10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Well... five immobile in house cell towers stuck to the fridge.
    Get five fridges, reception and beer in every room.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Get five fridges, reception and beer in every room.
    Absolute genius, right there.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Seems Pfizer got a pill even better than Merck's Molnupiravir: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...ment-candidate:
    • Ritonavir was found to reduce the risk of hospitalization or death by 89% compared to placebo in non-hospitalized high-risk adults with COVID-19
    • In the overall study population through Day 28, no deaths were reported in patients who received Ritonavir as compared to 10 deaths in patients who received placebo
    For comparison Merck's Molnupiravir reduced hospitalization or death by 50% - but also reduced deaths to zero in their study.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2021-11-05 at 06:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Seems Pfizer got a pill even better than Merck's Molnupiravir: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...ent-candidate:
    • Ritonavir was found to reduce the risk of hospitalization or death by 89% compared to placebo in non-hospitalized high-risk adults with COVID-19
    • In the overall study population through Day 28, no deaths were reported in patients who received Ritonavir as compared to 10 deaths in patients who received placebo
    For comparison Merck's Molnupiravir reduced hospitalization or death by 50% - but also reduced deaths to zero in their study.
    Any of them will be a lot better then the meds that are currently being given to pacients, an improvement.

Once we manage to treat covid we will be hable to get back to our lives, vaccines are not enought. Sadly my expectations are always above what we can really get.

They've found mink-to-human transmission. That's why those mink farms were destroyed.
    There were also indications that some mink-variants might possibly had been worse; it seems it was a false warning so far.

However, luckily there are now vaccines - https://yle.fi/news/3-12122929 and even vaccine mandates https://www.opb.org/article/2021/07/...ines-covid-19/

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems Pfizer got a pill even better than Merck's Molnupiravir: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...ent-candidate:
    It's Paxlovid, not Ritonavir. Ritonavir is an HIV antiviral that is used in low dosage as a supplemental to increase the uptake of Paxlovid.

- - - Updated - - -

However, luckily there are now vaccines - https://yle.fi/news/3-12122929 and even vaccine mandates https://www.opb.org/article/2021/07/...ines-covid-19/
    I mean, 'yay', but also... the fur trade.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Some numbers from Imperial County to show that high Covid case does not correlate to hospitalization anymore.

7-day case rate per 100k: 204.18

Positivity: 9.49%

Damn! Imperial County hospitals must be overwhelmed. Just like Central Valley hospitals.

7-day hospital admission rate per capita: 12.32

% acute hospital bed occupied last 7 days: 3.16%

% ICU hospital bed occupied last 7 days: 3.42%

So low?

It was hit hard in 2020. Both the summer and winter surges were the some of the worst in California. Which built a lot of natural immunities. AND very high vaccination rate. 86.5% of Imperial County population 12 years and older are fully vaccinated. Hence high case rate, but very low Delta associated hospitalization and mortality rates.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-11-05 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Yay! Estonia is finally the first at something!

As of today, we are first in the world by new cases per 100k people.
    Dear northern brother, congratulations for taking the first place from us, we held it for like two weeks. We do, however, have the highest mortality in EU/EEZ now xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Any of them will be a lot better then the meds that are currently being given to pacients, an improvement.
    Yes, easier to administer and working better.

The other options cannot be taken as pill as far as I know; dexamethasone (and systemic corticosteroids) was seen as good as it reduced mortality by 30% in hospitalized patients (but did nothing/was bad for non-hospitalized patients) - and importantly it seems you might still use it as a second line of defense. The benefit of monoclonal antibodies seem less clear for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

It's Paxlovid, not Ritonavir. Ritonavir is an HIV antiviral that is used in low dosage as a supplemental to increase the uptake of Paxlovid.
    Ah, I see - they really should standarize how they write the names; it looked exactly like having two names for drugs that they sometimes have - like Molnupiravir/Lagevrio and Ritonavir/Norvir.

The WHO is expecting 500,000 deaths in Europe/Central Asia in the next 3 months. That's not good news.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    At least you have a lockdown now... sort of. Our government does absolutely 0. They are refusing to do any changes.

Minister of education refuses to return to online education. Mayor of Tallinn asked schools to use force middle classes to online education and schools agreed, but now government tries to reverse that.

Minister of culture tried to do something, couldn't and had to resign this week.

Hospitals reported that there were 6 empty beds earlier this week in entire country, not sure what the status of that is right now, but since then ministry of health announced they'll be doing triage thing, which means not accepting elderly people into hospitals and just letting them die. So I guess there'll be more free beds soon.

I'm not surprised though. Our new PM's family is heavily involved in retail shopping business, so she won't do shit. Main opposition also don't give a shit about people, their main goal is to shut down Russian speaking schools and kindergartens and they have no opinion on anything else. The only party that does is in coalition with shitheads because we have too many morons in country supporting idiots. Then there is EKRE party, which is basically Trump level of stupid and they support anti-vaxxers, do their best to stop any attempt at progress and actually got lots of votes in election few weeks ago.

So I think we'll be taking first places in every metric quite soon.
    Netherlands: ''Challenge accepted''.

12k new cases today.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The WHO is expecting 500,000 deaths in Europe/Central Asia in the next 3 months. That's not good news.
    Don't worry maybe they will start chanting that the virus has a 99.8% survival rate like they are in the united states, because.....you know....those hundreds of thousands don't really matter anyway!!! /s
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Don't worry maybe they will start chanting that the virus has a 99.8% survival rate like they are in the united states, because.....you know....those hundreds of thousands don't really matter anyway!!! /s
    I mean, it's also demonstrably worse than 99.8% in the US, since we've lost 0.23% of the population to COVID already, and those are just the "confirmed" numbers and the pandemic is still raging.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Central Valley Counties reimpose COVID limits on ambulance rides for non-emergency patients

Just three weeks after relaxing a policy calling for ambulance crews in Fresno, Kings, Madera and Tulare counties to deny rides to hospitals for patients who were experiencing life-threatening emergencies, local health officials reimposed those limitations again this week.

My sister spent October volunteering at Fresno UCSF. She said that this cycle will keep on repeating itself until either the vaccination rate catch up or the diseases run out of people to infect. The second is probably the most likely scenario. Many or her patients there refused to disclose their vaccination status. She said she just checked the "no" box instead of "unknown."

Meanwhile in Butte county.

Oroville City Council Votes That It Is Now a "Constitutional Republic City" And Declare COVID Independence

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking clown shoes, man.

I wonder if the Camp Fire hit the wrong Butte town.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Central Valley Counties reimpose COVID limits on ambulance rides for non-emergency patients

My sister spent October volunteering at Fresno UCSF. She said that this cycle will keep on repeating itself until either the vaccination rate catch up or the diseases run out of people to infect. The second is probably the most likely scenario. Many or her patients there refused to disclose their vaccination status. She said she just checked the "no" box instead of "unknown."

Meanwhile in Butte county.

Oroville City Council Votes That It Is Now a "Constitutional Republic City" And Declare COVID Independence

Laws and mandates (legally allowed via the appropriate paperwork) are part of the price of admission. You want out, you can be out.

Now, down to the fun part. Cut all import/export until they get a trade treaty with the country that borders them, this shouldn't take but a few years. Water, gas, power, all those are provided by your own companies now, or you negotiate a treaty with the country who controls them. Of course we have to talk about import/export taxes, revocation of any federal, state or county assistance in any form, and revocation of US citizenship. Plus we have to guard our borders.

Of course it's utter bullshit that will get shot down. It's poorly thought out, reactionary, and masturbation material for the base. How many other cities will declare themselves Cuntstiutional republics? Or states. DeSantis hasn't seen a bad idea that he couldn't make shittier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Good Ole Ted Cruz attacked Sesame Street's Big Bird For Getting Vaccinated

"Sesame Street" puppet Big Bird announced his coronavirus vaccination on Twitter – and drew fire from conservatives such as Ted Cruz, who dismissed the vaccine pitch as "government propaganda."

The iconic yellow bird appeared Saturday on CNN's town hall “The ABCs of Covid Vaccines" with journalist Erica Hill. His grandmother, Granny Bird, revealed Big Bird would be receiving the vaccine. Big Bird is generally identified as being about 6 years old. Federal health officials recently granted emergency use authorization to Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine for kids ages 5-11.

That night, Big Bird tweeted: "I got the COVID-19 vaccine today! My wing is feeling a little sore, but it'll give my body an extra protective boost that keeps me and others healthy. Ms. @EricaRHill even said I’ve been getting vaccines since I was a little bird. I had no idea!"

Conservative social media personality Michael Cernovich tweeted a reply: "What’s the treatment for myocarditis in birds?" Myocarditis, heart inflammation, is a very rare side effect of the vaccine.

Fox News host Lisa Boothe tweeted:"Brainwashing children who are not at risk from COVID. Twisted."

Cruz also responded on Twitter: "Government propaganda … for your 5 year old!" That drew a response from Walter Schaub, the former director of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics, who pointed out to the Republican: "You are vaccinated."

- - - Updated - - -

On a less exciting note.

Local Texas Parents Report Little To No Side Effects From Children’s COVID Vaccine

So they discussed myocarditis in birds, and missed the obvious that Big Bird is fairly safe from covid-19 as it primarily infects humans and other mammals and not birds! Tsk tsk.

On a serious Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for 5-11 year olds is only authorized in the US, in the EMA is still evaluating it for authorization in the EU (hopefully it will pass).

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    sweden stopped the vaccination with the moderna vaccine of younger people due to myocarditis recently...

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/...91-och-senare/
    Kaiser Health did a study in Southern California also.

They looked at 2,392,924 vaccinated adults in the Kaiser Permanente health system in Southern California between Dec 14, 2020, to Jul 20, 2021. The researchers found 15 cases of confirmed myocarditis, with 2 after the first and 13 after the second dose. That's 0.8 cases per 1 million first doses and 5.8 per 1 million second doses.

During the same time period, 1,577,741 unvaccinated Kaiser Permanente patients had 75 incidences of myocarditis.

All myocarditis cases linked with vaccination were in men 40 years or younger (median age, 25) with no cardiac disease history. Fourteen (93%) had chest pain 1 to 5 days post-vaccination, and all were discharged from the hospital within a week without needing intensive care. None required readmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Chart from the post above
    I hate that it took me a minute to figure out why 75 cases in a 1.5m pop had a lower incidence rate than 15 in a 2.3m pop. So 6.6 people per million per 10-day interval get non-fatal, short-term myocarditis when taking the vaccine, compared with 2.2 per million per 10 day interval who don't. There have been about 31 deaths per million per 10 day interval in the US if we assume it's been two years since covid came (using this timeframe underestimates deaths per million) and 750k dead (this will also underestimate deaths per million). Net 4.4 non-fatal incidents from the vaccine vs at least 31.2 fatal incidents from covid.

Note: the 4.4 net non-fatal incidents might be higher, because, as they're non-fatal incidents, they might not be reported if a subject doesn't get it checked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..