Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    The real question is who is gona pay for it.
    That's an interesting one, especially in countries that do not have some sort of nationalised health services. I wonder whether we will start seeing yearly (or however often we need boosters) nationalised vaccination services set up around the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    That's an interesting one, especially in countries that do not have some sort of nationalised health services. I wonder whether we will start seeing yearly (or however often we need boosters) nationalised vaccination services set up around the world.
    It really depends on how this thing progresses. There is years of COVID19 ahead, but maybe the vaccine we had will be sufficient to last just enough to eliminate this altogether -OR- until there will be effective medicine for it.

Who's gonna pay? You and I. These $750m USD we threw at Phizer/Moderna ultimately came from state revenues from taxes and other ways to make people pay.

In our case we already have MOH floating the idea that next year we will be taking booster shot at the very least.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually our local news report that on top of ~$750m USD already spent to procure 15 million jabs, there is another planned round of additional $750m USD for additional vaccine shots including for potential 3rd booster in Summer/Autumn period.

Sauce: https://www.ynet.co.il/economy/artic...1RQ00#autoplay

Translate to English for details.

Note: stated sums are not pure vaccine costs, it's also transportation, training and so on.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-03-16 at 05:15 PM.

Well who'd have thunk... the good guys at Pfizer see an opportunity to increase vaccine prices...
    https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/pf...e-price-2021-3
    ...this is my shocked face.

Well who'd have thunk... the good guys at Pfizer see an opportunity to increase vaccine prices...

I mean...I get he's talking to shareholders and whatnot, but how much of an absolute ghoul of a human being does one have to be to sit there with a straight face and talk about the profit potential for booster shots to protect against a second covid-19 pandemic?

Seriously, eat the fuckin rich.

Strange part is they are seeing a larger # of blood clot side effects then Astra from the reports last night. Still both Vaccinations are seeing a lower instance of blood clots then what occurs naturally in the population.

One could almost argue its causing a decrease in them.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...I get he's talking to shareholders and whatnot, but how much of an absolute ghoul of a human being does one have to be to sit there with a straight face and talk about the profit potential for booster shots to protect against a second covid-19 pandemic?

Seriously, eat the fuckin rich.
    On bad days I think that Santis and Abott care about making sure the virus stays strong to make sure that the virus makers can make lots of money off of annual booster shots. Their actions can't really be explained by anything less sinister sometimes.

But the vaccine makers have already started getting people used to the idea of annual booster shots. It's what maximizes their profits. When polio was cured and not just managed, a lot of jobs were lost and a lot of profit went down the drain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    On bad days I think that Santis and Abott care about making sure the virus stays strong to make sure that the virus makers can make lots of money off of annual booster shots. Their actions can't really be explained by anything less sinister sometimes.

But the vaccine makers have already started getting people used to the idea of annual booster shots. It's what maximizes their profits. When polio was cured and not just managed, a lot of jobs were lost and a lot of profit went down the drain.
    I mean... is it really so wrong that those who created the vaccine get to actually be rewarded for their good work?

I have no qualms about Phizer raking in all that dough - it's well deserved and it is a good incentive for the inevitable next time when we get some another bullshit escaping from lab out to the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I mean... is it really so wrong that those who created the vaccine get to actually be rewarded for their good work?
    They are, they're still making money off of the vaccine from what I know. And keeping people alive is still in their best interests. They can't sell their other drugs to dead people, yo. That's the reward, they keep people alive which is objectively a pretty good thing, and those people who are still alive are all potential customers for their other products.

15+ Year Old Account

I have no qualms about Phizer raking in all that dough - it's well deserved and it is a good incentive for the inevitable next time when we get some another bullshit escaping from lab out to the wild.
    They received 500mio in government funds to develop the vaccine. Isn't it awesome? First the taxpayers fund the development, then the taxpayers pay for receiving the vaccine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    They received 500mio in government funds to develop the vaccine. Isn't it awesome? First the taxpayers fund the development, then the taxpayers pay for receiving the vaccine.
    And here I thought money was less important than saving lives...

- - - Updated - - -

If you'd ask me, that's the best use of the taxpayers' money in a loooong while.

Working at the Airport, wonder if the company will have vaccines for its staff for 'essential' work to skip ahead of the queue...

15+ Year Old Account
    And here I thought money was less important than saving lives...

- - - Updated - - -

If you'd ask me, that's the best use of the taxpayers' money in a loooong while.
    Right, that money can't otherwise be used to save lives, no no, it's only covid that kills people and of course, companies should profit off of it because reasons.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, that money can't otherwise be used to save lives, no no, it's only covid that kills people and of course, companies should profit off of it because reasons.
    Yeah, cool beans bruv. I used to come from a hammer and sickle country too with these ideas - high spirit and morals can only get you so far, komrad.

Nope, I see no issue with those who literally saved the world getting their $$. There are A LOT more other caravans you could choose to bark on where it would be far more appropriate.

Gaidax, how much you are willing to pay them? There is a fine line to everything. Covid is already gold mine for them, but why that should mean they get to rise prices "because reasons"?
    You do not have to be commie to dislike the very idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    153k vaccinated with it in sweden... 6 cases of blood clots reported after vaccination with it... it also has the most reported side effects of the 3 that are used in sweden... 7490... versus the pfizer vaccine... it has 517k vaccinated with it and there is 4661 reports of side effects with it...
    40 cases on 17 million total vaccinations, no? That is ridiculously low. People are really bad at grasping big numbers/statistics. Yes, I would too prefer generally more effective vaccines but it seems pretty much bullshit that AZ kills people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, cool beans bruv. I used to come from a hammer and sickle country too with these ideas - high spirit and morals can only get you so far, komrad.
    lol wat? Ok brah. Damn, you ran out of arguments in warp speed.

Nope, I see no issue with those who literally saved the world getting their $$. There are A LOT more other caravans you could choose to bark on where it would be far more appropriate.
    You, see no issue with the taxpayer paying double for something? I mean, we are in a pandemic and the vaccines don't get delivered to everyone as fast as possible to get everything back on track, no no, the businesses that were publicly funded to create the vaccine should also turn a profit.

So why do you hate every other industry?

What problems do you think are more pressing than getting the vaccines to everyone as fast as possible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Gaidax, how much you are willing to pay them? There is a fine line to everything. Covid is already gold mine for them, but why that should mean they get to rise prices "because reasons"?
    You do not have to be commie to dislike the very idea.
    From what our news report - we paid so far $750m USD and intend to pay another $750m USD to cover 3rd boosters and long term.

I'd say, seeing our results - it was worth it. The reopened economy will get all that money back, while, let's say, EU is chocking in bureaucracy and penny pinching for example.

- - - Updated - - -

lol wat? Ok brah. Damn, you ran out of arguments in warp speed.
    Funney... US has 500k dead and people still discussing taxpayers' money. KEKW.

You'd pay 3 times that much to halve that number if it would do the trick.

One of the reasons we're in this shit is because instead of spending megabucks into healthcare R&D and services, those megabucks were spent into bullshit like F-35 and making sure we can destroy the world 5000 times over instead of just 2000. Talk about taxpayers' money...

So yeah, you bet I'm glad $$ goes where it should have gone, if we would not be living in this fucked up perpetual power struggle arms race.

Maybe the good outcome of all this shit will be finally taxpayers' $$ put into healthcare, infrastructure and education instead of bullshit.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-03-17 at 02:11 PM.

From what our news report - we paid so far $750m USD and intend to pay another $750m USD to cover 3rd boosters and long term.

I'd say, seeing our results - it was worth it. The reopened economy will get all that money back, while, let's say, EU is chocking in bureaucracy and penny pinching for example.
    My question was more about on what basis they could increase the price, what "reasons"? Surely your taxes can be spent even better instead of "oh they did a good job, let's give them more money than before for the same job".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question was more about on what basis they could increase the price, what "reasons"? Surely your taxes can be spent even better instead of "oh they did a good job, let's give them more money than before for the same job".
    I think that overall this whole thing needs WAY more context than some people screaming murder over hearsay.

It's not a big secret that many countries negotiated their own deals with their own prices and so on. It's a tad bigger of a business than some local coffee shop, that's what negotiations are for.

After all said and done, if price for specific vaccine is unacceptable there are other options. AZ/Sputik/Sinovac is cheap like dirt if that's primary concern and they all seem to do the trick and you can bet there will be few others soon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Funney... US has 500k dead and people still discussing taxpayers' money. KEKW.

You'd pay 3 times that much to halve that number if it would do the trick.

One of the reasons we're in this shit is because instead of spending megabucks into healthcare R&D and services, those megabucks were spent into bullshit like F-35 and making sure we can destroy the world 5000 times over instead of just 2000. Talk about taxpayers' money...

So yeah, you bet I'm glad $$ goes where it should have gone, if we would not be living in this fucked up perpetual power struggle arms race.

Maybe the good outcome of all this shit will be finally taxpayers' $$ put into healthcare, infrastructure and education instead of bullshit.
    Can someone explain to me how this post is related to my quote?

This is just useless babble.

My question was more about on what basis they could increase the price, what "reasons"?
    Well, when I look at the new statements made by Pfizer (and not the paraphrasing done by "journalists") they are answering a question about increasing the price from Barclay (referencing some earlier statement), but I can only see that Pfizer give a vague statement about lots of opportunities in terms of pricing and demand.

I can see several opportunities for them:
    They had a lots of start-up costs for developing and starting production of vaccines during the last year; and it might be that needed supplies were extra expensive. Thus without changing anything the next year they can still make a good profit.
    They can also increase the price by packaging it differently (just look at what pharma companies normally do).
    And it might be that they claim they have a premium product (and technically the booster is a new product) compared to others and people will pay more.
    Or it is just that the discounts were given to governments and they will sign new contracts with other health-care providers and see an opportunity.

Note that some (but not all) vaccine manufacturers have claimed that they will forgo profits during the pandemic; the consequence was kind of obvious.