    This was literally TBC days when if you over pulled in SLABs in a pug you died. One person sacrificed to teach a lesson is better than constantly wiping the group. So maybe context before you assume butthurt. Now a days it rarely happens because you cant find dps in dungeon groups who know how to do damage, let alone pull repeatedly. I will teach the lesson on leveling groups if i am working on an alt. I also typically say don't do that, then if they do again, i let them die, pick up the add, clear and move on, leaving them to run back.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    This was literally TBC days when if you over pulled in SLABs in a pug you died. One person sacrificed to teach a lesson is better than constantly wiping the group. So maybe context before you assume butthurt. Now a days it rarely happens because you cant find dps in dungeon groups who know how to do damage, let alone pull repeatedly. I will teach the lesson on leveling groups if i am working on an alt. I also typically say don't do that, then if they do again, i let them die, pick up the add, clear and move on, leaving them to run back.
    Context does matter, I've made a couple posts clarifying my stance. A sacrifice to prevent a group wipe is totally acceptable. But I honestly have...rarely... seen in the days since TBC people taking this "creed" quite literally. Which is ridiculous.

For some reason i just had to think about Ubisoft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Sorry,the only tank creed I know is "You pull it,you tank it".
    ^That's the only tank creed I've ever heard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InfernalDark View Post
    What about Apollo?
    It's funny because he pulled it and couldn't tank it....lmao.

Really? I love it when someone pulls before I do and just let them die. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside when someone is retarded.
    It's even better when the healer is in on it and actually lets the guy die

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Yes this is true, in modern WoW it happens far less though since aggro is instant when you hit something as a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Hey where did you get that profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Only tanks i see that say that are usually the ones with small ego trying to feel strong once in their life.
    Otherwise you just waste time killing off dps sabotaging your own group, when all you had todo was press a button that isnt on even on gcd to get agro and i say that as someone who tanks for many years.
    As someone who has tanked from the beginning of the game, I won't. Unless it's an accident. I pull what I can handle and have the CD's up to deal with, if some shitbag DPS wants to constantly pull things they can learn the repercussions. If we are going to survive the pull it will be with or without him. If you want to pull, roll a tank class, tank, and feel free. Otherwise you're just a massive annoyance

Dunno if someone mentioned it, but Op's quote is from Shield Hero anime trailer, not from wow.

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemPenguin View Post
    Hey where did you get that profile picture
    yoinked it from a pretty neat picture drawn by someone named Tooth

15+ Year Old Account
    I tend to taunt at the last second if someone pulls unwanted mobs. Let them sweat for a bit XD

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Usual mmo-champion.

"I am bad"
    That's all you needed to say bro

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't understand why this is necessary. If the you can tank it, and the healer and DPS can handle it...I don't see the problem with the group moving faster. If people die because this kind of stuff happens and the pull goes awry I understand...but just getting butthurt because someone other than YOU, the tank, pulled and letting them die over it? Why?
    because its FUCKIN ANNOYING to run around chasing threat trying to pull mobs stuck to 5 different people when a dps decides to pull